What's new

Maine just got a little freer

Maine's constitutional carry bill just passed its last legislative hurdle and is on the way to the Governor's desk for his signature. Since the governor is a concealed carry permit holder himself, the chances are good he'll sign it. (It had to be tweaked to suit his preferences, and was.)

Fingers crossed, the governor is a bit of a hothead.

The law allows permitless concealed carry (open carry is already legal) to anyone 21 or older not otherwise prohibited by law to posses a firearm, 18 if a member of the military. (This last one of the governor's requirements.)

It also requires anyone carrying concealed who is stopped by a police officer to inform the officer immediately that he or she is armed. (Small price to pay if you ask me.)

Maine's state police were in favor of the bill, because they were the ones doing the background checks for many of the concealed carry licenses. (Mine included. My village is so small we don't even have a police department.)

My thinking now is to continue renewing my permit because that will allow reciprocity with other states. Maine's reciprocity rules were just expanded to include more states about a month ago. And we can all dream of someday (meaning: with a different president) having national reciprocity.

Life is good.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Good job Maine.

The same law has been brought to the powers that be here in Tennessee twice in the past few years (that I know of). Hasn't passed yet.

As more states pass this law I hope it sways the votes here. I think Kansas was earlier this year?

Headed up to the coast of Maine for vacation in exactly two weeks from today (I have our time of departure on a countdown app on my phone, I'm so excited). Hearing this makes me love the state a little bit more.

Good job Maine.

The same law has been brought to the powers that be here in Tennessee twice in the past few years (that I know of). Hasn't passed yet.

As more states pass this law I hope it sways the votes here. I think Kansas was earlier this year?

Yep, Kansas goes into effect tomorrow, 7/1/15. I already have my CCL, and will continue to renew, so it doesn't really affect me anyways.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
How will, ah, a person from freer states get to Maine for any reciprocity? You'd have to pass through, ah, unfriendly to free-mens-arms states such as NY, NJ, MASS, CT, etc.

However. A step in the right direction. Salutes.

AA

How will, ah, a person from freer states get to Maine for any reciprocity? You'd have to pass through, ah, unfriendly to free-mens-arms states such as NY, NJ, MASS, CT, etc.

However. A step in the right direction. Salutes.

AA
Federal law allows you to transport between two points as long as you are legal in the originating state, and the destination state. Must be inaccessible from passenger compartment and unloaded. Federal law trumps state law in this respect....New Jersey is out of control and doesn't follow the law, so beware.

Wonderful news, makes me proud to be an american :thumbup:

As mentioned above, Kansas CC starts tomorrow. I have my permit, and will continue to renew until they do away with the gun free school zone part of the law.

:thumbup: Also, when going through NJ, remember that even if you have the gun and ammo packed legally, in separate containers in the trunk of the car, jacketed hollow point (i.e. self-defense) ammo is completely illegal in that insane jurisdiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not as "friendly" as Maine, but Tennessee does have an advantage or two over many states. For example-

"NASHVILLE, TN (AP) - Gov. Bill Haslam has signed legislation that allows Tennesseans to get a lifetime handgun-carry permit. During the recent legislative session, the House passed the measure 90-3, and the Senate approved it 30-2. Haslam signed it this week. Before the new law, a permit was valid for four years." May 1, 2015

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Not as "friendly" as Maine, but Tennessee does have an advantage or two over many states. For example-

"NASHVILLE, TN (AP) - Gov. Bill Haslam has signed legislation that allows Tennesseans to get a lifetime handgun-carry permit. During the recent legislative session, the House passed the measure 90-3, and the Senate approved it 30-2. Haslam signed it this week. Before the new law, a permit was valid for four years." May 1, 2015

It's $500. So by my understanding really only makes sense if you are under the age of 30. Maybe 35. Unless you just don't want to hassle with the renewal every 5 years, I can see that being a legit excuse to do it. I'm going to pass though.

Here in the People's Republic of Massachusetts, I have been waiting on my CC permit since last August. It took them until March to process my application to the point where I c/b finger printed and photographed.

I was told it was another 2 - 3 months from that point until the state would be done with their background checks. My dad submitted his application a week before I did and just got his (long time permit holder, but he left the state for a bit).

I have no record of any kind and have been fingerprinted many times (financial securities job), so it is just the chief dragging his feet cause he can

Last edited:
There is some misinformation in this thread concerning New Jersey...

First of all Transport... from the NJ State Police

Transporting a Firearm Into / Through the State of New Jersey

All firearms transported into the State of New Jersey:

• Shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel, shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
  • The firearm should not be directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.
For additional exemptions refer to Chapter 39, namely 2C:39-6g.

All firearms transported through the State of New Jersey:

The following guidelines are provided in order to assist law enforcement officers in applying New Jersey's firearms laws to persons who are transporting firearms through the State of New Jersey.

