What's new

MdC, GD and WK thoughts

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I recently finished a jar of MdC. It lasted a little over a year and I experienced 4 weepers over that time span.

I purchased GD Amber and Oud and WK Bare Naked. How to compare the three?

All provided daily BBS shaves, so that's not much of a consideration. The GD BBS did seem to last a little longer than the others, but the shave also provided a touch more irritation than the others. That probably makes sense, but it's not a price I'm willing to pay for another hour or two of BBS.

The scent of the Amber and Oud is something else all together - and something mainly unpleasant - although not bad enough to make me stop using it. It did scare me into getting the unscented WK, which I'm very pleased with.

The shaves are very, very similar. It's difficult to rank them in terms of quality of shave. Face feel is good with all, but some will experience slight differences. I use a balm daily, so the differences are very small to me.

MdC: Very easy/quick to load and quick to lather. It provides me the most comfortable shave - but only by a little. I call that cushion, but it's just a word and may not be the best one to describe a soap that provides the fewest weepers and most comfort. Feel free to insert your own word. I ordered two last time and paid $48 each, including shipping.

WK - Easy to load and easy to build lather. Doesn't require much water at all. I like to start with the correct amount of water in the brush (as close as I can guess) and it took me many shaves to get the brush dry enough for this soap. I initially experienced a few weepers, but adjusted my technique to be just a bit more careful and none since. I use my "Feather blade" technique - just a little more nervous about blood. A really nice soap I will probably replace. It doesn't appear to be good in the longevity department, but that's just a guess at this point. Anyone finish a tub?

GD - Longer load, considerably longer build time and requires quite a bit more water (not that it's difficult to add water). Scent boarders on disgusting, but there are a great deal of other choices. It clogs my drain, so I have to use more water during the shave to keep it open. I don't know if I will be purchasing another GD, but it's certainly a good product.

At this point I'm guessing that the MdC is the cheapest of the three. That amuses me some, but the others are half the price and I'm quite sure I could never get 6 months from either tub. It may turn out that they are almost twice the price of the MdC.

But you can't go wrong with any of these. I also had a shave with Haslinger's (my travel soap) and it compares very well.

Thanks for the review. It's hard to separate the top soaps these days. I'm surprised you didn't add Haslinger into review but it's a great soap that I rank up there in my top 3 with Valobra and SV. MdC I put in the top 10 but since there are so many great clones it's hard for me to justify grabbing another jar, especially since I get nailed for duty so the cost for me was over $90. I have WK and GD on my list of things to try so I'm always eager to see reviews on those.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Interesting comparison. I have 2 out of the 3 (WK DM & MdC) and I agree with @dabrock. I find at this level the differences are pretty minor. Each have their own 'personality' if you will. That is, each has their own strengths and weaknesses (for lack of better terminology) but are all excellent performers in their own way.

Recently I've stopped trying to figure out which awesome soap is 'best' but instead, simply reject the ones I don't find an accord with. Even those that don't make my list are often #1 for others.

I recently finished a jar of MdC. It lasted a little over a year and I experienced 4 weepers over that time span.

All provided daily BBS shaves, so that's not much of a consideration. The GD BBS did seem to last a little longer than the others, but the shave also provided a touch more irritation than the others. That probably makes sense, but it's not a price I'm willing to pay for another hour or two of BBS.

The scent of the Amber and Oud is something else all together - and something mainly unpleasant - although not bad enough to make me stop using it. It did scare me into getting the unscented WK, which I'm very pleased with.

The shaves are very, very similar. It's difficult to rank them in terms of quality of shave. Face feel is good with all, but some will experience slight differences. I use a balm daily, so the differences are very small to me.

MdC: Very easy/quick to load and quick to lather. It provides me the most comfortable shave - but only by a little. I call that cushion, but it's just a word and may not be the best one to describe a soap that provides the fewest weepers and most comfort. Feel free to insert your own word. I ordered two last time and paid $48 each, including shipping.

WK - Easy to load and easy to build lather. Doesn't require much water at all. I like to start with the correct amount of water in the brush (as close as I can guess) and it took me many shaves to get the brush dry enough for this soap. I initially experienced a few weepers, but adjusted my technique to be just a bit more careful and none since. I use my "Feather blade" technique - just a little more nervous about blood. A really nice soap I will probably replace. It doesn't appear to be good in the longevity department, but that's just a guess at this point. Anyone finish a tub?

GD - Longer load, considerably longer build time and requires quite a bit more water (not that it's difficult to add water). Scent boarders on disgusting, but there are a great deal of other choices. It clogs my drain, so I have to use more water during the shave to keep it open. I don't know if I will be purchasing another GD, but it's certainly a good product.

