What's new

How is it in your State?

Tennessee is a wonderful place live..one of the best ever. But....
Sometimes the stuff that comes out of Nashville is, well..curious at best.
Most recently Tennessee passed new legislation that really makes little sense at all to the people it affects; most noticeably, police (mostly retired police) and sportsmen. Won't get into the wildlife stuff right now.

TN is a pretty firearms-friendly State. Even so, the passage of a bill that reduced the cost of a lifetime CCW permit to only $100 for retired law enforcement officers sounded great. Turns out it only applies to officers retired from Tennessee agencies. Those transplants from elsewhere...too bad, so sad. No discount for you. Like anyone from out of state didn't work quite as hard or something?

Better yet.

Those of you who know what LEOSA is (no time to explain it here) are aware of how it works. Beginning July 1, 2017 Tennessee will, in addition to the already in place requirements to attend 8 hours of training and qualify with EVERY pistol you intend to carry, will require the submission of a fresh set of fingerprints to the FBI/TBI. No fun at $40 or so a copy. Like what?? Fingerprints change?

Nah...easier for me to return annually to my home agency in Florida and play by their rules.
Any of y'all have to jump through hoops like that?

I live in NY (Upstate, not the city). Guess that just about says it all. It is ridiculous what they make us go through here.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Not sure what they do for retired police officers here (IN), but a lifetime permit is only around 60 bucks for everyone so doubt it matters :). It's all shall-issue, no tests or training or any of that bunk (not that training is bad..but it shouldn't be forced upon people).

Last edited:
The same, NY, and not that city, our permits just changed to a five year renewal. Every time you buy or sell a handgun, you have to go to your county permit office, it is put on, or taken off. You do this before you can take possession. No mags over 10 rounds, and a by compliant AR 15, is something to behold, indeed.

I am in NC. Not sure about retired LEO's, but us regular folks pay $50 + $20 for a BS search of our hospital records every 5 years.

Not so bad and pretty firearm friendly state.

Illinois has been said to be among the most burdensome. Sixteen hours of class plus time at the range to make sure you can hit the side of a barn. Most of the classroom time is spent describing what will happen to you if you discharge your weapon in defense. You get handcuffed, taken to jail, etc. Best advice was to not make any statement until the next day so you can collect your thoughts.

Irony is in TN, a civilian permit is pretty straightforward. Eight hours in a classroom-one time, shoot a pretty elementary course of fire-one time..that's it forever. Renewal is $50 for eight years. Reciprocity in around 37 states. Retired police should have it so good. That's the part I can't figure out??????

Almost impossible to get a CWP here in California unless you are way out in the boondocks...It was a good day for us today, a judge ruled that California's new law ( on July 1st ) that makes even possession of a clip/mag that holds more than 10 rounds a criminal offense is a violation of "you know what"....However , we have not heard of the other new laws being affected or not..Many Calif. gun owners go into Reno , Nevada to buy less expensive ammo , that will be a felony on July first. guns.JPG

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
TN is easy peasy. But they do their due diligence. I have a "weapons charge" on my record from a long time ago when I was stopped for speeding in IL and had a switch blade in my car. And the cop put down "illegal use of a blackjack.". Which makes no sense but whatever, it was illegal either way.

Cut to 13 years later when I'm applying for a CCW in TN. I get a letter from them questioning the charge. So I had to request the official court documents and send to the state so they can look them over before I was approved for the CCW. I guess it's comforting to know they are actually checking in to peoples backgrounds before they issue CCW's.

BUT....when I got my FOID card in IL, they didn't question anything at all.

Here in Tokyo (Japan, not Texas) the laws are pretty severe. Getting a license for a firearm requires an exam, a background check, numerous fees, and registration of whatever gun you are going to buy. A license is required for each firearm. You are limited to rifles and shotguns, unless you are a competitive shooter who shoots with a target pistol. Buying ammunition requires a permit, though many people reload.

About 250,000 people in Japan are gun owners, though the rest of the world seems unaware of the fact. Gun violence is rare, to say the least. But the average age of hunters here is around 70, and hunters tend to shoot each other (unintentionally) as often as they shoot the deer.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Oklahoma Retired LEO:

What does the statute allow me to do?
To carry a concealed firearm that has been shipped or transported in interstate or foreign commerce, subject to certain exceptions.
Who can transport a concealed weapon under this law?
You must be a ‘qualified retired law enforcement officer’ and meet the testing standards.

