What's new

Meerschaum repair

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I was gifted a Meerschaum that had a tenon and mortise that was stripped. Previous efforts to remove the mortise had resulted in cracks in the Meerschaum shank. Removal of the mortise resulted in these cracked pieces coming loose, and I essentially had a Meerschaum pipe with a shank broken into 3 pieces.
I figured nothing ventured, nothing gained so I attempted a repair.
I obtained some delrin push type mortise and tenons and managed to remove all of the pieces of the previously placed mortise and tenon.
To glue the pieces of the pipe back together, I made a mixture of very high grade Japanese chalk ground to a powder and mixed with a thick gel type of superglue that I have.
The shank, after drying was very solid and sturdy, enough so that I was able to easily chase the threads with a tap, and to countersink the end of the shank to accommodate the "lip" of the new mortise.
I likewise countersunk the acrylic stem so that the tenon would screw in flush.
I suppose time will tell if the repair is sufficient for any duration, but I think it turned out quite well considering the only other option was to toss the pipe into the refuse bin.

20221016_060713.jpg

20221016_060655.jpg

20221016_060815.jpg

Looks great. The only pipe that has ever cracked on me was a meerschaum- and I used to abuse briars in the early days to no end. The meer must have had a flaw in it. There was no warning that anything was happening beforehand. I was just smoking it one day, heard a pop and the whole bowl fell off of the shank- right about where yours is coloring. I should have tried to save it, but into the trash it went.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Repairs on the stems of these typically involve a metal band for strength, but with the decorative carving, that wasn't an option.
Fortunately it was right at the end of the shank which stays pretty cool.
I don't know if a repair close to the bowl could withstand the heat as yours would have been subjected to.

Repairs on the stems of these typically involve a metal band for strength, but with the decorative carving, that wasn't an option.
Fortunately it was right at the end of the shank which stays pretty cool.
I don't know if a repair close to the bowl could withstand the heat as yours would have been subjected to.
All was not lost. I needed a stem for a pipe that I got in a lot that didn't have one. I'll grab that meer out of the cabinet and smoke it for todays POTD thread. Thanks for the reminder. ;)

Top Bottom