What's new

Merkur HD

I just started D/E shaving a few weeks ago; My first D/E razor was the Merkur Vision 2000, is great and am getting great shaves however I haven't mastered it under the nose and neck. I went to pick up the Merkur HD in a store here in NYC, when the razor was shown to me it didn't seem very heavy, this could be since I have been using the Vison and it very heavy. My question is are there any markings on the box to assure me that I am getting the Merkur HD?

There are photos of razors in tha ShaveWiki that should help you decide what razor you have. I think you can find some specs there as well. But the HD is not a heavy razor and is much lighter than the long-handled Merkurs, for instance. The Merkur Classic, which is very similar to the HD, is about the same length, but has a slimmer handle.

I just started D/E shaving a few weeks ago; My first D/E razor was the Merkur Vision 2000, is great and am getting great shaves however I haven't mastered it under the nose and neck. I went to pick up the Merkur HD in a store here in NYC, when the razor was shown to me it didn't seem very heavy, this could be since I have been using the Vison and it very heavy. My question is are there any markings on the box to assure me that I am getting the Merkur HD?

HD is sometimes called model 34 eg 34C is the chrome version and 34G the gold plated version.

The HD has a fatter handle than the classic model 33C. There is also a long handle version of the HD (model 38C), which is slightly heavier. The handle of which is about the same length as the handle of the Vision.

Just to confuse matters, there is also the 1904 classic (model 42), which has the HD head but a thinner (square/hex section) short handle.

If you want a heavy Merkur HD, then you you should buy the Merkur 38C; same head design, but added weight and length.

Marty

Top Bottom