What's new

Looking For Descriptions Of Authentic 1950's Shaving Techniques From Those Who Did It. Gents Over 80, I am Asking You!

Here are some interviews with 'men on the street' from three periods:

I like looking at faces from the past. The interviews are certainly not about shaving, but a viewer can possibly discern the shave quality of individuals.

Wonderful time capsules, and a reminder of how 'like us' they were.

Any thoughts on the apparent shave these Gents had given themselves, those mornings long ago?

Guesses as to what they used, etc?

Have fun watching.

My dad didn't know much about shaving. When I came of age he tossed me a Gilette super speed and a roll of toilet paper and basically 'goid luck'. Didn't explain why it had nine adjustments, or multiple passes or anything. I asked for a Norelco for Christmas when I was 16. Only went back to wetshsving about six years ago.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
My dad didn't know much about shaving. When I came of age he tossed me a Gilette super speed and a roll of toilet paper and basically 'goid luck'. Didn't explain why it had nine adjustments, or multiple passes or anything. I asked for a Norelco for Christmas when I was 16. Only went back to wetshsving about six years ago.
Some fellows where just not good teachers of good shaving practices or even good habits to use. But with the internet shaving can be taught much easier IMO.

My father, a farmer, never taught me to shave, but I do remember as a small child watching him shave. He used a Schick Injector, what ever was issued in the Army right after WWII, a boar brush and MWF puck in a shaving mug.

Do you recall the years when your father was using MWF shaving soap?

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My Dad is probably rolling over in his grave... knowing what I've "invested" in shaving gear since the middle of February this year. I'm a bit shocked myself... but I sure am having fun. I know some still view shaving as a necessary evil. It used to be just a chore for me... something you did to be socially acceptable. Even when I've had a beard, I trimmed the upper part in a nice straight line and kept myself from having a "neck beard", but now, I just love the whole routine of shaving, from start to finish. When my face is smooth and the bathroom is spotless, it gives me a feeling of satisfaction.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Judging from examples of user instructions I've seen for various razors and times the switch from going to the barbershop once a week to shaving oneself was pretty uneven and took a while to play out in the market. (Which probably qualifies me as a Master of the Obvious...)

What I mean is that we have 1908 Gillette instructions that show multi-pass shaving, while I also have in my possession the instructions from about 1905 for the Gem Jr. Bar that advise only one pass WTG. As far as I can tell, professional barbers in those days would have shaved multiple passes because after all, who's gonna pay to walk out with half the whiskers they brought in? Shaving oneself would have been just keeping the weeds down until Saturday.

I imagine my grand-dad used an SR in the late 1800's and into the early 1900's. My dad came along in 1915 (youngest kid) and so it would have been about 1929 before he was ready for shaving. Farm country, Depression, Dad was also in the CCC; I would guess he used a Gillette of some kind left over from WW1. (When he enlisted in the Army in 1937 his job was driving a horse-drawn ambulance left over from WW1, so there was lots of old kit floating around in those days.)

Shaving was not something he thought of as fodder for stories, so all that is speculation. Pictures of he and my grandfather show a clean-shaved face, so shaving happened. After the war at some point he went electric and never looked back.

O.H.

A Classic Wet Shaver’s Tale

As I enter my eightieth year, allow me to reflect on my wet shaving journey. I started shaving at 17 years of age with a safety razor and no doubt some shaving foam in 1959. Sadly, in the late sixties Gillette came to realize that the only defect the safety razor had was that it lasted a lifetime and was then passed on to a grandson. That they proceeded to correct to our detriment. As time went by, I fell victim to the claims made by them and fell into the world of 2,3,4 and 5 blades. I stopped at three.

In 1976, on a trip to London I bought two badger brushes that I used with Nivea Shaving cream exclusively until 2010, when my brushes finally died after 35 years. In my search for new brushes, I came across the world of Badger & Blade and The Italian Barber. The first thing that happened was that I was reintroduced to the safety razor, and to this date have not forgiven myself for having abandoned it. So many lost years. Needless to say, my world was greatly expanded.

Over the next couple of years, in terms of hardware I accumulated five razors and 20 brushes.

With regard to brushes, I have tried badger, boar, horse and synthetic. I have enjoyed them all. Each has its pros and cons, and its own face feel. I have had Omega, Zenith, Muhle, Vie Long, E. Jagger and Yaqi brushes. Today, I have reduced my number of brushes to nine. Three Zenith badgers, three Yaqi synthetics, and three Yaqui badgers. I should point out that my six Yaqis together cost me less than one Zenith. I shave six days a week and like to start with a dry brush, hence a rotation of three. I switch from badger to synthetic to badger every four months.

I have used and enjoyed razors made by E. Jagger, Muhle, Parker, Rockwell and Weber. All great razors. I have reduced my use to the Weber and occasionally the Muhle. The only blade I use is the Feather.

