What's new

Looking for very aggressive DE safety razor

On your recommendation and Scott's, I've ordered a Le Coq caged head. So far, my most aggressive razor is the Ikon Tech. Also have a 2011 R41. Have not yet tried the PAA Doc Evo or the CGL3, though Scott (@pbrmhl) has generously offered to give me the chance to take both around the block. Right now, I'm doing a deep dive into the Barbasol Floating Head, courtesy of @Twelvefret. Yet another wonderful aggressive razor.

Just for the fun of it, I've got a Raspira on its way from Russia as well as a Yaqi Beast and a Matador (aggressive head). Haven't yet ordered a Pearl OC or a V3A, though I probably will since all are cheap enough to take a chance on sight unseen.
Glad to here you got a chance to try it out. Heavy razor isn't it?

Glad to here you got a chance to try it out. Heavy razor isn't it?
You've not read my reviews? Was posting in a topic created for the occasion under the title Barbasol Floating Head. Have run it a few times now. I like the weight of the razor and its efficiency. Find it smoother than the Ikon but not offering quite as much blade feel. On some days, it's shaved every bit as close. Others it's seemed a half step behind. Perhaps it's a matter of letting the razor teach me its preferred technique. I tend to shave at steep angles. Many razors seem to prefer shallow or neutral. Have been playing with it. Used it just a bit yesterday but have not had a chance to write it up yet.

13A350BA-8CBB-4C12-AA65-5E79F8882FEF.jpeg
You've not read my reviews? Was posting in a topic created for the occasion under the title Barbasol Floating Head. Have run it a few times now. I like the weight of the razor and its efficiency. Find it smoother than the Ikon but not offering quite as much blade feel. On some days, it's shaved every bit as close. Others it's seemed a half step behind. Perhaps it's a matter of letting the razor teach me its preferred technique. I tend to shave at steep angles. Many razors seem to prefer shallow or neutral. Have been playing with it. Used it just a bit yesterday but have not had a chance to write it up yet.
I did not get a notification, but having seen them, I have been enjoying reading your comparison(s).

I have another monster. It was a Sheffield, English produced safety razor referred to a "The Gleaner".

View attachment 928602
I did not get a notification, but having seen them, I have been enjoying reading your comparison(s).

I have another monster. It was a Sheffield, English produced safety razor referred to a "The Gleaner".
Wow! Looks a lot like the Le Coq caged head but of better quality. Just ordered the Le Coq on the recommendation of @pbrmhl and others. Was able to land it for $40, which seemed more than fair. Have already offered to lend it to Frank, but you're welcome to try it too once he's done. Perhaps compare it to your Gleaner and let me know which is best. (Haven't even received it yet and already it's out the door twice! Ha!)

On your recommendation and Scott's, I've ordered a Le Coq caged head. So far, my most aggressive razor is the Ikon Tech. Also have a 2011 R41. Have not yet tried the PAA Doc Evo or the CGL3, though Scott (@pbrmhl) has generously offered to give me the chance to take both around the block. Right now, I'm doing a deep dive into the Barbasol Floating Head, courtesy of @Twelvefret. Yet another wonderful aggressive razor.

Just for the fun of it, I've got a Raspira on its way from Russia as well as a Yaqi Beast and a Matador (aggressive head). Haven't yet ordered a Pearl OC or a V3A, though I probably will since all are cheap enough to take a chance on sight unseen.

I look forward to seeing the shave report on the Le Coq Cage head. I saw a NOS one in the bay. I've seen reviews saying it's plenty aggressive but was concerned when I read the curved head is fragile.

I had the CG level 2 and thought it wasn't efficient enough. I want to try the Level 3 one day.

The Famex is another one if you can find one, which not only has a well built cage (a real cage not a faux cage like the Le Coq) but adds adjustablity to the mix. Cold dead hands.
Wow! Looks a lot like the Le Coq caged head but of better quality. Just ordered the Le Coq on the recommendation of @pbrmhl and others. Was able to land it for $40, which seemed more than fair. Have already offered to lend it to Frank, but you're welcome to try it too once he's done. Perhaps compare it to your Gleaner and let me know which is best. (Haven't even received it yet and already it's out the door twice! Ha!)
proxy.php

Last edited:
I look forward to seeing the shave report on the Le Coq Cage head. I saw a NOS one in the bay. I've seen reviews saying it's plenty aggressive but was concerned when I read the curved head is fragile.

I had the CG level 2 and thought it wasn't efficient enough. I want to try the Level 3 one day.

LeCoq made many variants. The cheap ones were aluminum “cages” and were very fragile. They also had ones made of brass and steel. These were much more durable... seek them out, they are excellent aggressive razors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LeCoq made many variants. The cheap ones were aluminum “cages” and were very fragile. They also had ones made of brass and steel. These were much more durable... seek them out, they are excellent aggressive razors.

I've read that. The one that's coming my way has the caged head. Do not know if it's brass or aluminum. I suspect the latter as I paid just $40 plus shipping. But who knows. Will find out when it arrives.

I've read that. The one that's coming my way has the caged head. Do not know if it's brass or aluminum. I suspect the latter as I paid just $40 plus shipping. But who knows. Will find out when it arrives.

Please let us know when it arrives and what you think of the shave. It’s one of my closest shaving razors with lots of blade feel... I use a really smooth blade like Gillette yellow and it is heaven.

Please let us know when it arrives and what you think of the shave. It’s one of my closest shaving razors with lots of blade feel... I use a really smooth blade like Gillette yellow and it is heaven.

Is yours brass or aluminum? Do you know if the two shave the same?

Is yours brass or aluminum? Do you know if the two shave the same?

I have a brass one. They should perform the same, except that the aluminum cages are usually bent out of shape which affects the shave. Also the AL are nominally lighter.

One of the guys in that thread, possibly the OP, spoke of trying it out and finding it to be mild. If that's the case, I've no interest in finding one. I'm not a collector so much as an aficionado.

My motivation is to experience and not a collector either. The BFH was to experience a non Gillette from the ‘30’s.

Perhaps at some point, you might want to consider a GEM MMOC . They are considered by many as the finest saftey razor ever produced.

My motivation is to experience and not a collector either. The BFH was to experience a non Gillette from the ‘30’s.

Perhaps at some point, you might want to consider a GEM MMOC . They are considered by many as the finest saftey razor ever produced.
Wasn't referring to the Floating Head as mild. The other razor you mentioned, which I've never tried. The Floating Head is most definitely a high flier. Very close shaves. Used it this morning against the Ikon Tech. Came up almost as close, and it's way more comfortable. I imagine a lot of guys would see it as ideal. I'm a bit odd in that I like a lot of blade feel. No doubt that's why the IT is still king of my den.

I have the MMOC. Will be in my den for sure. The Floating Head would be too if I could pick one up at a great price. They go for over $100 on auction sites and I don't see myself paying that much. But perhaps I'll find one in an antique store. Going to run it tomorrow or the next day against the Fendrihan Mark-I because they strike me as similar in a lot of ways. Both are excellent performers in terms of both comfort and close shave.

Excited to try the Le Coq when it arrives. Yet another razor for which I have high hopes. Others which I consider long shots to unseat the Ikon Tech are the Stainless PAA DOC Evo and the Charcoal Goods L3-OC. There are some SEs which probably equal the tech but, with the exception of my GEMs, I'm not really into them. I've got some cheap foreign razors on order that some consider high fliers. A Raspira, a Yaqi Beast and a Matador (agressive head). Still look forward to trying 'em.

Top Bottom