What's new

Looking for Fellow Albertans

I have now had the opportunity to test drive my new Assured DE razor.

Before starting I had a good look at it but made no measurements. The handle is shorter than modern razors from Clipper and Rockwell and it has a smaller diameter. It is also noticeably lighter. That said, the handle is about a centimetre longer than a Gillette Ball End Tech and has a bigger radius.

I opened and closed the doors maybe a dozen times and they always operated smoothly. There wasn’t the precision you would expect from a Rockwell T but the movement was certainly adequate. My favourite blade is the Astra so I loaded up and had another good look at the razor. There is nothing wrong with the knurling on the handle; it is more functional than attractive. As I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers, my preference is for deeper knurling but for almost everyone, I think the grip will be just fine.

I laid it across my finger and found the balance point to be just about a centimetre under the head. The chrome plating while not perfect is pretty good. A visual examination revealed no obvious discrepancy in the blade alignment on each side. There is a fair bit of blade exposure but not so much to make the razor in any way dangerous except perhaps to a 14-year-old beginner. Nevertheless, I would advocate the usual caution. The shave was on the aggressive side of medium, but I found the angle without difficulty and I am sure with familiarity I could throw it around my face with no difficulty.

It’s hard to criticise a functioning razor at this price point but the Assured looks and feels cheap. Well, it is at $1.25 so no surprise there. There is no chance this is going to be a family heirloom. My view is that the razor will be treated as a longer-term disposable. It is possibly best suited to occasional use say as something kept in a desk drawer for a clean up at work or in a gym locker for after a workout. I won’t be using it for the leisurely weekend shave when I look for something that feels a little more like a luxury item.

Just to follow up, I have now had the opportunity to try the blades that came with this razor. The pack was marked '5 blades' but mine only had 4 in it. I used a Thomas Clipper razor for an evening cleanup after I shaved about 10 hours earlier. I got through one cheek and my neck with no problem, but then it started to tug so I threw out the blade. I would say the blade is sharp enough, it has just not been treated to give it any durability. Again, when related to price, it is what I expected.

A couple recent finds:

DR Harris at a Winners, soap and cream. I bought the cream. That was a mistake as it was obviously old and dehydrated. I've rehydrated it, but probably should have just loaded like a soap. Better idea would have been purchasing a soap.

Tabac at London Drugs. You have to buy it with the ceramic container, no refill pucks on the shelf. But, they have it in stock.

A couple recent finds:

DR Harris at a Winners, soap and cream. I bought the cream. That was a mistake as it was obviously old and dehydrated. I've rehydrated it, but probably should have just loaded like a soap. Better idea would have been purchasing a soap.

Tabac at London Drugs. You have to buy it with the ceramic container, no refill pucks on the shelf. But, they have it in stock.
kool, also in londonderry mall at the store "The Seven Eighty" has 5 sets of Krave razor gift sets for $195.00, includes a brush and lather bowl. Plus they also carry like gramdpa products but I think its mostly beard products.

Nice, if you like strong scents try "Henri et Victoria" their "Cognac and Cuban Cigars" smells just like it say, my favorite soap, another is "Chestnut L’Orange" smells like chestnut with a hint of orange, the thrid one I really like is "La Poire Francaise" smells like a spicy french pair, goes great with Old Spice aftershave.

I second that opinion on the Henri et Victoria "Cognac and Cuban Cigars"...love that scent. Are the other 2 made by them as well>?

A couple recent finds:

How are these places for prices? I bought Tabac about 3-4 years ago, and like it. A year or so ago was browsing and was shocked to see how much the price had gone up

How are these places for prices? I bought Tabac about 3-4 years ago, and like it. A year or so ago was browsing and was shocked to see how much the price had gone up

The DR Harris was ~60% of normal retail....but, pretty old stock, as noted.

Tabac was $33, I think. That's more or less what the online stores charge, but I can get it locally whenever. But, I'm in the "don't love the scent" camp, so I doubt I ever would.

The DR Harris was ~60% of normal retail....but, pretty old stock, as noted.

Tabac was $33, I think. That's more or less what the online stores charge, but I can get it locally whenever. But, I'm in the "don't love the scent" camp, so I doubt I ever would.
Thanks for the heads up....

Proraso has made it to Winners...or, at least one. I saw green preshave and soap and white and blue cream. I'm on the purchase sabbatical, but was tempted by the blue tube since I've never seen one in the wild. Prices were good, but about the same as the Italian grocer on the green.

I buy soaps and creams from italian barber as theyre cheap and usually pretty good for me. I have lots of stuff I can part with soap, vintage razors and new brushes if theres anyone in the Edmonton area wanting to contact me. Lots of blades as well from buying and buying and buying during italian barber sales.

I am also in Alberta... I do most of my shopping from Carmine at Top of the Chain, great selection of artisans. Fendrihan is good for the bigger brand names.

If anybody around Edmonton area is interested in some free Arko, I have way too much. I make it into town fairly regularly on the weekends, send me a PM. Unfortunately I found the cost is absurd to try to ship it out.

Anyone in the Edmonton and surrounding areas what to meet up Sunday, September 1, 2019, at Brewster's downtown in Oliver Square around 1pm

Less than a week left to go until 2019 Edmonton summer meet up. I got enough conformations that its a go. Don't be the last one to confirm. So Far I got 4 confirmed and 8 interested

One sleep left to the Edmonton meet-up. Remember to bring any wet shaving item you want to show off, or any items you want to trade. Still only have 4 conformations with another 9 others intrested. Brewster at 1 pm

If your planning on coming to the 2019 Edmonton wet shavers meetup look for this sign
CWS SCENT 2.0 SASK.jpg

Brewster's downtown Oliver Square @ 1 pm Sunday, September 1, 2019

Top Bottom