What's new

G'day from the Land of Oz

Great forum and resource. I have been online for 20 years, and been part of various forums and groups, and this is a particularly well run and informative one. Particularly appreciate the civility, something in increasingly short supply in this world. Thanks for that. :001_smile

I am a late 50s Australian male, who can grow a decent beard, and who got back into frequent shaving a year back coz pandemic requiring smooth skin for a good mask seal. Mostly do a full face shave every second day. But now, after getting reasonable at it and good consistent results, I am also doing it because it feels good and I am at an age where I don't mind looking ten years younger, especially now my previously black/dark brown beard is almost completely white. :001_smile

Previously either used disposable razors, usually couple of times a week as jobs/lifestyle didn't require it every day, or clippers on the face for a permanent four day growth (my brother calls it the Hemingway look). Had the latter for the past couple of decades, with the very occasional clean shave for various reasons (weddings, passport pics, etc).

I looked around the various shaving forums/discussions/blogs and did a bunch of reading for a while early last year before buying a razor and blades.

Chose a RazoRock Game Changer, with both plates (.68p & .84p, but mostly used the .84 so far), and a full knurl handle (love the ultra reliable grip of good knurling, which helps if you are using a light touch with a heavy razor).

My first serious razor, and very happy with it. Solid, robust, very well made, should easily last my remaining lifetime. Excellent value for money. A razor for life (RFL). Looks good too, and is as good as anything I have tried before for shaving under the nose. Given all that, and the price (just over AUD $100), I am seriously considering getting another for a spare.

Only two 'issues' with it. It is a bit handle heavy and maybe not the best balanced, which takes some getting used to, particularly given I only used lightweight plastic disposables before. That said, I do like being able to let that mass and gravity do most of the work, with me just mostly having to guide it.

I also have large palms which just swallow up those itty-bitty razor handles, even substantial ones like the 90mm long Super Knurl, so a longer handle is something I will try.

So far only tried Feathers and Astra Superior Platinum blades. Deliberately chose those two because they are reputable and to compare & contrast a sharp and a medium blade. I stuck with them for the first year to avoid being sucked into the try-every-blade-you-can-buy vortex, and make sure I got the basics of technique down before adventuring further afield.

Feathers take some getting used to and delicate handling (especially with the .84 plate), and are definitely not for newbies. Astra SP are a solid workhorse, and the one I have used the most.

Only had one bad blade so far, an Astra, and it was a shocker, real outlier.

Just tried my first blade that isn't one of those two, a Gillette Platinum (light coloured tuck), and it is very good. Only one shave with it so far, so looking forward to seeing how it performs for repeat shaves, particularly if it smooths out a bit.

I don't try to get the most possible shaves from a blade. If I get 3 good ones I am happy. Blades are not exactly a high cost even for my very modest budget, especially compared to disposables or cartridge razors. Only using around 60 blades a year, which is less than 50¢ a week. It's nothing. I agree completely with those who say that life is too short, and good shaves too satisfying, to be trying to save literally a few dollars a year on blades.

Made a blade bank from a large tin of tomato soup (Heinz Big Red 820g, for my fellow Aussies; dimensions are approx. 100mm diameter x 115mm high, or 4 x 4.5"). Given my age and the rate I go through blades, that size bank could well last my remaining lifetime. After emptying and cleaning and drying it, I gave it a good spray of lanolin inside to help stop rust. Also let the used blades dry out before putting them in.

Very happy with overall results. Had the usual trials by bloodletting early on, but mostly in the past now after a year's worth of practice. Still working on the urge to over polish for that elusive perfect BBS, at the price of excessive razor burn, mostly around the chin and mouth. Loosening the handle just a shade for the final polishing seems to help.

Agree with the view that the most important piece of advice to give a novice wet shaver is that good shaving is mostly in your technique. Work on that. Take your time, use short strokes and a light touch, and get to know your hair pattern and skin response.

I shave in the shower, and just use standard soap. Plus some standard alcohol based gel hand sanitiser on the face afterwards, which lets me know real fast how much I over polished, but also makes sure any cuts or burn are sterilised and heal quickly. Alcohol (ethanol) also debrides nerve endings so even though it stings a bit at first it actually greatly reduces the sensitivity of the nerves. Both are also very cheap.

Remaining items on my shaving agenda are trying some different blades, longer handles, and the Yaqi Tile head, all of which I have ordered in the last couple of weeks. (Got the Yaqi on sale for $27, inc. delivery. :001_smile) Maybe also the OC .84 base plate for the Game Changer later down the track.

But mostly the plan is to just keep practicing and improving my technique, and deciding which blades to stock up on, and keep an eye out for sales of them.

Enough blathering from me.

Cheers for now. :)

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Welcome. Enjoyed reading your post. Try Kai blades too someday. Tbh the hand sanitizer as aftershave is a new one for me. You might be on the “cutting edge” of a trend there. 🤩

G’day mate. If you decide to give the shower soap a miss and get into a brush and shaving soap, there are some great Aussie soaps around. Mr Google will help but Stuga, Whispers from the Woods and Salt Lake Soaps are great.

Top Bottom