What are the qualification requirements?
A ‘qualified retired law enforcement officer’ means you –

a. retired in good standing from service with a public agency as a law enforcement officer, and you retired for reasons other than mental instability, AND
b. before retirement, you were authorized by law to engage in or supervise the prevention, detection, investigation, or prosecution of any violation of law, and had statutory powers of arrest; , AND
c. before such retirement, you were regularly employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more; OR
-you retired from service with such agency, after completing any applicable probationary period, due to a service-connected disability (as determined by that agency) AND
d. you have a nonforfeitable right to benefits under the retirement plan of the agency; AND
e. during the most recent 12-month period, you have met, at your expense, the State’s standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry firearms; AND
f. you are not under the influence of alcohol or another intoxicating or hallucinatory drug or substance; AND
g. you are not prohibited by Federal law from receiving a firearm.

What identification am I required to carry?
(1) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which you retired that indicates that you have been tested or otherwise found by the agency to meet the standards of training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm (within the last 12 months); OR
(2) a photographic identification issued by the agency from which you retired; AND a certification issued by the State in which you reside that indicates that you have been tested or otherwise found by the State to meet the standards for training and qualification for active law enforcement officers to carry a firearm of the same type as the concealed firearm (within the last 12 months).

What firearm am I allowed to transport?
A firearm of the ‘same type’ as the one with which you qualified.

What does the statute NOT allow me to do?
18 U.S.C. � 926C does NOT supersede or limit any state laws that—
a. Permit private persons or entities to prohibit or restrict concealed firearms on their property, OR
b. Prohibit or restrict possession of firearms on State or local government property, installation, building, base, or park
c. Prohibit the transporting of machine guns, firearm silencers, or ‘destructive devices’.

What ‘course of fire’ is required?
This will vary. It is the course of fire required by the agency from which you retired, OR the course of fire required by the State in which you reside.

Oklahoma Concealed Weapons Permit:

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - How to apply

Ad Astra

The Instigator
(thoughtfully) If only the criminals would obey gun laws like regular folks do! It's almost as if they want to be bad.

Even reasonable states may have unreasonable requirements in urban areas.

AA

My home state has been a "shall issue" state for 35 years.

I am a NRA shooting instructor so my "hands-on" requirements are covered by that.

Missouri is a permitless carry, stand your ground state. Finally.

Maine also became a permitless carry state a couple of years ago, but I intend to renew my permit when it comes up strictly for reciprocity--Maine recognizes 27 other states' permits. Many guys up here also get the Utah non-resident permit, as it has reciprocity with the most states.

Also, there are quirks in the Maine laws; for instance, you can keep a gun in your car in the employee parking lot with a permit, but not without.

Before permitless carry, Maine was a "shall issue" state and still is. New permits cost $35, renewals $20, good for four years. For new permits you have to show you've taken a firearm safety course such as NRA Basic Pistol.

As far as LEOs go, it seems that the "issuing authority may waive" the fees for in-state LEOs. (The issuing authority is either the local police dept. or the state police if you don't have a local police dept.) Don't know if they regularly waive or not.

Maine also became a permitless carry state a couple of years ago, but I intend to renew my permit when it comes up strictly for reciprocity--Maine recognizes 27 other states' permits. Many guys up here also get the Utah non-resident permit, as it has reciprocity with the most states.

Also, there are quirks in the Maine laws; for instance, you can keep a gun in your car in the employee parking lot with a permit, but not without.

Before permitless carry, Maine was a "shall issue" state and still is. New permits cost $35, renewals $20, good for four years. For new permits you have to show you've taken a firearm safety course such as NRA Basic Pistol.

As far as LEOs go, it seems that the "issuing authority may waive" the fees for in-state LEOs. (The issuing authority is either the local police dept. or the state police if you don't have a local police dept.) Don't know if they regularly waive or not.

I keep my permit as well. There are some places where having a permit is the difference between a warning or a citation. Bars, schools, stadiums, etc.. Not cars though. It was legal to conceal carry in your car long before permitless carry came about.

MA = not terribly difficult to get a license to carry.

On the other hand its AWB (no +10 round mags, evil bayonet lugs and in some cases pistol grips) and handgun "consumer safety regulations" are a joke and simply another way to suppress certain "evil" designs from being sold.

IMG_1079.JPG
IMG_1080.JPG
IMG_1081.JPG
Indeed there is much consternation afoot about <10 round magazines and the like. From a sporting perspective, I simply cannot see the need for anything having a capacity of more than 4-5 rounds.
And although I do not live in an environment which necessitates "extreme" armament, it is readily available, just for the asking. No need for high-capacity magazines...there are other venues. Uh huh.

Top Bottom