What's new

Looking for Recommendations for DE Safety razors

Take a look at these:

I have the both the Merkur Progress and the Rockwell 6s. I am not a fan of the Progress while some love it. I am a big fan of the Rockwell 6s (I now use a Karve most days). You can get the Rockwell stainless steel razor for less than $100, (less than $80?). Rockwell 6c is also an option for even cheaper.

My son has started getting curious
For my own son who's in college and expressed an interest in non-cartridge shaving, I gave him the Rockwell 6c. Not that you asked, and a Yaqi sagrada familia tuxedo brush. And a round, plastic Glad container. Surpisingly a nice shave bowl.

I have the both the Merkur Progress and the Rockwell 6s. I am not a fan of the Progress while some love it. I am a big fan of the Rockwell 6s (I now use a Karve most days). You can get the Rockwell stainless steel razor for less than $100, (less than $80?). Rockwell 6c is also an option for even cheaper.

For my own son who's in college and expressed an interest in non-cartridge shaving, I gave him the Rockwell 6c. Not that you asked, and a Yaqi sagrada familia tuxedo brush. And a round, plastic Glad container. Surpisingly a nice shave bowl.
I have several bowls, including the Rubbermqaid red screw-on cap version of the Glad bowl - light weight & works great. Someone also mentioned one of those black plastic restaurant salsa bowls - the one on 3 little feet. I found a glass version at the 99¢ Store. Otherwise, I suppose he could steal one from a local Mexican restaurant (used to be a college rite of passage), providing a sufficiently large tip is included:lol1:

The Super Adjustable aka Black Beauty is the best shaving Gillette adjustable, in my opinion. Generally easy to find a good deal on one in excellent condition.

In random order:

Gillette Super Adjustable
Gillette Slim
Merkur Futur
Merkur Progress
Parker Variant

They are available and relatively inexpensive. I have about 9 different adjustable razors. I've never met an adjustable razor that I didn't love.

Thanks everyone for the input and recommendations. I greatly appreciate them. I might pick up a couple of them so we can both try them out and decide which ones we both like. My next thing is to find a good straight razor and have one of those around for the day that they finally stop making the Double Edge blades because we've all aged out of the market........

Another vote for the rockwell, if you want something new. The Variant is a much more aggressive razor; I don't love mine and will sell it off at some point.

I have several bowls, including the Rubbermqaid red screw-on cap version of the Glad bowl - light weight & works great. Someone also mentioned one of those black plastic restaurant salsa bowls - the one on 3 little feet. I found a glass version at the 99¢ Store. Otherwise, I suppose he could steal one from a local Mexican restaurant (used to be a college rite of passage), providing a sufficiently large tip is included:lol1:

Those bowls are plastic versions of a molcajete. :) Molcajete - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molcajete

The Super Adjustable aka Black Beauty is the best shaving Gillette adjustable, in my opinion. Generally easy to find a good deal on one in excellent condition.

I'm wondering what people think about the ease of cleaning the Super Adjustable (and other vintage Gillette razors for that matter). They seem to be made from more individual pieces than a (for instance) Rockwell 6, and there are a lot of nooks and crannies.

I'm wondering what people think about the ease of cleaning the Super Adjustable (and other vintage Gillette razors for that matter). They seem to be made from more individual pieces than a (for instance) Rockwell 6, and there are a lot of nooks and crannies.

It's why I gave up on vintage razors. Really prefer the cleanliness and ease of care of a 3 piece razor.

There are a lot of Vintage 3 piece razors that, just like the 'modern' 3 piece razors, even my cat could clean if he really wanted to. The Twist to Open razors have more parts, but cleaning is simple: either dip into warm water with dishsoap & scrub with a soft toothbrush, or use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner and scrub with a soft tooth brush. Rinse with warm water, shake off excess water & dry with an absorbent cotton towel. Easy Peasy, No?
Any variety of Gillette Tech will be as simple to clean as a Rockwell or other spendy, glitzy 'modern' razor. The vintage Gillettes are proven performers, and will last another lifetime in your hands.

