What's new

March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month

I'm 54 and the last few years doc has been doing the finger in the poop chute, but this year she insisted on me doing the poop scoop test before my annual check up this past Tuesday. NEGATIVE!:thumbup:

When we got to talking, she said especially because I'm adopted, I should really get the colonoscopy done, even though everything's been fine so far. We need to get a baseline because I don't have a family history, she said. I thought about wifey having her first colonoscopy a few months back because there was a spot of blood in her digital exam and the two of us being on edge until she had the procedure. Thankfully, all was well:jump:

With that thought in my head, I told the doc "Let's do this! I rather 'git 'er done' knowing that everything is good." So the referral is in and just waiting for the date. Besides, I'll get to spend the whole day before in the bathroom with my shaving gear!!:lol:

got my appt in the mail yesterday... Bunghole inspection is 5/30... I'm so excited and I just can't hide it:scared:

Just had my first colonoscopy yesterday. I'm a youngster (29) but an alarming case of anemia and pain that's put me down for the count recently necessitated a look inside. The prep was not a pleasant experience, but the procedure yielded findings. It's not something I want to do again anytime soon but it's important and necessary sometimes, even for us young ones.

Mike my Grandmother passed from colon cancer and having had my gall bladder out let's say it masks other things ... 'nuf said. Because of that I had my first "up periscope!" in January. Is this the right place to post fumy stories about that too? I mean a guy has to laugh when he feels that violated.

No polyps, nothing out of the ordinary save diverticulosis which I understand is an "American disease." :thumbup1:

Mike my Grandmother passed from colon cancer and having had my gall bladder out let's say it masks other things ... 'nuf said. Because of that I had my first "up periscope!" in January. Is this the right place to post fumy stories about that too? I mean a guy has to laugh when he feels that violated.

No polyps, nothing out of the ordinary save diverticulosis which I understand is an "American disease." :thumbup1:

Congrats on the "clean bill of health"...and good on you for getting checked

I just had a general physical and haven't been to a Doc in years. I'm 56 so overdue for my first colonoscopy. The March Awareness Month got me off center. Scheduling "the experience" this month. I'm not looking forward to it but it must be done. Hope all goes well. I will post after. Hope I earn a Check 6 badge!

I Participated last year so I have a banner ! That is great, but I am also very open and honest as I feel compelled to speak also on this topic. I'm 37 years old and when I was many years younger was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease a IBD ( Inflammatory Bowel Disease ). I HAVE to be screened ever year as my chances of colon cancer are very high an usually every year they remove polyps and luckily none have ever come back malignant I just had my annual double whammy last week . I'm really luck when I am Screened I get a two for one deal both Endoscopy and Colonoscopy same day ( make sure they do the Endo first LOL :w00t: ). Seriously I may be an exception to the every year rule but for your family if not yourself get screened ! I lost my grandmother that raised me to colon cancer 10 years ago coming up in December and still wonder if she had ever gotten tested would she be a great grandmother today with 5 great grandchildren. She never had a colonoscopy and died at 63 years old. Please get tested and really if MDEVINE is reading he is a doctor so he is familiar with Versed ( Midazolam ) and other medications..... you will not remember a thing and the worst part is the prep which for me is nothing compared to Crohn's disease anyway. Good luck to everyone and GET TESTED !

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your story Aaron.

Yeah the prep is interesting. Pretty sure I felt a breeze going through my body towards the end. :)

Mine second one was done this morning. Good to go for another ten years.

The prep wasn't that bad and the staff and the drugs were great.

Don't put it off!

I'm a survivor only because my cancer was caught very early through a routine Colonoscopy. Anyone over 50 who puts this exam off is asking for trouble, foolish. The prep is easy and the exam is painless.

Great write up Mike. My last exam was four years ago and I got a clean bill of health. I did not think the prep was all that bad and since I was fast asleep during the procedure I did not feel a thing.

My cousin's husband was a nurse in the VA. Despite his medical training he never had a Colonoscopy done until he was 65. The result was he had to undergo extensive chemo.

I'm Scheduled !!! having Crohn's disease I have to go early and it has saved my life on more than one occasion ! It's easy fella's get yourselves checked out and enjoy the knock out juice ! it's the best fake sleep you'll ever have..... you won't even know it happened.....and it's true the day before is worse than the actual procedure...which to me is not that bad anyway.

I'm Scheduled !!! having Crohn's disease I have to go early and it has saved my life on more than one occasion ! It's easy fella's get yourselves checked out and enjoy the knock out juice ! it's the best fake sleep you'll ever have..... you won't even know it happened.....and it's true the day before is worse than the actual procedure...which to me is not that bad anyway.

Got mine last year, not due again till next year or so the guy with the sheepskin on his wall says.

There is a new 2015 thread here guys: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...-6-March-is-Colorectal-Cancer-Awareness-Month

Top Bottom