What's new

meat smokers

I've decided to try some more advanced smoking and was also inspired by Bruce's brisket smoking thread.
I have a webber kettle and normally wrap wood chips in tinfoil and drop them on the coals.

So I wondering if a unit like this would give me the long, low temp smoke suitable for the larger cuts like beef and pork roasts, briskets, etc

http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-Sportsman-Elite-Two-Door-Propane-Smoker/product/10226688/

Does anyone have any experience with these type of units? I understand from reading that they require a few modifications to get them working well. I don't have a large budget and was hoping to stay under the $200 mark.

I prefer a propane for long consistent smoking, I think I can control temperature easier that way.

Any thoughts or advice?

Google the el cheapo smoker modifications. This was the cheapest for my first, and it worked well. Just my two cents.

Years ago I tried smoking. Tried turkey- tasted like Ham. Tried fish- tasted like Ham. Tried pork- tasted like Ham( glad for that one). Tried chicken- Ham. Tried beef-Ham.
Gave up!

I have a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker. I use it for ribs, fish, beef, and pork. The aroma and taste is outstanding - and it does not taste like ham. Last week I made some ribs and they tasted great.

$ribs.jpg

I have had a smoker very similar to that one for about 8 years. Still works great. This brisket came off of it yesterday-200 degrees for about 8 hours. 50/50 oak and hickory. Finest kind........

$100-0002_IMG.jpg

$20140428_184429.jpg

Wow some great pics and tips here, That Webber gadget sure looks interesting Don, thanks. I'll see if I can dig up some more info and reviews on that. Kinda gives me a couple of ideas actually

Acmemfg, How often in an 8 hour period do you have to refill the wood chips?

Food smoker pics make me hungry, I'd like to tear into those ribs too.

I use chunks in a No. 10 size can which sits right on the fire. Two loads of 5 or 6 chunks each does the job. Each load burns up I 1 1/2 or 2 hours.

Years ago I tried smoking. Tried turkey- tasted like Ham. Tried fish- tasted like Ham. Tried pork- tasted like Ham( glad for that one). Tried chicken- Ham. Tried beef-Ham.
Gave up!

Did you try pulling the ham out of the bottom of the smoker?

I use a CharGriller Duo with the side fire box. Depending on how long I have committed myself to tending to that, I usually just use an offset indirect heat method. Gadgets and gizmos aside, there is something to be said for keeping it simple. Chips wrapped in foil or chunks in a fire box, in a way smoke is smoke. If you know what you are doing with the tools you have, you will be fine. I guess that could be said for shaving or BBQ really. I've never had a chance to work with anything like that either, so I'm probably not much help.

Last edited:
Apparently that Smokenator works quite well. Someone had mentioned it in the Acquisition thread.

I had looked at them before getting my Ceramic Cooker from Costco, but couldn't find a cost effective way to acquire one.

Propane smokers look and sound practical and should hold steady temps. I don't care for propane tanks and even switched our gas grill to NG as I can't stand running out mid cook or having the backup be empty as well. I also have no idea how much actual "Smoker" they produce or if you add wood to it somewhere to get the flavour. I also wanted to go old school and use Lump Charcoal and Wood chunks, so went with that type.

That said, anything that can get you smoking is a good start. Costco used to carry some Brinkman Smokers for under $100 that had a ton of Mods for.

Depending on where you are in Ontatio, check Kijiji. I just saw a Masterbuild Propane listed for $190, used 2-3 times and you could probably work him down to $150 all in. Also a barrel type, Holland Smoker for $100 that you could probably get for $75.

Good luck and keep us posted on whatever you get. Smoking meat is a lot of fun, tastes great and the only thing that should taste like Ham that comes off it is Ham :thumbup1:

If my thread inspired only one person to smoke something or try, it was worth asking all my questions :w00t:

Last edited:
I missed the op wanted propane. A good charcoal smoker is just as easy to run as a propane one imo. The Weber is about as close to set and forget as they come.

I missed the op wanted propane. A good charcoal smoker is just as easy to run as a propane one imo. The Weber is about as close to set and forget as they come.

If I hadn't gotten my Vision Ceramic, the WSM was my top choice based on a ton of research.

I actually still want one, but there is no way my wife would allow a third grill on our little desk, to go along with a Weber Kettle down below. Not to mention the free Weber Smokey Joe I picked up today when someone had it out on the curb for free!