There are a lot of Vintage 3 piece razors that, just like the 'modern' 3 piece razors, even my cat could clean if he really wanted to. The Twist to Open razors have more parts, but cleaning is simple: either dip into warm water with dishsoap & scrub with a soft toothbrush, or use Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner and scrub with a soft tooth brush. Rinse with warm water, shake off excess water & dry with an absorbent cotton towel. Easy Peasy, No?
Any variety of Gillette Tech will be as simple to clean as a Rockwell or other spendy, glitzy 'modern' razor. The vintage Gillettes are proven performers, and will last another lifetime in your hands.

I already have a Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" that I bought new in the late '70s. (Does that make me "vintage" too?) :) I also have another Gillette razor that belonged to my grandfather. It's stashed somewhere in the basement and I'm not exactly sure what model it is. I think it's some sort of non-adjustable TTO though. I'll have to look for it.

I may decide to try a 3-piece of some sort. Either a Tech or maybe one of the inexpensive Razorock ones. I like Razorock's soaps and will likely order from them again in the next year, so I could add on a razor at that point.

The reason I mentioned the Rockwell is that it's adjustable and is thus somewhat like the razor I have. (Which, based on some of the prices I've seen for used ones on Ebay, can be just as "spendy" as a Rockwell.) I don't know that I would buy a Rockwell though, since I already have an adjustable razor.

Thank you for the tip on using Scrubbing Bubbles. I think I'll have to try that.

I already have a Super Adjustable "Black Beauty" that I bought new in the late '70s. (Does that make me "vintage" too?) :) I also have another Gillette razor that belonged to my grandfather. It's stashed somewhere in the basement and I'm not exactly sure what model it is. I think it's some sort of non-adjustable TTO though. I'll have to look for it.

I may decide to try a 3-piece of some sort. Either a Tech or maybe one of the inexpensive Razorock ones. I like Razorock's soaps and will likely order from them again in the next year, so I could add on a razor at that point.

The reason I mentioned the Rockwell is that it's adjustable and is thus somewhat like the razor I have. (Which, based on some of the prices I've seen for used ones on Ebay, can be just as "spendy" as a Rockwell.) I don't know that I would buy a Rockwell though, since I already have an adjustable razor.

Thank you for the tip on using Scrubbing Bubbles. I think I'll have to try that.
Good that you mentioned a cheap RazoRock. I got one a few months ago and was impressed with it enough to order another. The shave is smooth, close and comfortable enough to merit putting the head on another handle. The Teck II model shaves on par with any of my Techs and the quality exceeds the price.
check with these guys - cheap and prompt shipping & delivery:
RazoRock Teck II on 8mm Handle.jpg

Other cheaper Razorock razors that are really good are the Old Type and the German 37 slant. The SLOC is also good, though you can get the head by itself for just $5 and put it on a handle you have already got.

Other cheaper Razorock razors that are really good are the Old Type and the German 37 slant. The SLOC is also good, though you can get the head by itself for just $5 and put it on a handle you have already got.
I got an SLOC and cannot get a close shave with it no matter the technique or brand of blade. I wrote it off as a dud, however, everyone else seems to really like theirs.

I got an SLOC and cannot get a close shave with it no matter the technique or brand of blade. I wrote it off as a dud, however, everyone else seems to really like theirs.
If you got the PAA DOC, I think a lot of people had that problem. I love the RR SLOC for a specialized touch-up pass razor. Had good luck with Feathers, Nacets and Personna Med Preps.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
While we're tossing in our personal favourites...

Above the Tie S2 Stainless OC Slant.

Totally a chance encounter for me, and totally changed my life. Used it this morning with a blade having a few uses on it, and still getting a DFS in two passes with some cleanup on the trouble spots. I like my SEs, too -- but this razor stays out in the Shave Cave; the SEs rotate.

If you're not like me -- and why not, after all? -- I suggest you pick up the S1/S2 combo pack and a handle. I like the Kronos handle: just the right weight and length for me, plus it's got good knurling. I like knurling.

With a fresh Astra SP you'll sit around all day with a silly grin on your face, rubbing, rubbing, rubbing...

O.H.

Top Bottom