What's new

March 2021 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in and last shave of March.

Rating: 9.5 / 10
Razor: Fatip Lo Storto Originale Slant “FOCS”
Blade: Lord Silver Star Super Stainless Steel (5)
Brush: Grizzly Bay “Empress - EVO Deluxe” with 26mm High Mountain White (Bulb)
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper Lather Bowl (Heavyweight)
Lather (Soap): Captain’s Choice Land Ho! (Sample)
Post-shave:
• Omega Alum Stick
• Stirling Unscented Aftershave Splash
• Barrister and Mann Unscented Aftershave Balm

3 passes (WTG, XTG & ATG)
+ DFS (wasn’t chasing BBS, no buffing or touch ups)
+ No cuts, weepers, irritation, redness or bumps/ ingrowns
+ No feedback with the alum
- Lather was causing a very gooey buildup in my razor and added a bit of time rinsing it out under hot water several times

Used the amazing gifts my incredible wife gave me on the weekend, I’m enjoying them so much and very thankful for the gift.

First time trying Captain’s Choice soap and I am torn (sorry Cap). I added a TON of water (about 10-12 ml) gradually, most I’ve used with any soap before, can’t believe it didn’t turn into a soup. It was very shiny and very slick but I got a very gooey lather buildup around the blade. Usually, I just shake the blade in the sink and the lather / whiskers comes off, this shave I had to loosen the head and run it under hot water to get the gooey lather out, was a bit annoying and added a bit of time to the shave. Also, an odd thing about the soap was that there was these little particles in the soap like an exfoliating face wash has. As I haven’t used a mentholated soap before and none of my other soaps have this, I thought they might be menthol but felt no cooling effect during the shave and it didn’t have menthol on the label like Nor’easter does, so no idea what they were. It didn’t cause me any issues but I could imagine somebody with sensitive skin could get quite irritated when working the lather in with the brush.

Overall it was a great shave, just wasn’t as relaxing as my shaves usually are.

4F8E2B4B-179B-4F37-A259-2FD56178BB20.jpeg

There once was a young lass who shaved.
She liked boar brushes and misbehaved.
It was only her middle half,
But she wasn’t quite so daft,
She couldn’t say no to being spokeshaved.

Still in

Last shave of the month and last poem. I’ve officially published my poetry and had it reviewed on the B&B March GRUME thread. My wife says getting published is hard. That will show her.

A few observations. Hogzilla is well broke in and gloriously soft. He no longer is a gimmick brush, he’s lovely. Our weather has changed here and the humidity has risen so I’m going to have to start rotating brushes again to let them dry properly. I think I’m going to stick with boars for all of April. I veered off into badgers and synthetics for most of 2020 and I missed my boars.

Age is catching up with me. I’ve developed a consistent weeper in the last six months and no matter what I do I can’t seem to keep it from weeping other then to stop shaving.

Black Bot will never die. That soap is immortal. You will hear of it again in April.

Headshave and neck/beard trim

» Leaf w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” (2) - headshaves only
» Twig w/Gillette Platinum “Blue” 1/2 blade (2) - neck and beard trims only
» Hogzilla (Zenith 508A aka B35)
» PAA Black Bot CK-6
» Thayers Unscented Witch Hazel
» PAA Black Bot AS
» PAA Black Bot EDC so I smell extra pretty when I go to bed

I cleaned Hogzilla with PAA Shaving Brush Cleaning Soap. I’m not sure why PAA didn’t give it some sci-fi name like “Atomic Core Shave Brush Cleaning Soap” or “Invasion of the Sodium Borate Shave Brush Cleaner.”

I look forward to hearing from all of you in April (even those of you skipping the GRUME).

Last edited:
Still in. I haven't been that active this month in the forum, but I've enjoyed dropping into this thread to occasionally!

Thanks to all the contributors to this thread that make these a great monthly event to be part of.

Highlights of my shaving set ups for March have been:
- Wilkinson Super Sword edge blades, circa1963. These vintage made-in-england blades are very agreeable to my skin, not the sharpest, but for very smooth and close shaves for around 10 days worth.
- Saponificio Varesino, 70th Anniversary. Very enjoyable in every way.
- TOBS Grapefruit cream. Convincing scent, great lathering and just a great product.

Today's shave:
Rex Ambassador
Sharp Super Chrome (day 1)
Simpsons Chubby 1 Best
SV 70ths

I'll be skipping the future monthly GRUMEs and focus on the longhaul GRUYERE event.

Say it ain’t so! I hate when you finally get into the work of a published poet and then they retire when they have so much more to offer.

You can take solace in the fact I feel my best work was behind me. I didn’t want to stretch my career into the area of camp and ridicule. My biggest fear was descending into being a “has been.”

If you’re interested, I will be performing a live reading of my works in the periodical section of the Peoria Illinois Barnes and Noble this coming weekend. The time is rather fluid based on Barnes and Noble’s security posture and local law enforcement resources. PM me if you’re interested in attending. I’d advise wearing comfortable running shoes if you do plan on being there.

I’d love to extend a huge thank-you for your steadfast and heartfelt support of the arts.

Last edited:
Still in

Soap: Tailors of Old Bond Street Platinum Collection
Brush: Anbbas Synthetic
Razor: Muhle R89
Blade: Wilkinson Sword Classic (3)
Post Shave: Hot and cold water, Alum block and Geo F Trumper Ecuris Skin Food

Results 9/10, wtg, xtg & atg. bbs face, dfs neck

It's the final shave of the GRUME and It's been fun. I would like to take part in April's GRUME, but I need to update my travel shaving equipment if I'm going to continue to enjoy more locker room shaves. I'll just have to look forward to May's restraint.

The shave itself went well, my face is nice and smooth and no repeats of yesterday's mistake. Allough my lip is stiIl a bit red. I even finished while my morning cup of tea is still warm.

See y'all in May.

Last edited:
Still in

Today marks the last shave of March 2021 for me, and it I highlighted by another great shave.

I applied the Godrej shave round with brush as pre shave.
I pasted a thin layer of it and assembled the razor and shave cream.

I applied the Godrej cream lime generously and it provided a very satisfying lather.

I have realised that Godrej round works really well as pre shave with Godrej shave cream, it provides good slickness, and aftershave feel isn't drying.

Godrej cream is good, similar to Old Spice shaving creams but definitely not nearly as good as Vicco Turmeric w/ Sandalwood oil shaving cream.
It's post shave feel is terrific.

IMG_20210331_150305.jpg

last shave of the month

Prep : warm shower / Bulldog original face wash
Pre shave : Proraso white
Brush : Proraso boar by Omega
Cream : Proraso white in a tube
Razor : Merkur 34 C
Blade : Shark SS (3)

Result :

Last shave of the month, put on a 4th shave on the shark to have a fresh comparison with the Voshkod. 3 pass 2 nick no irritation, more feedback on the alum block. Felt harder to shave with it than the Voshkod.

I will respond to this:
I would like to take part in April's GRUME, but I need to update my travel shaving equipment if I'm going to continue to enjoy more locker room shaves. I'll just have to look forward to May's restraint.
...with this:
1.a. If you were in the March GRUME, 4/1 is your restock date for any needed product (i.e., it's not an excuse for treewhaling).
Your call. :)

Made it!

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: MWF, bowl-lathered
Brush: Men-U boar
Razor: Rockwell 6S R3, Astra SP #7
Post-shave: Hyaluronic acid, Nivea 2-Phase Lotion.

Tried a new angle on the neck problem area, with partial success. One of these days, I'm going to solve this properly.

I'll see some of you over in the April GRUME.

Top Bottom