What's new

Making a DE blade holder for your GEM razor

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I tried to make one but it didn't work. Can someone post a step by step with pictures please?

I followed the instructions but the epoxy got too high and the half blade didn't fit right. I'm running out of SS blades (carbons will rust obviously).

Stop press - here's a new method for the 1912.
Trim the sides (NOT the cutting edges) of the DE blade only so that it fits the width of the 1912 frame.
Then give the blade a slight concavity.
It will now fit the 1912 and the flexible blade curves up inside the cap.
Snap the cap shut and you're good to go.

It's been suggested that prolonged use of this method can cause the cap spring to lose tension.
Personally I find this hard to believe and think it may be a false rumour to deter SE innovation, but proceed at your own risk!
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Shaved with the modified DE blade in the 1912 last night and had an awesome shave.
Certainly this is no permanent substitute for using normal SE blades, which simply feel so right in these beautiful razors which were designed for them, but it is a turbocharged SE experience!

Just trimming the sides of the blade like this with the 1912 doesn't work for the 1914 because the tab at the back of the head cap catches the trailing edge of the blade, and it doesn't work for the Micromatics because the head closes at too narrow an angle to allow the blade to compress.

But it works perfectly in the 1924 and the blade doesn't even need to curve.
The 1924 is my all time favourite safety razor, so it'll be interesting to see how it performs with this blade in it.
proxy.php

proxy.php

Just shaved with the modified Minx DE blade in the ER 1924.
Wow! It was an intense super boosted shave which reminded me of shaving with the R41 but louder and smoother.

A shockingly efficient shave but also extremely comfortsble.

It's probably a bit much for everday use, where the standard SE blades would give a mellower and more relaxed shave.
This is one for special occasions :)

proxy.php

Hopefully it will not stop making the leaves of a single edge. They have a very special and unique way of making shaving. Unlike the double sheet. I would only use a double sheet of maquijilla edge when there was only a single edge blades.

I tried it today, flap-trimmed Astra in an Ever Ready 1912.
The blade sits well in place, and plenty of room in the back, very little tension from the blade, i don't see it impacting the spring (Damaskeene is smaller, maybe a different story).
The shave was truly excellent.

Ive been useing feathers and supermax blue diamond blades in my damaskeene, they work really well:thumbup:

PS the mod also works in a british ever ready lightweight,1914 and the 1924 and i dont se why it would not
work on the micromatic models, but it would require trimming of the back blade edge.

Just my 2p

Last edited:
Now let me get this straight.................you don't have to make a fancy adapter.............for a 1912.........just trim the DE blade?

I'd really like to know........
:blushing:

Well I tried the 'cut off tabs' on an Astra SP. I gave me a good shave but I wasnt convinced that it was close, so I popped theGEM back in and a BBS was had. No audiable feed back on the Astra blades. For me if I'm desperate for blades then I go this route but other wise it kinda defeats the idea of why I'm currently on a SE tour. All for one and one for all.

Well I tried the 'cut off tabs' on an Astra SP. I gave me a good shave but I wasnt convinced that it was close, so I popped theGEM back in and a BBS was had. No audiable feed back on the Astra blades. For me if I'm desperate for blades then I go this route but other wise it kinda defeats the idea of why I'm currently on a SE tour. All for one and one for all.

Which razor did you use? In a 1912 there is plenty of audible feedback.

I came back to this thread to report a problem, and found a solution to it. The problem was that, at least with my 1912 Ever-Ready, the half DE blade rests only on the inner edges of the hooks, and with prolonged use the rounded corners of the blade deepen the notch in the inner edge of each hook. With the ends of the half blade broken off to fit the razor, there is enough side play so the blade will slide off one hook or the other and expose the corner of the blade much too aggressively.

The solution, as above, is to trim the sides of the blade, before breaking it in half. Then the half blade just fits between the tabs at the sides of the top of the razor, eliminating the side play.

In case you wonder why I'm doing this, I had a mild heart attack a few months ago and my cardiologist put me on Plavix, which prolongs bleeding, so I wanted to lower the risk of accidental cuts. Ordinarily I use a three piece Gillette DE razor, but a single-edge razor seems safer because the hooks cover the corners of the blade. Since I have over a hundred DE blades in my bathroom cupboard, I decided to adapt the DE blades rather than buy a whole new stock of SE blades.

To answer your question in your first sentence, have you ever wished you could use your favorite DE blade in your SE razor, my answer is a resounding, No!

Your plan seems to be too much work for a dubious payoff. Shaving is about fun, not about needless work.

Top Bottom