I really appreciate all this advice guys,
I do prefer the taste of charcoal from cooking on the Webber kettle, I just sort of assumed that a charcoal smoker may need constant attention, but perhaps the WSM doesn't need too much, besides no matter what unit, who can resist pulling out a knife a carving off a little taste now and then anyway
An 18" WSM around here seems to price out at $339 Can$'s

Ya Bruce, your thread was educational, interesting and inspiring, There is an amazing amount of help in this entire site when you ask the right questions. There is just no shortage of generosity of information.

I'll keep updating as I progress.

Rob

Plenty of great suggestions and choices here, Rick's comment about close to set and forget has me leaning towards the charcoal as I already load up when it comes on sale.

I can stretch the budget, I may have to watch the sales. I wonder about the 18.5 v/s the 14.5, Bass Pro has the 18.5 on at $299, I just wonder if the odd time I'd like to smoke a turkey, but the majority would suit the 14.5 size

The other question is modifications to the WSM. Does it require any?

Anytime I bought a "smaller" grill or smoker I always wished I had gotten the larger one...always.

Go big or go home. You won't regret it the first time you want to do a whole shoulder or packer cut brisket.

Plenty of great suggestions and choices here, Rick's comment about close to set and forget has me leaning towards the charcoal as I already load up when it comes on sale.

I can stretch the budget, I may have to watch the sales. I wonder about the 18.5 v/s the 14.5, Bass Pro has the 18.5 on at $299, I just wonder if the odd time I'd like to smoke a turkey, but the majority would suit the 14.5 size

The other question is modifications to the WSM. Does it require any?

I am sure you could find some WSM mods, but am pretty sure they are good to go, right out of the box...but will let one of the WSM guys chime on that one. There may be some small mods or tweaks, but nothing major should be needed. Before you buy a Bass Pro, be sure to compare the warranties with Weber's as that may be a key factor in a Bass Pro for $299 or a Weber WSM for $350.

The good charcoal smokers, really are "set it and forget it" and you can't be that smokey flavour. I have never left the vacinity of my house when smoking and always stick around the house, yard etc but don't sit and baby it. My longest smoke was my Brisket and very few adjustments were needed on my cold, windy, snowy, Winnipeg afternoon.

Anytime I bought a "smaller" grill or smoker I always wished I had gotten the larger one...always.

Go big or go home. You won't regret it the first time you want to do a whole shoulder or packer cut brisket.

The smallest I'd want my dome or smoker would be 18.5, but the 22.5 is the first choice of most. This is based on smokey a turkey on my dome once and having to cook for my family (wife and 2 kids).

Before you do anything, I would highly recommend trying the "snake method" with your Weber kettle. It is a modified minion method that the kettle excels at.

Google it for the details, but essentially you make a partial ring of charcoal around the bottom of the kettle and start it with a small amount of lit coals. Depending on how much smoke you want, intermingle wood chunks or chips with the charcoal. The ring will burn in a domino effect with each new lit coal section slowly igniting the next all the way around the ring.

I have done butts on my kettle for 9+ hours and only made it a little over halfway around the ring. A smaller kettle would be less burn time, but you can just add fresh coals to the unburned end of the ring at that point.

Honestly, unless you have your heart set on a dedicated smoker, this is a great option and works exceptionally well. That said, I have a kettle, a gasser and a kamado in my backyard :biggrin1:

That smokenator gadget apparently works ok, but is completely unnecessary in my opinion.

Random Google image to give you a better idea of the concept:

$1003449_10151475967731331_581324577_n.jpg

I had a similar model propane smoker. The control on the bottom controls the flame, so it is possible to regulate temperature, but you also have to get to know the smoker to find your sweet spots. And even when I did, I still would check the temperature every 10 minutes for the first hour to make sure that it didn't go over a certain temp or under a certain temp. They can be a touch finicky.

That said, my next smoker, when the funds roll in, is going to be this bad boy. The max temp doesn't go above 250 degrees F, so I know I'll never have it set too hot. The model you posted, on the over hand, can go upwards of about 400 and probably even a bit higher. Great if you want to roast after a short smoke, but if you're looking for a low and slow smoke it won't help you out much.

Top Bottom