What's new

Looking for Fellow Albertans

Heads up on inexpensive supplies at AB bricks and mortar stores... Winners stores near my office have had Van der Levitt soap (basically Fine in a different packaging and smaller puck) for $4, Rocky Mountain Barber ASB/Sandalwood for $10, and Rockwell barbershop shave cream for ~$10. Price/performance is pretty stellar at those rates.
Kool I'll have to check out my local store to see if it is the same. Thanks for the heads up. About Rocky Mountain Barber supplies sandalwood shave soap and aftershave the scent weakens over time. I loved the scent on my face but now I can't smell the scent after shaving. Their preshave oil is still going strong.

About Rocky Mountain Barber supplies sandalwood shave soap and aftershave the scent weakens over time. I loved the scent on my face but now I can't smell the scent after shaving.

Hmm, the scent from the bottle of ASB I picked up seems normal. Did you mean it weakens in the container or when you use it? They had two bottles in the store with different caps. I choose the one resembling the website picture assuming it was fresher than the other. Anyway, I was mainly interested in the (presumably) good ingredient list with a reasonable scent.

I forgot to mention that they also had the RMB shave cream, but it has menthol in the ingredients which I do not like. Otherwise, the ingredients look good.

Hmm, the scent from the bottle of ASB I picked up seems normal. Did you mean it weakens in the container or when you use it? They had two bottles in the store with different caps. I choose the one resembling the website picture assuming it was fresher than the other. Anyway, I was mainly interested in the (presumably) good ingredient list with a reasonable scent.

I forgot to mention that they also had the RMB shave cream, but it has menthol in the ingredients which I do not like. Otherwise, the ingredients look good.
From my experience it weakens in the container. When I first gotten the soap and AF I could smell the scent for a few hours after applying them. Now after applying them I can bearly smell it if at all.

Dollartree at the South Park shopping centre on Gateway has the Assured Razor & 5 blades for $1.25. I haven't had a chance to use them yet, so no thoughts on the usability, but I think its worth a gamble.

I haven't tried the Assured razor yet, but I have added to my rotation. I expect to get to it in 6 to 8 weeks. I have seen a few reviews that say it is really aggressive. My preference is for razors on the mild side of medium so I am probably the wrong person to give a balanced review.

I haven't tried the Assured razor yet, but I have added to my rotation. I expect to get to it in 6 to 8 weeks. I have seen a few reviews that say it is really aggressive. My preference is for razors on the mild side of medium so I am probably the wrong person to give a balanced review.
I bought the shick krona for my collection but also from the reviews lots of ppl said it was really mild. I found it to be very aggressive. Only used it twice now it sits on my shelf. Hopefully the razor you got will not live up to the reviews and you enjoy the razor. I'm looking forward to your review.

I have now had the opportunity to test drive my new Assured DE razor.

Before starting I had a good look at it but made no measurements. The handle is shorter than modern razors from Clipper and Rockwell and it has a smaller diameter. It is also noticeably lighter. That said, the handle is about a centimetre longer than a Gillette Ball End Tech and has a bigger radius.

I opened and closed the doors maybe a dozen times and they always operated smoothly. There wasn’t the precision you would expect from a Rockwell T but the movement was certainly adequate. My favourite blade is the Astra so I loaded up and had another good look at the razor. There is nothing wrong with the knurling on the handle; it is more functional than attractive. As I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers, my preference is for deeper knurling but for almost everyone, I think the grip will be just fine.

I laid it across my finger and found the balance point to be just about a centimetre under the head. The chrome plating while not perfect is pretty good. A visual examination revealed no obvious discrepancy in the blade alignment on each side. There is a fair bit of blade exposure but not so much to make the razor in any way dangerous except perhaps to a 14-year-old beginner. Nevertheless, I would advocate the usual caution. The shave was on the aggressive side of medium, but I found the angle without difficulty and I am sure with familiarity I could throw it around my face with no difficulty.

It’s hard to criticise a functioning razor at this price point but the Assured looks and feels cheap. Well, it is at $1.25 so no surprise there. There is no chance this is going to be a family heirloom. My view is that the razor will be treated as a longer-term disposable. It is possibly best suited to occasional use say as something kept in a desk drawer for a clean up at work or in a gym locker for after a workout. I won’t be using it for the leisurely weekend shave when I look for something that feels a little more like a luxury item.

I have now had the opportunity to test drive my new Assured DE razor.

Before starting I had a good look at it but made no measurements. The handle is shorter than modern razors from Clipper and Rockwell and it has a smaller diameter. It is also noticeably lighter. That said, the handle is about a centimetre longer than a Gillette Ball End Tech and has a bigger radius.

I opened and closed the doors maybe a dozen times and they always operated smoothly. There wasn’t the precision you would expect from a Rockwell T but the movement was certainly adequate. My favourite blade is the Astra so I loaded up and had another good look at the razor. There is nothing wrong with the knurling on the handle; it is more functional than attractive. As I have a touch of arthritis in my fingers, my preference is for deeper knurling but for almost everyone, I think the grip will be just fine.

