What's new

Merkur Manufacturer Warranty Info

I am new to DE shaving, I once 25 years ago shaved with a DE then went to Electric - now back to DE.

I bought Merkur on recomendations - now I see a product less then I expected with poor customer service.
2 year warantee - which they are not happy to honour even that - send it to me I dont send anything till I see it - if it is not what I call a problem you dont get anything else.

I find them roude and unhelpful - but then its like so many products these days in this throw away world!

I am not happy to send to Germany the product as I dont think it will come back.

Be aware anyone thinking of buying a MERKUR razor - I told the manager I would post it on the Internet. He didnt care:mad3::mad3:

I recently bought a 12C that I am very happy with. Excellent workmanship and a great shaver.:thumbup1:
Everything is great till it goes wrong - the test of a company is how they deal with faults and problems.

I can sell 1,000,000's of something but if some brake others fall apart and I say thats life - its not good.

:blushing:

George B, your anger is understandable, and I appreciate you bringing these changes to our attention. You need only make your point once here, though -- we're a friendly group that does a good job of believing what folks say the first time. :smile:

It would be interesting to hear from other members who've had recent reason to work with Merkur/Dovo's customer service.

What really bothers me is that if you send pictures of corrosion, rather than saying, "Yes, we can see what you are talking about. Please send back the razor and we will make everything better.", they blame YOU for the problem. Saying that the reason my razors corroded(admitting that it is in fact, corroding) is because of my water, is blaming the victim. I WISH they would have given me a reason to sing their praises. I think that made it even worse. I expected a great experience from all the talk here, and was let down.

Hello, I'm new here and found this thread.

I just had a very unpleasant email exchange with Merkur and agreee with others that their customer service is total crap

I had Merkur Vision for a while and it pretty much never worked right. I finallly decided to email them and see if i can get things fixed.

My problems are pretty common as far as i was able to find

Uneven blade height. left side is lower then right side and one blade side is shorter than other one. When I bought it I believe it had either 10 year warranty or lifetime, can't remember.

Well today I received reply to my email where the warranty is all of a sudden 2 years and they blamed everything but the kitchen sink on me. According to them their razors are as perfect as they get, never any issues and it seems that my problems are related to me not cleaning it often enough. it can also be my water.
They can't see that parts and manufacturing had anything to do with razor breaking down. their suggestion is either to send it to them for out of warranty repair or send it to classicshaving for repair. Now I paid good money for this razor and Merkur is by far has the worst customer service. I've dealt with many RMAs and never had these kind of replies. I paid around $140 for the razor and don't feel like sinking more money into it as I'm sure over time same problems will come back. So i guess its time to move on to something else and This would be the last Merkur product I would buy.

/End of venting :)

Nice vent! :biggrin:

Welcome to B&B -- stick around and you'll discover other good razor options, and world-class camaraderie to boot!

Well, it may not be nice, but the two year warranty is the standard warranty period in the EU. It's what's legally expected and very few manufacturers give more.

thats totally understanable but i'm not sure its legal for them to change it for past purchases. when I purchased it it came explicity with 10 year warranty. I don't think companies can change prior warranty periods and i think they have to honor old warranties and new 2 year period applies only to new purchases. but then again I could be wrong

Well, it may not be nice, but the two year warranty is the standard warranty period in the EU. It's what's legally expected and very few manufacturers give more.

Yes, but even then, you should FIX broken razors that are within the warranty period. Not tell people it's normal wear when their razor corrodes, and then say it is corroding, but it's your water or you cleaned it too hard or not enough and deny the repair.

Yes, but even then, you should FIX broken razors that are within the warranty period. Not tell people it's normal wear when their razor corrodes, and then say it is corroding, but it's your water or you cleaned it too hard or not enough and deny the repair.

Totally agree. This is what separates good companies from bad ones. and Merkur is failing miserably

Last edited:
Just an update. Emailed classicshaving about my problems with Merkur. Totally different customer service. They told me to print out the email, ship the razor to them and they will take a look. So we have 2 completely different companies. on one end of the spectrum we have Merkur which basically blames everyone except for their products. And we have classicshaving which even though have no obligations to help me, provide great customer service by trying to resolve my issue. well guess what, Vision will be the last Merkur product i will buy. I was actually considering getting HD or travel razor from them but after my last email exchange I will not be doing it. I will defintely be getting more stuff from classicshaving.

I'll post back when my razor returns

Another update. Got an email from classic shaving that my original Vision was a factory defect and they shipped me a brand new Vision 6 years after I intially ordered it from them. Talk about excellent customer service. If Merkur is reading this - take notice and learn.

Another update. Got an email from classic shaving that my original Vision was a factory defect and they shipped me a brand new Vision 6 years after I intially ordered it from them. Talk about excellent customer service. If Merkur is reading this - take notice and learn.

So they will admit there were defects to their vendors, but deny it/say it's normal to the customers? I honestly swear when I read some of these accounts, I get more and more upset. I applaud ClassicShaving for their customer service. However, for the amount of razors that are given as gifts and sold/traded on large communities such as this, we are left hanging in the wind by Merkur.

I'm not sure what they admitted to vendor, but message that I got from classic shaving was: Your razor is factory defected, new razor is on its way.

Reading all of this makes me glad I bought a Muhle. Now I have found a shop that stocks Merkur locally and I have compared the razors like for like I can safely say that Muhle/Edwin Jagger appear to have a much finer finish that Merkur. If I did have a problem with my Muhle then I would just fall back on my '53 Gillette, that is still near perfect after 57 years.

I think this is a really serious problem for our 'community'. If I were looking to buy my first DE razor now, I...don't think I would be able to.

A couple of years ago you could get more or less any Gillette (other than NOS or a rare collectible) for a reasonable price. Now crusty Superspeeds cost £50. Merkur razors now don't seem to be very well made (certainly not compared to the vintage Gillettes), have poor quality control, customer care etc. You have Muhle/EJ who are making better razors, but only 3-piece ones (which I don't use). Then you have a few razors made in Asia that unanimously reviewed as being quite poor. We seem to be under the impression here that wetshaving is rapidly growing and guys everywhere are fed up with cartridge prices, but for a lot of the world there may not be affordable alternatives (that are actually any good).

ps this doesn't apply to our CONUS members, obviously, who can get hold of Gillettes more reasonably.

I just got a 39 Slant, the top chrome is a bit marred, I attempted to polish it but I may have made it worst. I would not return it to the vendor as my attempts to fix the problem, maybe made it worst. Does Dovo/Merkur sell spare parts? I only need the top piece for the 39C. I sent an e-mail to Ann and hope for a response. I'll contact the vendor to see if they have spare parts.

Top Bottom