What's new

Many Thanks to Chris Evatt (Razorplate) and Chris CAP Smith

This is a long overdue thanks to the fantastic razor restoration duo, Chris Evatt of Razorplate and his collaborator, Chris CAP Smith; these two are the Rogers and Hammerstein, Elton John and Bernie Taupin or Leopold & Loeb of razor restoration.

THE RAZOR

I recently acquired a 1936 Gillette Aristocrat razor in the original case. Both the razor and the case were in better than usual condition. I shaved with the Aristocrat many times; I felt that it had a certain heft and thickness that made it smooth and steady. Therefore I thought of having it replated to use and enjoy.

INITIAL INQUIRY TO RAZORPLATE

I contact Chris Evatt of Razorplate and told him I wanted to replate the razor. He explained that this kind of razor was best completely disassembled prior to plating and referred me to Chris CAP Smith. He explained in great detail the metallurgy of that time; that these razors were plated directly over the brass, which often hid defects in the base metal. He told me many things I did not know.

INITIAL INQUIRY TO CHRIS CAP SMITH

As luck would have it; bad luck that is, CAP was on a hiatus for several months due to relocation. Nevertheless he explained what he did with the razors and how he and Chris worked together on these jobs. I patiently waited until he re-opened.

BEFORE

IMG_9953.jpg

The picture above is how the razor and blade case looked before the repeating. CAP explained how these were made and said that mine was in very good condition despite its age. The razor was squeaky before and he set out to correct this. CAP sent the razor parts to Chris who did the plating.

Chris sent me a photo of one of the doors to show how the base metal had been etched and that it needed to be corrected, which ultimately it was.

James P. - Door 2.JPG

COMMUNICATION

Throughout this restoration process, Chris and CAP communicated to me each step in the process, with exhaustive detail. I was pleasantly surprised by all of this. They each kept me updated on the process and what was done. This includes updates as to shipping, when the parts arrived, etc.

END RESULT

The photos below show the condition after I received it back from CAP.

IMG_2017.jpg

IMG_2018.jpg

IMG_2019.jpg

IMG_2023.jpg

This was cheap for all the expertise, skill and knowledge that this duo exercised over the restoration project. I couldn't be more satisfied.

Great story, thanks for sharing!

I too have worked with these 2 fine gentlemen several times and it is such a superb experience. The process and communication is a fond memory every time I shave with one of the razors they have resurrected for me!

Beautiful work and superb razor! I have a 1938 Senator I am contemplating sending in. I'll look forward to working with those two.

Great looking razor and you picked the right guys for the job. I had a Fatboy done in 2 tone Rhodium that turned out spectacular and as you, the communication was over the top and to the point so there were no surprises anywhere along the way. Though pretty much all of the possibilities were already pointed out on Chris's website already. I'm really not that into vintage razors but if I ever needed any work done it would definitely go to them over anyone else because they simply are the best!!

This is a long overdue thanks to the fantastic razor restoration duo, Chris Evatt of Razorplate and his collaborator, Chris CAP Smith; these two are the Rogers and Hammerstein, Elton John and Bernie Taupin or Leopold & Loeb of razor restoration.
<snip>

Hope you meant Lerner and Lowe, not Leopold and Loeb.
Tom

That is a beauty. The tag team is very capable. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of one-off razors they did for me. It's great when everything goes as planned. Congrats.

I haven't had the pleasure of working with Cap yet. Only because I have just a few TTO razors (his specialty from what I hear), and the timing of his PCS (military jargon for Permanent Change of Station, aka "moving") delayed some projects of interest until his business was back up and running.

Chris of RazorPlate, on the other hand, has gotten my business on a few occasions. Each time I've sent him multiple razors in various states of condition and he has accomplished AMAZING results with each one. He is an artisan with a truly 'magic touch', and our traditional wet shaving community is fortunate to have him among us.

Top Bottom