What's new

Lore of the Palmolive stick

Yes, it is.
It appears that the article/review is from 2012 and the cream is now readily available at a decent price. The company may have been working down the supply line glut and started manufacturing back up again between the time of the article and now.

Yep, this is the phenomena pretty much. Add in the ptsd that wetshavers suffered from the great reformulation traumas (the 3t's creams were changed from a wonderful thick, gloopy, croap like product to a far inferior thing before eventually settling on their current form; and subsequently many of the old, high end tallow base hard soaps went to palm oil bases - and the companies were we, less than forthcoming with the truth) and you have the perfect storm.
Hey, I resemble that!! Every time I read about a product that I use that's rumored to be discontinued, I immediately start googling for stock, etc. I get caught up in panic.

In the course of following this string, I have made an interesting observation.

When I started this string nearly two weeks ago, I claimed that:

"...This has been one of my favourite soaps for long, in the first instance for lathering quality, but also for it's "old school" feel, the colour, and especially it's scent...".​
Now two weeks on, I have to confess however, that I had not actually used the green Palmolive stick for a long time when I wrote the above. I wrote it based on earlier experience/memory, and the idea I had settled on, that this was "one of my favourite soaps".

Prompted by this post, I dug out a green stick from my stash, and have used it regularly for the past two weeks, and -- alas -- I find that the lather quality is quite poor, compared to soaps that I use on a regular basis these days (Klar, Cella brick, Mitchell's wool fat, Arko stick).

So I wonder what happened ...

I guess I have become a more experienced shaver since I first fell in love with the Palmolive stick ... become more familiar with how quality lather behaves, and what it feels like.

Still, I am struck by how powerful "an idea" can be in judging (in this case) a soap. It only goes to confirm the main point I made at the outset, about the special "aura" of the Palmolive stick. Especially its olfactory power, its fragrance, makes it very special for me, even though I now realize that it's actually a pretty ****ty soap (..!! )

...interesting post...luckily I have stocked up as I still rate Palmolive as a great tallow soap and do not find it produces a lesser lather than Cella, Klar, MWF, or Arko when dialled in...

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
In the course of following this string, I have made an interesting observation.

When I started this string nearly two weeks ago, I claimed that:

"...This has been one of my favourite soaps for long, in the first instance for lathering quality, but also for it's "old school" feel, the colour, and especially it's scent...".​
Now two weeks on, I have to confess however, that I had not actually used the green Palmolive stick for a long time when I wrote the above. I wrote it based on earlier experience/memory, and the idea I had settled on, that this was "one of my favourite soaps".

Prompted by this post, I dug out a green stick from my stash, and have used it regularly for the past two weeks, and -- alas -- I find that the lather quality is quite poor, compared to soaps that I use on a regular basis these days (Klar, Cella brick, Mitchell's wool fat, Arko stick).

So I wonder what happened ...

I guess I have become a more experienced shaver since I first fell in love with the Palmolive stick ... become more familiar with how quality lather behaves, and what it feels like.

Still, I am struck by how powerful "an idea" can be in judging (in this case) a soap. It only goes to confirm the main point I made at the outset, about the special "aura" of the Palmolive stick. Especially its olfactory power, its fragrance, makes it very special for me, even though I now realize that it's actually a pretty ****ty soap (..!! )

First use of something you haven't used for a while, might explain the lesser performance. After a few more shaves you might find yourself realising its full potential again.

Top Bottom