What's new

Looking to buy a suit after many a year, or alter my old one

Sadly, the tie with dots is a pic off of the internet - I can't find one in stores. :thumbdown My current tie is the purple stripes one in my hand.

Thanks to all for the advice and well wishes! It is greatly appreciated.

So, I will probably end up with a longer sleeved white shirt and get the sleeves altered for my "interview shirt". Unless I can find one off of the rack that fits.

For a relatively affordable suit, the new one is lighter weight than the black one and looks less somber, to me. If it works, it was worth it. :thumbup:

Shoe wise, I will probably use the tasseled loafers. Eventually, I get the impression that a black Bal with a capped toe but without the "holey" leather is a standard dressy shoe for all occasions, and the "holey leather" look is more casual and better on a burgundy/oxblood shoe. A nice rich brown does sound good to me, but apparently oxblood sounds like the way to go?

Last edited:
My (hopefully) last question - would either of these shoes work for an interview? Are they worth it compared to my tasseled loafer-style leather shoes?

Clarks Bilton Forge
$31_26068128_10107_6.jpg

Clarks Quid Fargus
$31_26066162_10107_6.jpg

I have to say, this will probably be the first time I have been this intellectually invested in the whole "suit and tie" thing. I'm generally a quite casual guy.

My (hopefully) last question - would either of these shoes work for an interview? Are they worth it compared to my tasseled loafer-style leather shoes?

Clarks Bilton Forge

Clarks Quid Fargus

I have to say, this will probably be the first time I have been this intellectually invested in the whole "suit and tie" thing. I'm generally a quite casual guy.

Yes, both would work. The first looks a tad more formal but both would fit easily into formal situations and the second would work well with less formal pants, such as khakies, due to the lines.

Thanks! I ordered the top ones (Bilton Forge) for my "dress shoes" (interviews, weddings, funerals) since I like the tooled leather trim areas. I generally like my Clarks for confort, so I hope that these continue the trend.

When I finally get the ensemble ready for prime time, I'll post some more pics.

For something more casual and fun when I need to order another pair (from Rockport) -

$271271_366_45.jpg

Well, I think that the interview went well. We'll see how things turn out.

On a different note, I tried the Clarks shoe and it simply wasn't comfortable. My leather-soled tasseled loafers were definitely not comfortable with significant amounts of walking, so they're either out or possibly a candidate for a soft insole replacement. So, I'm thinking of one of the following 4 as a "dressy event/interview/wear with suit" shoe. I put the one I liked best as #1, and the one I like least (but still like enough to wear and enjoy) as #4. I'm looking for opinions as to whether these are dressy enough or not.

Thanks in advance!

Rockport Almartin
$shoes_iaec1163369.jpg

Ecco Dublin cap toe tie
$eccou657229_180248_jb.jpg

Rockport Ellingwood
$rockp185375_89703_jb.jpg

Rockport Alpenhorn (if available)
$rockp353504_76838_jb.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I think that the interview went well. We'll see how things turn out.

On a different note, I tried the Clarks shoe and it simply wasn't comfortable. My leather-soled tasseled loafers were definitely not comfortable with significant amounts of walking, so they're either out or possibly a candidate for a soft insole replacement. So, I'm thinking of one of the following 4 as a "dressy event/interview/wear with suit" shoe. I put the one I liked best as #1, and the one I like least (but still like enough to wear and enjoy) as #4. I'm looking for opinions as to whether these are dressy enough or not.

Thanks in advance!

They're all passable and will probably look good to most people. I would avoid the black wingtip though. Brown is better, but not with your suit. The only caveat to those brands is that they're all pretty cheap and the shoes will fall apart and/or look crappy pretty quickly. If you budget can support it I would suggest maybe looking at Johston & Murphy, Allen Edmonds seconds, or some others in that price range ($150-250)

If you're set on one of those shoes you posted, the ECCO is the best quality of the four.

Top Bottom