What's new

Meet Us At The Diner

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I am an IT guy.

Windows 10 is great. Edge is a ***.
I only allow people to use IE or Chrome. Most choose Chrome.
Firefox used to be a hog, but it seems better now, so I may re-evaluate it.

I use Chrome mostly. My business websights like IE a little better.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I built 2 of my own PC's from scratch and running 7 on them for awhile. I have one PC in my music room and use wi-fi to connect to the net. 10 hated my wi-fi network adaptor and would not finish installing. It would just "stick" at the "welcome to Windows10" screen. After reading about the same problem other people were having I tried what they did and it worked. Just unplug the adaptor before rebooting. :mad3:
After all these years and MS still can't make an operating system ready for prime time

After all these years and MS still can't make an operating system ready for prime time

Gotta disagree.

Considering the number of wildly varying combinations of hardware that Windows works on it's an amazing product. Remember Apple only has to design for a few different architectures at a time. Linux does a good job of running on disparate systems, but requires a high-priest of Linux Geekdom to solve problems if it decides it doesn't want to work. I honestly have more problems with my SUSE Linux servers (and need to reboot them more often) than I do with my Windows servers.

I've very rarely in 25 years of Windows administration had a system that wouldn't run Windows. It's been more common recently where I'm trying to make a specialized Windows XP build on newer architecture -- for say, a legacy machine control system or something. )Windows XP doesn't support SATA and other "new" standards natively, so you have to do funky things to make it work.)

I did have one semi-modern PC that wouldn't upgrade to Win10 -- it was an 7 year old laptop and Win10 didn't have the proper drivers. But Win10 automatically backed out gracefully and reverted back to Windows 7 just fine.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Gotta disagree.

Considering the number of wildly varying combinations of hardware that Windows works on it's an amazing product. Remember Apple only has to design for a few different architectures at a time. Linux does a good job of running on disparate systems, but requires a high-priest of Linux Geekdom to solve problems if it decides it doesn't want to work. I honestly have more problems with my SUSE Linux servers (and need to reboot them more often) than I do with my Windows servers.

I've very rarely in 25 years of Windows administration had a system that wouldn't run Windows. It's been more common recently where I'm trying to make a specialized Windows XP build on newer architecture -- for say, a legacy machine control system or something. )Windows XP doesn't support SATA and other "new" standards natively, so you have to do funky things to make it work.)

I did have one semi-modern PC that wouldn't upgrade to Win10 -- it was an 7 year old laptop and Win10 didn't have the proper drivers. But Win10 automatically backed out gracefully and reverted back to Windows 7 just fine.

You need to move down to Austin.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Well, my refrigerator fun continues. I noticed that the thing was not cooling properly. The air coming out of the controller was cold, but the food wasn't getting it. I found that the switch for the door light had gotten knocked back, so the two 40 W appliance bulbs were not going out when the door closed. I still need to by a new fan for the side by side so I can put it back in the house.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I'm thinking of taking the wife out to the Boulcott Street Bistro for her birthday.
It's in a old Historic house in Wellington and the part own Chef is Rex Morgan is well known and respected.
Just need to talk the wife into it or just make a executive decision.........

$Boulcott Street Bistro.jpg

So what would you select from he menu, Entrées, Main and desert. http://www.boulcottstreetbistro.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/BSB_Menu-May-NEW.pdf

The Lamb shank sounds nice.

$menu1.png

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
This will be fun.

Start off with the Crumbed Calamari, followed by the Main of Veal Schnitzel (because you've never had it) followed by the Eclair.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
This will be fun.

Start off with the Crumbed Calamari, followed by the Main of Veal Schnitzel (because you've never had it) followed by the Eclair.

How rude of me I forgot the wine list. http://www.boulcottstreetbistro.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Wine-List-April-copy.pdf
Can't have a dry conversation now can we.

The Crumbed Calamari is a fine choice Aaron and one I would enjoy. Given it's the start of winter the French Onion Soup may be a nice light starter.
The Veal Schnitzel is on my radar. Pork Cheeks sound nice.
Desert may be a selection of artesian cheese with a glass of port.

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
How rude of me I forgot the wine list. http://www.boulcottstreetbistro.co.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Wine-List-April-copy.pdf
Can't have a dry conversation now can we.

The Crumbed Calamari is a fine choice Aaron and one I would enjoy. Given it's the start of winter the French Onion Soup may be a nice light starter.
The Veal Schnitzel is on my radar. Pork Cheeks sound nice.
Desert may be a selection of artesian cheese with a glass of port.

So Igor, have you made reservations yet?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
So Igor, have you made reservations yet?

I spoke with the wife who sounded keen but you can only book dinner before 5:30pm. After that no reservations as it is casual dinning.
She also sounded keen to go there for lunch instead of dinner so will let her think about it for the week.
5:30pm is too early. Lunch may be a good option or just sit at the bar and wait for a table.........what's the rush.

Some of the most popular places in Wellington don't take reservations. Is that common where you are?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I spoke with the wife who sounded keen but you can only book dinner before 5:30pm. After that no reservations as it is casual dinning.
She also sounded keen to go there for lunch instead of dinner so will let her think about it for the week.
5:30pm is too early. Lunch may be a good option or just sit at the bar and wait for a table.........what's the rush.

Some of the most popular places in Wellington don't take reservations. Is that common where you are?

More of the mid to higher end restaurants let you set a reservation via their websites. I think the restaurants around don't care to reserve a table until you actually show up and say, "we have a reservation".

39 Years ago today, Star Wars opened...

Where were you?
I was (I think) in 7th grade and initially thought it was supposed to be a scary movie because of the scene in the preview of the Tusken Raiders (Sand People). I quickly realized my mistake.

proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom