What's new

Looking to buy a suit after many a year, or alter my old one

Well . . . I am currently trying to switch jobs to get over to Seattle, and one thing that I am thinking about is a new suit. I have an old suit jacket and pants that would need to be altered, but I'm also thinking of a new suit.

The suit in question would be for job interviews (medicine - a pretty conservative field, I think), weddings, funerals, and other formal occasions. I'd like it to be conservative enough to not get me in trouble, but other than that I'm hoping for something comfortable ad with some character.

My current suit is black wool (I think - it might be very dark blue), with a slight pattern on the cloth. If I recall correctly, it was from a fancy department store but there is no name on the pants. The jacket is upstairs, hiding.

$IMG_7804.jpg$IMG_7805.jpg$IMG_7806.jpg

I've never liked suits. The only formalwear that I've ever thought of wearing more than absolutely necessary would be steampunk-styled stuff, but that just doesn't fly in a conservative job interview.

Ideally, I'd like something appropriate (I've read that navy or charcoal grey are the 2 common options for job interviews and such), comfortable, and stylish enough in some way as to be useful beyond living in a closet for years and seeing the light of day (or night) once in a blue moon. I did have a light (linen?) grey blazer that I did prefer as it was light and not wool, but it wrinkled something fierce.

Exactly what options do I have? Am I expecting too much from a suit if I'm not a "suit person"? Should I just get a navy suit that is tailored to fit and call it a day?

I should add that I have a pair of goatskin loafers that look formal (they may have tassels, I don't recall - they are those hard soled shoes that I have never found to be comfortable). I prefer shirts with color (purple or bright blue) and Jerry Garcia ties.

Thanks in advance.

I've never liked suits. The only formalwear that I've ever thought of wearing more than absolutely necessary would be steampunk-styled stuff, but that just doesn't fly in a conservative job interview.

It doesn't fly anywhere outside of cosplay conventions. Please don't wear "steampunk" (really, just 'wacky Victorian') clothing in real life.

I prefer shirts with color (purple or bright blue) and Jerry Garcia ties.

Oh dear...

StylinLA covered it. Charcoal or navy, don't get a black suit. What's your budget? And go for subtlety colored shirts (white, off white, light blue) with the suit. And...not a psychedelic tie.

What's your current suit look like on you?

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The suit in question would be for job interviews (medicine - a pretty conservative field, I think) ...

The only formalwear that I've ever thought of wearing ... would be steampunk-styled stuff ...

proxy.php

Darned hard to answer the interview questions with that big mask thingy.

Oh dear...

StylinLA covered it. Charcoal or navy, don't get a black suit. What's your budget? And go for subtlety colored shirts (white, off white, light blue) with the suit. And...not a psychedelic tie.

Pretty much it.

Charcoal-to-mid-dark-grey or navy.

Plain/muted/small-repeating-pattern tie.

White shirt. Cream if you want to be "different". Pink if you want to be so different they don't give you the job, and your steampunk bird-doctor-mask-thing is at the cleaners.

You can check out a site called Combatant Gentlemen. They sell nice quality suits for a good price.
I think their stuff is mostly slim fit, but I haven't looked in a little while.

Good luck in your job search!

Solid a navy or charcoal gray. Not black.

+1 black is generally not a good choice unless you have a high contrast complexion. Charcoal or Navy are solid choices but a lighter grey at this time of the year is also great style. I would normally pair this with ox blood (burgundy) shoes or light brown for a lighter grey. If you are going more formal then get laces and ditch the loafers.

As for age of suit and the ties, look around in style magazines to see what is in and you feel would suit you. Suits have changed a lot, particularly for the young, in recent years.

OK, just so y'all don't think that I'm even more nuts that I actually am . . .

Yes, I am very well aware that steampunk outfits don't belong in conservative interviews.

I am a little surprised that only white and cream are ok for shirts. My stock interview shirt is usually a light purple with my "interview tie". For the next 2 photos, the first jacket is my current suit jacket with a purple shirt and my usual tie. Bright and loud, yes, but I didn't think it would be out of place with a nice suit in an interview.

The last shot is my gray linen blazer, which I like much more (it's a much lighter weight), but it wrinkles and isn't part of a suit.

I never buttoned the buttons on either suit, to be honest.

My current suit doesn't fit, as my waist . . . has gotten larger. I could easily get the suit adjusted, which I may still do, but it's not a beloved piece of my wardrobe. It's the "I need a suit and I can't get away with something more casual" suit.

$IMG_8086.jpg$IMG_8087.jpg$IMG_8088.jpg

The gist of what I'm reading is a navy or charcoal suit (I'm leaning towards charcoal) with a conservative shirt and tie. White or cream for a shirt and a conservative tie . . . I may end up going this route, but it certainly isn't me (and those who know me would agree!).

I guess another question would be - do I need a new suit? Can I "get away with" my current black one?

