What's new

Making a DE blade holder for your GEM razor

I’m reviving this old thread because there are few out there still interested in doing this, including me.

FWIW, I returned to traditional wet shaving for environmental reasons. I was getting a good enough shave with cartridge razors, but I didn’t like throwing away all that plastic. My intentions were to get the most bang for the buck and use DE blades. Then I found a small lot of razors which included a Gem 1912 series, which I didn’t think I would use. But I went down that rabbit hole 😬 Since then I’ve been pursuing how to double my shaves per blade on vintage SE razors.
Let us know how the shave with De adapter and Gem 1912 goes for you!

Let us know how the shave with De adapter and Gem 1912 goes for you!
Thanks for sending me the link to this thread! I was attempting to rebuild the wheel, and this one is much better! I finally got around to making this yesterday, I let the epoxy dry 24+ hours. It fits in a 1912 series (Gem/ Star / Ever- Ready), and with a little trimming of the blade overlap it can be loaded into an Ever-Ready 24-14 (Little Lather Catcher). With extra edge trimming (see photos) and removal of the spine (it’s impossible to get tight), it can be carefully loaded into a Micromatic.

1709010237071.jpeg

IMG_3054.jpeg
IMG_3051.jpeg

IMG_3053.jpeg

Thanks for sending me the link to this thread! I was attempting to rebuild the wheel, and this one is much better! I finally got around to making this yesterday, I let the epoxy dry 24+ hours. It fits in a 1912 series (Gem/ Star / Ever- Ready), and with a little trimming of the blade overlap it can be loaded into an Ever-Ready 24-14 (Little Lather Catcher). With extra edge trimming (see photos) and removal of the spine (it’s impossible to get tight), it can be carefully loaded into a Micromatic.

View attachment 1802937

View attachment 1802935View attachment 1802936

View attachment 1802938
LJ, don’t the hairs get into contact with the adapter before the blade? And how did you get it to stay in place?

Edit: I see now! The DE slide into two SEs. You opted to leave out putting the original spine back.

Cool MacGyver-ing!!!

Last edited:
LJ, don’t the hairs get into contact with the adapter before the blade? And how did you get it to stay in place?

Cool MacGyver-ing!!!
The blade in the adapter is fairly snug and solid, not enough room to catch a hair. it’s essentially a SE blade. It is slightly narrower than a SE blade, but it is wide enough to catch on the blade stops at the end of the razor.
The spring/catch at the back of the razor pushes it into the stops, as usual.

Edit: I found that extra trimming and leaving the spine off is necessary for a fit in the Micromatic.
IMG_3056.jpeg
IMG_3057.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom