What's new

Merkur, a Wonderful Company (A Happy Ending)

If Merkur don't get their delivery issues sorted soon they are going to lose business and reputation.

They have been slow with deliveries since the beginning of this year. The UK importer still cannot give us a firm delivery date from Merkur and even then, they don't know which models are in a particular delivery until it arrives.

Not a good situation for any of us - including Merkur, so come on guys, sort it out. In this economy, high demand is great, so long as you can satisfy it, if you don't then Muhle, Timor (or even someone you don't even know yet) will fill the gap you leave open.

It's good to hear that at least one person here got good treatment by Merkur.
I have an older model Futur that's built like a rock.
But these newer ones seem to have some QC issues.

Anyway, thanks for sharing this. :001_smile

I thought that razor had a lifetime warranty anyway ?

The Merkur warranty standards have changed. They now have a 10 year warranty on their products for production, workmanship or material faults. It doesn't matter where your Merkur razor was purchased. However, this does not cover wear and tear or abuse. Unfortunately, there may be disagreement between you and Merkur on what is considered normal "wear and tear."

After reading countless stories here about defective Merkur razors...I am less impressed. A " wonderful" company shouldn't be manufacturing products that break all the time.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been toying with the notion of purchasing a Merkur but will not for all the posts concerning their constant breaking.

They also told me that the plating loss on two of my razors(one gold, one chrome) was first:normal wear and tear, then:because of too harsh of cleaning chemicals, and finally:my water quality. I had nothing but praise with them up until that point. I know others may have better experiences, and many have had great experiences in the past, before they changed their warranty limits. It just seems that unless a part snaps or it was really badly cast, they call it normal wear and absolve themselves of any guarantee.I offered to mail it back to them and just asked for a replacement. They said no.

Compare this to someone like Zippo, who sells $10 lighters, but will repair your lighter for free, replace the insert with a new one, and send both the repaired lighter w/new insert and the original insert back to you....for free. And their products aren't covered by laws, like anyone who brands their product "Soligen" are. Sorry, I get bitter after spending over ~$200 on their products, and giving some as gifts, and this was the treatment I received.

Anything metal will tarnish. Dose plating loss effect the shave? After all its a usable instrument not a collectible.

Wonder if I can send back some of my craftsman wrenches and ratchets? They look rough but still work great.:biggrin1:

Case, a company that makes pocket knifes will fix a pocket knife with a broken blade, usually no questions asked, even after some idiot has used their knife as a crow bar.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have been toying with the notion of purchasing a Merkur but will not for all the posts concerning their constant breaking.

Sorry, but I feel that this has been blown somewhat out of proportion. Some shavers here have been very vocal about the failures of both their razors and the Merkur customer service, and quite rightly so.
But this hardly amounts to "constant breaking".

Agreed. I have been taken aback at some of the comments to a series of events which I described in my first post creating this thread. I had a defective part. I notified Merkur. In less than 20-hours they notified me that they shipping me a replacement part.

That's impressive. In fact, that is VERY impressive. Merkur did the right thing.

Somehow my detailing those events generated a backlash against Merkur, which saddens me.

As far as I am concerned, they're at the top of my list.

--james

Sorry, but I feel that this has been blown somewhat out of proportion. Some shavers here have been very vocal about the failures of both their razors and the Merkur customer service, and quite rightly so.

Anything metal will tarnish. Dose plating loss effect the shave? After all its a usable instrument not a collectible.

Wonder if I can send back some of my craftsman wrenches and ratchets? They look rough but still work great.:biggrin1:

Case, a company that makes pocket knifes will fix a pocket knife with a broken blade, usually no questions asked, even after some idiot has used their knife as a crow bar.

This isn't tarnish(will a gold plated item tarnish?)/wear. This is full on corrosion on the razor head. And yes, it will eventually affect the shave as the blade bed/head is not flat now, and in the razor where the corrosion is in the holes where the pins from the top go through, this will push the pins off center and/or give them play. Look at the pictures starting from this one: http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/20028&c=3&userid=7646

And Case is Zippo, so I can understand why they are so great to their customers. As for your Craftsman tools, yes, if there is rust on them, you can bring them back. This is according to a VP of Sears: http://consumerist.com/2009/03/sears-clarifies-craftsman-tools-warranty.html

Again, I am VERY happy that JGKeegan had his problem solved. But you have to understand where it makes me a little bitter because I too had a problem with two of their products, and was just given a default explanation that getting their razors wet will cause them to corrode. It's like that commercial where they give one kid ice cream and not the other, because he was "newer".

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm happy to hear that you had a good experience with them. I also had a major problem with a vision, after weeks and weeks of trying to contact them and never getting a response I turned to where I bought the razor. Classic Shaving. They went beyond the call of duty to help me. I have since and will continue to recommend them to friends. I bought the razor from them two years ago and they kept telling me how sorry they were. The problem was clearly Merkur's and not theirs. Classic Shaving you are a great company and I will continue to buy from you and tell my friends about the great customer service you have. Thanks again.

