What's new

luxury wallets

What is the most you've spent on a wallet?

• Total voters
Own a popov leather wallet. Slim profile and excellent quality. Maybe 50 bucks iirc. Will last a lifetime.

Saddleback also makes nice wallets that will endure years of hardship. Maybe closer to 100 bucks for one but don’t remember. Bought one for my dad years back.

Berluti wallet:
61CCD2F5-DEE9-4478-96DA-C0DB4077E4C5.jpeg

Truthfully, it’s so fancy, I haven’t been able to bring myself to use it yet.

It was a gift, but all of their wallets sell north of $500.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
My current wallet, and the other 2nd in line wallet, is by Popov Leather. I don’t plan on buying another one for a long time. I’ve had 3 wallets my entire life, 1 I carried since I was 18 which I got as a gift from my friends for a bday. And the other 2 by Popov leather - 1 was given to me by Popov and 1 was a PIF.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Have come across a couple local leather workers in my travels that do some really nice work, looks promising for when the day comes to replace my current wallet, i'll start the search with them.
dave
This is the way I am thinking of going as well.

+1 on getting better quality from leather goods maker than a highend brand. Quality of leather and stiching are much better. The only thing is finding the maker you like as there are many leatherworkers making nice wallets these days.
Just find one that suit your style.

I can't remember what I paid for my wallet. I recall that I bought it in 2001, so that's 18 years and counting. It shows a bit of wear, but so do I compared to 18 years ago. The store I bought it from was in business for decades, but it is long gone. If I ever need a new one I can get one from the maker online. This one is similar to what I have Tony Perotti Mens Italian Bull Leather Classic Bifold Credit Card Wallet but it can hold more cards.

One key thing I like about it is that it didn't have the plastic inserts to hold various cards. Those things always seemed to grow some type of scummy matter on them. My wallet just has leather slots built in either side so there is room for 6 items if you want to use the slots. There is also room behind the slots to carry even more cards if you want. The only cards I carry are a bank card, a drivers licence, and a library card! On a good day there is even some cash in it!

I just stick my drivers license, a card or two and cash if I have it in my front pocket. Am I missing out by not carrying a wallet? I got tired of sitting on a lump in my back pocket about 20 years ago.

I just stick my drivers license, a card or two and cash if I have it in my front pocket. Am I missing out by not carrying a wallet?
It depends on how much you care about keeping everything together/organized. For example, one can have a bunch of paraphernalia all over one's table, or one can buy a tray or something else to keep it all organized.

I got tired of sitting on a lump in my back pocket about 20 years ago.

I switched to carrying my wallet in the front pocket wallet about 10 or so years ago.

FWIW, I bought another big skinny for now. They didn't have a graphite one that I was using previously, so I got it in charcoal.

I did visit the local LV store and the quality of their wallets and bags is impeccable. But for some reason I wasn't feeling that I wanted to buy one yet. Maybe after a few more visits...

Attachments

• IMG_2409.JPG
    IMG_2409.JPG
    730.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2410.JPG
    IMG_2410.JPG
    568.9 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
If you want a high end wallet, you are much better off going with a leatherworker than a luxury brand

+1 on getting better quality from leather goods maker than a highend brand. Quality of leather and stiching are much better. The only thing is finding the maker you like as there are many leatherworkers making nice wallets these days.
Just find one that suit your style.

I think it's a different -- the kind of fit and finish from a luxury brand will be superior to that you can get from an artisan because the tools & methods used by the luxury brands tend to be better. The local artisan (if you can find one) will certainly be a better value, but it is unlikely he would be able to provide the kind of finishes that the luxury brands are able to.

I found this to be true with furniture as well.

No it will not.

Luxury brand is jacked up price for brand name

It's the same with sunglasses, clothes, watches, shoes, you name it. One made by a true master of the craft is always always nicer, longer lasting, and less expensive than a luxury brand. People tell themselves otherwise to deflect from wallet shock

I think it's a different -- the kind of fit and finish from a luxury brand will be superior to that you can get from an artisan because the tools & methods used by the luxury brands tend to be better. The local artisan (if you can find one) will certainly be a better value, but it is unlikely he would be able to provide the kind of finishes that the luxury brands are able to.

I found this to be true with furniture as well.

Don’t know if I quite agree with this. Have seen some better quality from none luxury brands. Just depends on product and company.

Don’t know if I quite agree with this. Have seen some better quality from none luxury brands. Just depends on product and company.

Not all luxury brands are equal. Some are only interested in making money (many of these are "revived brands that died) but some truly take pride in their work. The latter are rare.

I use and like a Maxpedition bifold wallet, but lately I've been tempted to get a local craftsman to make me one out of stallion leather. I got one of his tobacco pouches in this leather about a year ago and it just looks better and better. The quality of the double stitching is fantastic, and it could well outlast me. I think his wallets start at about £65.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I use and like a Maxpedition bifold wallet, but lately I've been tempted to get a local craftsman to make me one out of stallion leather. I got one of his tobacco pouches in this leather about a year ago and it just looks better and better. The quality of the double stitching is fantastic, and it could well outlast me. I think his wallets start at about £65.
That's a steal!

Making my way through the airport on yet another business trip I made an impulse purchase of a Thumi billfold wallet. I think it ran around $80, the most I had ever spent on a wallet. It's about a year old and still looks new. Will need to give it another few years to see if it really holds up better than cheaper wallets I have had and discarded in the past.

Here are some stock photos of what I have except the inside of mine is slightly different -
1035366618_main.jpg

1035366618_alt1.jpg

Tim

Top Bottom