What's new

Martin de Candre

I concur. Traded mine for a kilo of Cella. It was an ok soap, but my mileage definitely varied.

I firmly believe that you were the winner in that trade :thumbup: It is impossible to go wrong with a brick of Cella. I think it's the best value out there.

So kris_kringle was very generous and sent me a jar of MdC for Christmas. I have twice tried using this soap, and for some reason it seems as if I can't get it as slick as other soapsi have tried. is there something I am missing, or is MdC just not as slick as others? I've tried Williams and mwf, and have some haslinger that I haven't tried yet.

It is not about what is the scent....perso I think that it is ok but just an ok soap...trendy but that s it!
my cheap cheap Palmolive stick is much better ....and Hasslinger s are realy head and shoulder above...

Tam

I firmly believe that you were the winner in that trade :thumbup: It is impossible to go wrong with a brick of Cella. I think it's the best value out there.
Not true. I'm one of the unlucky ones whose face burns from use of cella. Great stuff except for that. Glad I only bought a sample

Not true. I'm one of the unlucky ones whose face burns from use of cella. Great stuff except for that. Glad I only bought a sample

Interesting. The newer batches of MdC Scented and Fougere with the smooth label both lit me up like a Christmas tree. The older batches of Scented with the corrugated labels worked fine for me though. MdC is not a bad soap, I just think it gets put on a pedestal too much. It's a solid performer with a great scent, there's no denying that. I just don't think it's as good as many say it is.

On another note, the brick version of Cella has a lot less fragrance than the little red tub, and in my opinion gives a better lather as well.

First off, no need to soak MdC, it's a softer soap.

Use more product, load lightly (not mashing) for a full minute and see what happens.

If you way way too much product, next time load for 45sec and go from there.

I didn't see it mentioned, but face lather it and see what happens. if you are face lathering already, try bowl lathering. But I recommend face lathering it. Start with circular strokes, then go to paint/slapping.

Self promotion of my thread: My top 10 General Lathering Tips

+1 Both your Chief and Rudy Vey synthetic should work wonderfully with the MdC (or any other soap for that matter). As Williams, Mitchell's Wool Fat and MdC all lather differently, if you have time, maybe play around with the MdC using Bruce's tips. It might take a few lather attempts to find the non-soupy sweet spot, but practice makes perfect. :wink:

I have a couple of jars of the Regular-Scented which have been patiently waiting for my Year Of DR Harris to finish. When my current puck of Marlborough bites the dust, I plan on using a Haslinger soap and then after that it will probably be a jar of MdC.

Mdc is just OK for me. I've tried scented and fougere. I get equally good shaves from other soaps and prefer the scent of many.

It took me a while to perfect my technique with this soap. Once accomplished the results were excellent.
The recommendations above are spot on. Wet the soap a bit, use a firmer brush and charge the knot for 45-60 seconds.
Work the soap in your scuttle or the palm of your hand. Make sure your beard is still warm and wet.
If all else fails send me the soap and I'll work with it.

+1. I thought it performed fine. There's a bunch I'd prefer to use, however.

I now have about 4.5 months of occasional use of the Fougere under my belt. No trouble lathering, but I kind of agree with you. I just always seem to reach for something else.

Interesting. The newer batches of MdC Scented and Fougere with the smooth label both lit me up like a Christmas tree. The older batches of Scented with the corrugated labels worked fine for me though. MdC is not a bad soap, I just think it gets put on a pedestal too much. It's a solid performer with a great scent, there's no denying that. I just don't think it's as good as many say it is.

On another note, the brick version of Cella has a lot less fragrance than the little red tub, and in my opinion gives a better lather as well.
completly agree with you on cella, also like mdc it's a good soap.

Top Bottom