A black suit isn't terrible for interviews, the fit is the real question, which is hard to tell unless we get a shot of you wearing it. Agree that the linen blazer isn't appropriate, and linen suits in general are pretty specific. It's possible to get a summer weight wool or cotton suit.

Bright and loud, yes, but I didn't think it would be out of place with a nice suit in an interview.

It absolutely is out of place in an interview (and most other places in my opinion). You are presenting yourself as "that guy who wore a loud shirt and wacky tie" rather than "The guy who interviewed well and has the skills for the position". In general, but especially for an interview, your clothing shouldn't be wacky enough to define who you are, unless you're in performance or out at a nightclub or something.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I am a little surprised that only white and cream are ok for shirts.

Light blue is okay too, for interviews. But really, you need one white shirt to wear for interviews and funerals.

For day-to-day suit-wearing (yeah, your're really "that type of guy" :001_rolle) lots of other colours and stripes and such work just fine too.

My stock interview shirt is usually a light purple with my "interview tie". For the next 2 photos, the first jacket is my current suit jacket with a purple shirt and my usual tie. Bright and loud, yes, but I didn't think it would be out of place with a nice suit in an interview.

proxy.php

My current suit doesn't fit, as my waist . . . has gotten larger. I could easily get the suit adjusted, which I may still do, but it's not a beloved piece of my wardrobe. It's the "I need a suit and I can't get away with something more casual" suit.

The gist of what I'm reading is a navy or charcoal suit (I'm leaning towards charcoal) with a conservative shirt and tie. White or cream for a shirt and a conservative tie . . . I may end up going this route, but it certainly isn't me (and those who know me would agree!).

Don't go too far out of your comfort zone. What about this outfit you describe is particularly "not you"? Is it just the whole "having to put on a suit" thing, or is there part of the look that turns you off?

I guess another question would be - do I need a new suit? Can I "get away with" my current black one?

Probably.

It won't be as good an option as a good new suit, but then the question becomes do you really need the new suit? You are being interviewed by restaurateurs, not fashion editors or B&B stylists.

Last edited by a moderator:
It won't be as good an option as a good new suit, but then the question becomes do you really need the new suit? You are being interviewed by restaurateurs, not fashion editors or B&B stylists.

Actually, other physicians (family medicine).

What about this outfit you describe is particularly "not you"? Is it just the whole "having to put on a suit" thing, or is there part of the look that turns you off?

I don't like suits in general - they feel "somber", heavy, and uncomfortable. I like the linen blazer much more due to its lightness and that I can move my arms around much more. I also associate navy blazers with having to attend boring formal functions as a child. :tongue_sm

I've also never cared for the look of standard suits.

So . . . go to the tailor's to make sure it fits, get a conservative shirt (white, cream, or light blue with no buttondown) and matching tie, and possibly replace the suit with a charcoal. Maybe upgraded shoes, and make sure the belt matches and is nice. Got it. I think!

A
I don't like suits in general - they feel "somber", heavy, and uncomfortable. I like the linen blazer much more due to its lightness and that I can move my arms around much more. I also associate navy blazers with having to attend boring formal functions as a child. :tongue_sm

I've also never cared for the look of standard suits.

To be honest this might be a function of buying cheap or questionable quality suits from department stores. My older, cheaper suits and jackets all felt heavy and bag like, because they were made with inferior materials, were fused, and cut way too big. A properly fit suit from a fabric weight that suits you should feel pretty comfortable. Also, "standard" suits often look bad because, as I said, they're tailored very poorly.

It's possible to have a flashy or interesting suit ensemble. But a psychedelic tie and bright colored shirt usually isn't the way to go about it.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
To be honest this might be a function of buying cheap or questionable quality suits from department stores. My older, cheaper suits and jackets all felt heavy and bag like, because they were made with inferior materials, were fused, and cut way too big. A properly fit suit from a fabric weight that suits you should feel pretty comfortable. Also, "standard" suits often look bad because, as I said, they're tailored very poorly.

I grew up wearing cheap sports coats as my "formal" attire, and found them bulky and uncomfortable. The shirts were always too small at the collar too. Toward the end of University career, when I was finally looking for real work, I bought a real suit. It was regularly $1200 discounted a couple times to about $400, and a very lightweight worsted ... and well made. Wearing it felt wonderful ... light and comfortable, and totally not what I was used to.

I grew up wearing cheap sports coats as my "formal" attire, and found them bulky and uncomfortable. The shirts were always too small at the collar too. Toward the end of University career, when I was finally looking for real work, I bought a real suit. It was regularly $1200 discounted a couple times to about $400, and a very lightweight worsted ... and well made. Wearing it felt wonderful ... light and comfortable, and totally not what I was used to.

I may have to check some out . . . you never know when you're going to run into some restauranteurs who need impressing. :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I may have to check some out . . . you never know when you're going to run into some restauranteurs who need impressing. :thumbup:

You know, three weeks from now you are going to be in a hospital and yell out "I need 20 cc's of hollandaise, stat!!" ... and nobody will get it.

Top Bottom