What's new

Looking For Descriptions Of Authentic 1950's Shaving Techniques From Those Who Did It. Gents Over 80, I am Asking You!

I didn't start until the late 60s, but I can definitely state that in the 50s my dad applied lather generously from an aerosol can only once at the start of the shave. After washing his face, of course. He used Gillette adjustables and Gillette blades from a dispenser. I remember both a Slim and then a Super Adjustable, stored in their flip top plastic cases. He kept up to date.

He didn't obsess about shaving but as a salesman he was trying for a closely shaven face. He did not limit himself to a strokes in a single direction. There was a styptic pencil close at hand but seldom used (I still have it). And aftershave, but no cologne.

The man of the 50s was exposed to a lot of shaving advertising. TV, magazines, newspapers. And shaving scenes in TV shows and movies. My dad did not formally introduce me (oldest son) to shaving. Or ever talk about it, really. With one small bathroom we guys all shared in the morning, I got to see a lot of shaving. I think he felt it would be easy enough for me to choose the gear I liked and pick up the technique.

I can tell you a little about my grandfather. He was a retired minister and quite particular about his appearance. He still had a straight razor and leather strop, but didn't use them anymore. He had switched over to Schick injectors at some point before I was born. His last Schick was an adjustable model with the dial.

His shaving soap and aftershave were standard items from the drugstore. He also had a fancy bottle of aftershave he only used on special occasions. He had an old and worn boar brush and a coffee mug. I think he did two passes.

Even though he was balding, he would go to the barber shop most every week for a "trim". Maybe getting a haircut was just an excuse to get out of the house and go downtown. It gave him a chance to chat with people, which he enjoyed quite a lot.

I can recall my dad’s routine in the early 70’s. A Slim (I think), can of Foamy, Wilkinson Sword blade, and pieces of toilet paper for any nicks. Mennon Afta to finish although there may have been some alcohol based stuff at some point. One pass done quickly and efficiently. As soon as he bought an electric razor, that was the end of the kit we may covet.

My dad, who would have been 93 had he lived, rarely used a DE when I was around. His instrument was a Norelco electric razor. However he did give me rudimentary instructions, as did my brothers, on how to use our shared razors. It was always a single pass. I never double passed until I started head shaving and then only because I wanted a smooth dome and it's impossible with a single pass. Then I found Badger and Blade and oh boy, did all that get out of hand!

Here are the instructions to which I think you refer and I have always interpreted them as suggesting a single pass shave, either with, or against, or across the grain. It is also possible it is intended to describe a single pass with a combination of with/against/across strokes to suit the beard growth in the particular area being shaved. I do not interpret it as describing three or more passes, certainly not with relathering between passes.

Does anyone actually remember three or four separate relathered passes being commonplace in the 1950s? I suspect not but I could be wrong.

View attachment 1494085
"Save them in the 'dull-blade' box until you have an opportunity to burn them."

My dad, who would have been 93 had he lived, rarely used a DE when I was around. His instrument was a Norelco electric razor. However he did give me rudimentary instructions, as did my brothers, on how to use our shared razors. It was always a single pass. I never double passed until I started head shaving and then only because I wanted a smooth dome and it's impossible with a single pass. Then I found Badger and Blade and oh boy, did all that get out of hand!

Same here. My dad used a Norelco rotary for all of my adult life.

Other than that, the only memory I have from my childhood regarding razors happened when I was very young, probably like 4 years old. I climbed up onto the bathroom vanity to access the cabinet on the adjacent wall, and found a pack of what I now believe to be injector blades. As I gleefully, and repeatedly pushed the slider on the pack, my fingers began to bleed. Of course I had no idea what was happening, probably started to cry, and mommy came to my rescue.

I'm sure the cuts were minor, as I have no memory of going to a doctor for stitches or or any other treatment, so it ended well.

All to say: Evidence suggests that dad used an injector at some point prior to falling in love with his Norelco.

Never got any shaving advice from my father or grandfather but I wish I had. My grandfather
emigrated from Ireland in the 1920's (100 years ago I just realized). He had various jobs including
being a dockworker and a sparring partner until he saved enough to buy a Mobil station in West Orange, NJ.
My mother's first impression of him was this. Despite working in a service station for forty years, changing oil
and checking plugs and points, my mother said he never had a spot of dirt under his fingernails. My impression
was that he was always clean-shaven. My father and uncle sported moustache's from time to time but the
their faces also were always butter smooth. i wish I could have asked them about shaving but they probably
would have shrugged their shoulders and said "It's just my morning routine."