Seems like a good reminder that folks searching for comments/complaints about a specific item/vendor would do well to look at the number of individual B&B members reporting their experiences, not the number of posts. Oftentimes one member will report the same experience, good or bad, multiple times (sometimes in the same thread...).

Well, let's check past several pages shall we?

Merkur 38C came apart!

HELP: My VISION Broke ... (sob)

Merkur Progress assembly problem!

and to be fair, here are some threads for non Merkur razors with problems

Help Needed w/Super Adjustable

Anyone know how to fix my SS?

Cracked 1920 Bulldog

So, you might be asking yourself. Geez Mr. O, what's the difference? The difference is the last three are concerning vintage razors while the Merkurs are current production razors. I would expect vintage razors to not function at 100% due to their age and wear over their lifetime. But current production razors suffering quality control problems? Seriously?

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from owning a Merker. If you want one, have it. I'm happy with my either my 48 year old slim adjustable or my almost 100 year old Gem razor. Both function as they were made to. Both look almost new with the exception of the numbers on the slim and the fine edges on the Gem handle.

I really would like a a 1904 by Merkur or a Slant. I really do. I'm just leery to pull the trigger when there are periodic threads concerning the quality of the Merkur or more appropriately, the lack thereof.

This isn't tarnish(will a gold plated item tarnish?)/wear. This is full on corrosion on the razor head. And yes, it will eventually affect the shave as the blade bed/head is not flat now, and in the razor where the corrosion is in the holes where the pins from the top go through, this will push the pins off center and/or give them play. Look at the pictures starting from this one: http://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/media/20028&c=3&userid=7646

And Case is Zippo, so I can understand why they are so great to their customers. As for your Craftsman tools, yes, if there is rust on them, you can bring them back. This is according to a VP of Sears: http://consumerist.com/2009/03/sears-clarifies-craftsman-tools-warranty.html

Again, I am VERY happy that JGKeegan had his problem solved. But you have to understand where it makes me a little bitter because I too had a problem with two of their products, and was just given a default explanation that getting their razors wet will cause them to corrode. It's like that commercial where they give one kid ice cream and not the other, because he was "newer".

I looked at the pics, and your right, that doesn't look like normal wear. If they advertise a warranty they should defiantly fix your problem by whatever means. I just bought a slant, its a great razor. I just hope that doesn't happen, as I'm am hoping for more than 2 years of use.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no difficulty explaining the different treatment (see above). Unfortunately for Mr. Radar subsequent customers benifited from change in approach to customers as a result of his poor treatment. Talk about bittersweet!

Happy to hear positive reports about Merkur. I take this as good news...who knows maybe they do pay attention to the people here. I don't put my head in the sand but I heartily welcome good news and hope that Merkur succeeds. After all their are not that many co.that truly cater to the wet shaver.

Well, let's check past several pages shall we?

Merkur 38C came apart!

HELP: My VISION Broke ... (sob)

Merkur Progress assembly problem!

So, you might be asking yourself. Geez Mr. O, what's the difference? The difference is the last three are concerning vintage razors while the Merkurs are current production razors. I would expect vintage razors to not function at 100% due to their age and wear over their lifetime. But current production razors suffering quality control problems? Seriously?

I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from owning a Merker. If you want one, have it. I'm happy with my either my 48 year old slim adjustable or my almost 100 year old Gem razor. Both function as they were made to. Both look almost new with the exception of the numbers on the slim and the fine edges on the Gem handle.

I really would like a a 1904 by Merkur or a Slant. I really do. I'm just leery to pull the trigger when there are periodic threads concerning the quality of the Merkur or more appropriately, the lack thereof.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying there are no problems. Radar O'Reilly's case shows very clearly that Merkur/Dovo has both quality AND customer care issues.
All I wanted to say: I own 4 Merkur razors. All of them are of first rate quality and superb shavers. If I (and others) posted this fact repeatedly, would you
take it as proof of the superior quality of Merkur razors? I guess not.
All I'm saying the cases posted here should also be seen in the light of all the others where people like me are very satisfied with the Merkur quality.
Sometimes the message coming across here is that of a seedy backyard operation turning out junk razors by the thousands (but this could be just me).

I have a Futur I bought in 1995, and its worked fine in that time. Nor has it ever developed rust or had any particular mechanical fault. I recently bought a Progress, and its been doing just fine.

I would endorse Merkur based on my own personal experiences to date.

Chris

For me, personally, I have a 39c slant, and i'd replace it even if it did do that after a few years, i love it that much.
Also, I see your point of view that this shouldn't be happening.
Maybe if a second product from them broke i'd be a lot more sceptical, too.

Top Bottom