At this point I'm guessing that the MdC is the cheapest of the three. That amuses me some, but the others are half the price and I'm quite sure I could never get 6 months from either tub. It may turn out that they are almost twice the price of the MdC.

But you can't go wrong with any of these. I also had a shave with Haslinger's (my travel soap) and it compares very well.

You mention "Scent boarders on Disgusting"
I don't know why some of these newer artisan vendors make such bad scents. I am not singling out GD as I have the same issue with Tallow and Steel, Wholly Kaw, and Declaration Grooming. The descriptions are difficult to understand and it's hit or miss. They also keep changing the offerings making it more hit or miss. I just don't get it?

Thanks for the review. It's hard to separate the top soaps these days. I'm surprised you didn't add Haslinger into review but it's a great soap that I rank up there in my top 3 with Valobra and SV. MdC I put in the top 10 but since there are so many great clones it's hard for me to justify grabbing another jar, especially since I get nailed for duty so the cost for me was over $90. I have WK and GD on my list of things to try so I'm always eager to see reviews on those.

+1 on haslinger and SV. My favorite soaps...

Too many to try. Need to give valobra, mdc a try.

Not keen on GD as the scents seem all over the place from various reviews. Need to also try WK. man, too many......

I’m reserving judgment on Mdc. Tried a sample, and it was ok, but not great. Here’s the thing. The sample was soft, and my understanding is that in its natural state, Mdc is a very hard soap. So like I said, judgement reserved until I can try it in its natural state.
GD is my current favorite. I do like the one WK I have, the Donkey Chypre Rose Concerto.

I rarely use my jar of MdC rose. I like a drier, pasty lather and MdC needs a lot of water to slicken up. It's just easier to use my regular soaps than to change my technique for MdC. Even in its slickened state, the shave with MdC is no better than my favorites.

Have not tried MDC yet, but GD and Wk are 2 of my favorite soap bases. Almost in a class of their own performance wise, while there are some other artisans that come close (like Turtleship) scents are awesome and unique.

Soaps are very much a YMMV situation, but of the close to 300 different soaps I have tried, these really stand out in the crowd.

I’ve used all three. I found that MdC didn’t work all that welll for my skin. The other two bases, WK donkey milk and GD are truly excellent for me. With WK working the best for my skin type. Yes...finding a scent that works for you can be a challenge. Why they make such IMO such extreme and polarizing, complex, heavy cologne type scents is a mystery to me. That said...WK just released a simple but elegant two scent called a Lav Sublime...a fantastic, subtle lime and lavender. And will release two single scent offerings in donkey milk in a couple of weeks...a grapefruit and a coconut..GD has some interesting, simpler scents due to be released soon as well.

I really liked MdC but found that Haslinger’s worked just a bit better for me, epecially for post-shave feel. YMMV but you are clearly comparing top-notch soaps!

So...I am still early in my WK journey, but this soap already has a big bald spot in the middle of the tub. I may have shaved with it 10 times...definitely no more than that. So my experience suggests this disappears faster than virtually any of my other soaps. Faster than Eufros, faster than GD Vegan and much faster than Mike's or SPV or even Mystic Water or CRSW....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

shavefan

I’m not a fan
So...I am still early in my WK journey, but this soap already has a big bald spot in the middle of the tub. I may have shaved with it 10 times...definitely no more than that. So my experience suggests this disappears faster than virtually any of my other soaps. Faster than Eufros, faster than GD Vegan and much faster than Mike's or SPV or even Mystic Water or CRSW....

Wow, that's pretty fast. I have probably twice that many shaves from my tub and its about 50% (est) gone. It definitely is a softer style 'croap' but still, that seems pretty quick.

Wow, that's pretty fast. I have probably twice that many shaves from my tub and its about 50% (est) gone. It definitely is a softer style 'croap' but still, that seems pretty quick.
Definitely very fast...the GD vegan is using much slower although I lather the daylights out of that one just the same....

So...I am still early in my WK journey, but this soap already has a big bald spot in the middle of the tub. I may have shaved with it 10 times...definitely no more than that. So my experience suggests this disappears faster than virtually any of my other soaps.....

Odd...I’ve used my WK Man From Mayfair at least 20+ times and no sign of this...In fact I said to myself this am how long it was lasting. Seems to still be about half full. And I’m a heavy soap loader....or so I thought..I guess it’s one of those YMMV...I do let mine dry out for 8 hours or so before I recap it...

Here is what 10ish shaves did...
proxy.php

That's crazy after 10 shaves. I have well over 30 shaves on 10 different tubs of WK and none of them look like that. I'm a heavy loader who makes enough lather for 4 passes and then some. I know most guys here consider WK a soft croap type soap, but my tubs all seem about middle of the road when it comes to hardness, Declaration (L&L) now that is some seriously soft soap bordering on cream.

Top Bottom