In the early '60s, I remember my Grandpa (born in 1897) shaving with his straight razor and some pretty thin suds from whatever the bar soap was at the bathroom sink. He did have an old worn what was probably a boar brush. I assume that's what he always did. It was one pass as I recall.

My Dad used a Schick injector in the early '60s and I'm pretty sure it was one pass with some touch-ups. He later switched to a Schick electric razor sometime in the mid-'60s and used electric razors for the rest of his life.

He and my Mom gave me a Schick electric for my 16th birthday. I never cared for it. I used a Schick injector for a short time until I learned of the new Gillette Track II which I stayed with for years.

That's the line that struck me. I have a wood stove, and didnt know the blades would burn. I'll find out come this winter.
Hi,

Blue steel blades will burn up in a wood stove. Stainless steel will not, as there is insufficient heat.

And, I shave as my Dad taught me. One pass. That's all. I did mess with multi pass shortly after showing up here. Not worth the extra time. But, I did figure out my grain and so my one pass is ATG now.

He'd be 99 this year and he used both a SuperSpeed and, more often, a post-war Tech. I still have them both. And his old brush. And the mug of Old Spice soap he was still using when he passed in 1995. I use them once in a while still.

Stan

My father, a farmer, never taught me to shave, but I do remember as a small child watching him shave. He used a Schick Injector, what ever was issued in the Army right after WWII, a boar brush and MWF puck in a shaving mug. He only did two passes as I recall, WTG and ATG and maybe some touch ups. Dad despised shaving and only did it after Mom nagged him or there was an event to attend such as a holiday family dinner or funeral. I would call Dad a minimalist as he used that same set up until he passed in 1989. Occasionally he would use a can of Barbasol Shave Cream in later years.

My Ole Da would have been 95 now, I was born in 67 and only ever saw him use his Slim (of which I have now, along with a few more).
He had his own business and owned several quarries and went to lots of meetings as he was a joint director of a larger firm.

Therefore he shaved every day but it was just a case of with the grain with whatever soap the family used that was in the sink, Wilkinson blades, no aftershave, brill cream applied and off.....

Hi,

Blue steel blades will burn up in a wood stove. Stainless steel will not, as there is insufficient heat.

And, I shave as my Dad taught me. One pass. That's all. I did mess with multi pass shortly after showing up here. Not worth the extra time. But, I did figure out my grain and so my one pass is ATG now.

He'd be 99 this year and he used both a SuperSpeed and, more often, a post-war Tech. I still have them both. And his old brush. And the mug of Old Spice soap he was still using when he passed in 1995. I use them once in a while still.

Stan

That's something I hadn't thought about. Burning the blades was recommended back when the blades were made from carbon steel. Very good point.

My Dad was born in 1916 and I got my earthsuit in '61. As a youngster around 5 or 6 I can remember him lathering in a small mug and then shaving with a Red Tip and later a Slim Adjustable: 2 passes and some touch up. I also remember green aftershave, pretty sure it was Mennen Skin Bracer. He worked Mon-Friday, shaved every day but Saturday and milked his blades out (Spoilers and whatnot) a long time. He used that same Gillette Slim until he passed in '97. If he were still alive and saw all my razors, brushes, etc... I'm not sure if he would smile with pride or laugh his butt off. Perhaps both.

I didn't start shaving until the mid-60's so am a bit younger than the OP asked about. I think my dad shaved with a safety razor and, mostly, canned cream. I couldn't tell you if I started with a blade or electric but I think the latter. I have recollections of trying many things but mostly settled on a safety razor, Williams or Old Spice soaps, and some sort of cheap brush from the local drug store. I often followed with Old Spice or whatever the current fad was for aftershave splashes. I still will use a Norelco when I'm lazy or sometimes to hit a missed spot later. I just do a little more after shave routine due to older skin. And, like many, have too much stuff compared to how we did it as kids back in the day. I'm sure my granddad and dad would chuckle.

Top Bottom