I laid it across my finger and found the balance point to be just about a centimetre under the head. The chrome plating while not perfect is pretty good. A visual examination revealed no obvious discrepancy in the blade alignment on each side. There is a fair bit of blade exposure but not so much to make the razor in any way dangerous except perhaps to a 14-year-old beginner. Nevertheless, I would advocate the usual caution. The shave was on the aggressive side of medium, but I found the angle without difficulty and I am sure with familiarity I could throw it around my face with no difficulty.

It’s hard to criticise a functioning razor at this price point but the Assured looks and feels cheap. Well, it is at $1.25 so no surprise there. There is no chance this is going to be a family heirloom. My view is that the razor will be treated as a longer-term disposable. It is possibly best suited to occasional use say as something kept in a desk drawer for a clean up at work or in a gym locker for after a workout. I won’t be using it for the leisurely weekend shave when I look for something that feels a little more like a luxury item.
Nice, thanks for the review, I saw a review on youtube that gave a similar review for a similar type of razor. I think it was Rick Shaves. He said it shaved as well as could be expected for stamped parts and the price range.

What's everyone up to? For me, I have come to the conclusion that Wolf Whiskers shave brushes are overrated. The hassle it takes to get on the list and then finally got to the ordering process if you're going outside of his preselected handle patterns and color schemes it becomes a big pain. I ended up having to choose one of the preselected color schemes. I have dealt with other custom brush makes and had MUCH easier experiences in getting a brush made.
Sorry to hear that! You seemed really excited to get yours.
I’ve acquired a pretty decent brush collection definitely more than I’ll ever need.

Sorry to hear that! You seemed really excited to get yours.
I’ve acquired a pretty decent brush collection definitely more than I’ll ever need.
I haven't received the brush yet, but the experience let me wondering why there is so much hype over wolf whiskers. It's not all Peter Wolf's fault; it was more so that I had built a mystical brush in my head that Peter wolf to live up to. That being said it was still a lot easier to deal with Bob @ elite razor, Leo Firlot @ Perfect Woodworks and Milton @ turn & shave. The main part that knocked me off the Wolf Whisker bandwagon was Peter had said something to me which I hope was not how it came off but it came off insulting. Good thing there are some many other great brush makers without a waitlist.

Well here is the Wolf Whisker handle just came today, what do you think?
20181102_190317.jpg
20181102_190424.jpg
20181102_190432.jpg
20181102_190437.jpg
20181102_190444.jpg

I have two possible knots for this handle, cashmere or a High Mountain Badger both 24mm, What are your thoughts?

20181102_185248.jpg
20181102_185305.jpg

It's slowly growing on me to try this one more time maybe, lowering my lofty expectations and chose something from his list I'm certain he can do well, single colors or this trademark multi-banded handles.

Last edited:
Anyone interested in getting together in December if you manage to be in Edmonton on one of the following days: 14th (Fri), 16th-21st (Sun-Fri) or 23rd (Sun)? I am available any of these days?

I’d be interested not available on the 15th until later on the 16th. I’m off for 3 weeks around Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well here is the Wolf Whisker handle just came today, what do you think?
View attachment 925057 View attachment 925058 View attachment 925059 View attachment 925060 View attachment 925061
I have two possible knots for this handle, cashmere or a High Mountain Badger both 24mm, What are your thoughts?

View attachment 925062 View attachment 925063
It's slowly growing on me to try this one more time maybe, lowering my lofty expectations and chose something from his list I'm certain he can do well, single colors or this trademark multi-banded handles.
I think your handle is beautiful I would also put the Badger in.

I asked Milton from Turn & Shave to have a try at the same colors I had wolf whiskers did. I got a picture of the blanks the other day. The handle design is not the same as I won't ask another artisan use another artisans handle designs. I have big hopes for this one, have a look.
icm_fullxfull.177305188_543vc9dme38c4kww0ocw.jpg
icm_fullxfull.181542639_mmdy9qcpl6skoocc80s8.jpg

The theme with both brushes was this handle from lowborn supply that I missed out on.
Screenshot_20181006-222224_Instagram.jpg

Wolf's attempt as previously seen, the brush is slowly growing on me, but it does miss the marks, but I do Love the white band is the redeeming feature along with the fluting. It is enough for me to try again, this nest time will be his trademark multi-layered handles.
20181102_190432.jpg

I did manage to pick this handle up today from Lowborn, has great graning
il_570xN.1678609572_l6h3.jpg

I think Lowborn has some of the best pours out there, he doesn't do custom work, but his work is top notch. Milton's brush has great potential and can't wait to see the turned handle, will post pictures when I see it.

Last edited:
For the Edmonton and area wet shavers meet-up Tuesday December 18th @ Brewsters (Oliver Square) between 6 to 10pm. 11620 104 Ave NW, Edmonton, AB T5K 2T7. Also if anyone is in Edmonton that day feel free to stop by.

Top Bottom