1. New Jersey laws governing firearms permits, purchaser identification cards, registration and licenses do not apply to a person who is transporting the firearm through this State if that person is transporting the firearm in a manner permitted by federal law, 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
  2. This federal law permitting interstate transportation of a firearm applies only if all of the following requirements are met:
    1. The person's possession of the firearm was lawful in the state in which the journey began;
    2. The person's possession of the firearm will be lawful in the state in which the journey will end;
    3. The person is transporting the firearm for lawful purpose
    4. The firearm is unloaded
    5. The firearm is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
    6. The ammunition is not directly accessible from the passenger compartment of the vehicle
    7. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;
    8. The person is not
      1. a convicted felon
      2. a fugitive from justice an addict or unlawful user of drugs, or
      3. an illegal alien
    9. The person has not
      1. been adjudicated to be a mental defective
      2. been committed to a mental institution
      3. been dishonorably discharged from the armed forces, or
      4. renounced his United States Citizenship
  3. A person who is transporting a firearm though the State of New Jersey in the manner permitted by person's possession 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, see Section II above, need not give notice.
  4. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
    1. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
    2. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
    3. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
    4. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

Secondly... The statement that hollow points are illegal in New Jersey is just plain false. Illegal ? NO Tightly regulated ? Yes

Again from the NJ State Police......

Transportation and Use of Hollow Point Ammunition by Sportsmen

Provided certain conditions are met, a sportsman may transport and use hollow point ammunition. There are no restrictions preventing a sportsman from keeping such ammunition at his home.
N.J.S.A 2C:39-3f(1) limits the possession of hollow nose ammunition. However, there is a general exception that allows for the purchase of this ammunition but restricts the possession of it to specified locations. This exception provides that:
(2) Nothing is sub section f (1) shall be construed to prevent a person from keeping such ammunition at his dwelling, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, or from carrying such ammunition from the place of purchase to said dwelling or land . . . [N.J.S.A 26:39-3g (2)].
Thus a person may purchase this ammunition and keep it within the confines of his property. Sub section f (1) further exempts from the prohibited possession of hollow nose ammunition "persons engaged in activities pursuant to N.J.S.A2C:39-6f. . . ."
N.J.S.A 26:39-3f. (1).

Activities contained in N.J.S.A 26:39-6f. can be broken down as follows:

1. A member of a rifle or pistol club organized under rules of the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice and which filed its charter with the State Police;
    2. A person engaged in hunting or target practice with a firearm legal for hunting in this State;
    3. A person going directly to a target range, and;
    4. A person going directly to an authorized place for "practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions."

As with other ammunition and firearms, a sportsman would have to comply with the provisions of N.J.S.A 2C:39-6f and g when transporting hollow nose ammunition to a target range. The ammunition should be stored in a closed and fastened container or locked in the trunk of the motor vehicle in which it is being transported. The course of travel should be as direct as possible when going to and leaving from the target range with "only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances." N.J.S.A 2C:39-6g.
If the sportsman's club member plans to hunt with a rifle and use hollow nose ammunition in a state where this is permitted, he must comply with the provisions of U.S.C.A. 926A andN.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f) and (6)(g), which is consistent with the federal law, in transporting the firearm and ammunition. The firearm should be unloaded and neither the firearm nor the ammunition should be readily accessible from the passenger compartment. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the firearm and the ammunition should be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or the console. 18 U.S.C.A. 926A.
In addition, the sportsman should have a valid hunting license in his possession from the state in which he plans to hunt and should be familiar with that state's gun laws. N.J.S.A 2C:39-6(f)(2) requires a person hunting in this State to have a valid hunting license in his possession while traveling to or from the hunting area. Hunting with hollow nose ammunition is permitted in New Jersey. In the case of a New Jersey resident traveling to another state to hunt, it logically would follow that the hunting license would be from the state where the hunter is going. Although the federal statute does not require possession of a hunting license, it does require that the person transporting the firearm be going to a state where possession of that object is lawful. A valid hunting license from that state effectively supplies the proof.
These conditions for use and transport of hollow nose ammunition are consistent with the legislative intent to restrict the use of such ammunition to a limited number of people. It is well established that in construing a statute exceptions are to be "strictly but reasonably construed, consistent with the manifest reason and purpose of the law." Service Armament Co. v. Hyland, 70 N.J. 550, 558-559 (1976). The State Supreme Court has "characterized the Gun Control Law as 'highly purposed and conscientiously designed toward preventing criminal and other unfit elements from acquiring firearms while enabling the fit elements of society to obtain them with minimal burdens.'" Id. at 559.

The governor signed the bill into law yesterday. It will take effect 90 days after the legislature adjourns for the session. (Looks like a week or two for that.)

It's a great day for civil rights in Maine. :thumbup1:

Top Bottom