With regard to soaps, as mentioned above, for years I only used Nivea Cream and was totally ignorant of the vast world of soaps. As of 2010, I started using mostly croaps such as Vitos and Cella. Over the last four years I have used Murphy and McNeil soaps. My next purchase will be Stirling, probably Barber Shop and Bay Rum. I should point out that I never have more than two soaps.

Today’s wet shaver is totally different from the shaver in the 40’s and 50’s. Back then shaving was seen as a necessary evil. He usually had one razor, one brush, and one soap, and hated this daily chore. Today as men enter the world of classic wet shaving, they come to realize that it is a complete joy. The availability of hardware and software is almost limitless. So much so that now it is more of a hobby than a necessity. Basically, that means that there is no limit to the number of razors, brushes, soaps and blades one will have. For the suppliers of these goods, it means an almost never-ending market. Given the hobby side of the activity it must be very difficult to determine how many wet shavers there are.

It is said that classic wet shaving is a niche market that is not very large. I am convinced that it will continue to grow and become important as men become aware of its advantages over disposable razors.

One of the suppliers that has best understood this phenomenon is Yaqi Brush Co. They produce quality and affordable products that meet the needs of your average buyer, inducing him to acquire more. Their sales and promotions are very innovative. My impression is that they have been very instrumental in the overall growth of this market. I would love to know how many brushes they make a year between their own and for third parties.

With regard to soaps, I get the feeling that Stirling Soap Company also has a clear understanding of the market. They have turned it into a very exiting option for wet shaving enthusiasts.

I consider myself a passionate classic wet shaver without being a hobbyist. My hardware offers a level of variety and I use all of it. I’m even stricter with my software, one soap maker and one blade maker.

I close by saying that I get up every morning looking forward to my daily shave. The only reason I don’t shave seven days a week is because I really enjoy Monday’s shave with a two-day growth. Best to all.

My dad is 78. He's always had a tough beard and hated shaving, to the point that he's worn a beard for about the past 50 years. When he did shave, he usually did 3 passes if he had time. Or, if he had a date, he'd shave 2 passes in the morning and then shave again before going out. He usually could only get one shave out of a blade, subpar blades he would toss halfway through the shave. His only advice to me when I started was "if you don't finish against the grain, you're wasting your time. Good luck."

When I went in Marine Corp following H/S we were issued a Gillette Slim, Blue Blades. That we paid for out of our of $78.00/month.

We shaved daily without instruction, and blood flowed.

Remember one recruit who was shaving whiz, he latched up, shave light lighting, until a DI realized he used no blade.

That change, and recruit cut himself up he went to hospital from being all cut up.

When I went in Marine Corp following H/S we were issued a Gillette Slim, Blue Blades. That we paid for out of our of $78.00/month.

We shaved daily without instruction, and blood flowed.

Remember one recruit who was shaving whiz, he latched up, shave light lighting, until a DI realized he used no blade.

That change, and recruit cut himself up he went to hospital from being all cut up.
You got issued a Slim? That's new info there.

Great insight Sir. Maybe you should think of going over to Active Duty / Veteran Sign Up - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/active-duty-veteran-sign-up.632186/

It's good that Vets are recognised on B&B and the community I'm sure would like to honour your service.

Regards from London England.

Last edited:
We that are older might appreciate some social media, Fourms, and U-Tubes more then young generation that grew up using those tool.

We did not grow up dependent on a electronic device, hand held calculator or computer, we just use in many cause learn by doing, and if blood was shed it was part of learning process.

Parents in our generation were know to thrown child into pool of water, and yell use arms, and kick now your swimming. We did n to have seat belt in cars, helmet to wear if bicycling, and as a boy in grade school, almost every boy had a pocket knife owe took to school and everywhere else.

Different time.

I thought of this old thread last night when I was reading Zooey by J.D. Salinger. It's set and written in the mid-1950s and includes an extra-long passage where the titular character is shaving, along with a detailed description of what's in the medicine cabinet, including two Gillettes and one Shick Injector. It describes his lathering method (tube lather applied directly to the brush, then face lathered) and number of passes (one, plus a second pass for touch-ups) and several details about the razor, although none is diagnostic. But real fun to read, and the level of detail that can either put you right there in the story or pull you out of it, depending on how obsessed with shaving you are.
I think the passage starts somewhere around page 100 in the Franny and Zooey book and continues for many pages. It's definitely worth a read, unless you've quit smoking recently--there's so much smoking in this book that my lungs hurt reading it.

In 1985, my grandfather still had a Gillette Slim in his bathroom that he used with canned foam because I was stupid enough to pick it up and attempt to shave with it that year. The first time I used Pinaud Clubman I realized that was the scent I could smell in his bathroom when I visited. He was born in 1917.

I wish I knew what happened to that Slim.

When I started exploring DE razors, I offered my father to get him one, but he categorically refused. I offered to lend him one, again zero interest. In fact, had I gotten him one I think he would have been mad.

He said the problem with DE razors at the time was the inconsistency of blades. Sometimes one got excellent blades, sometimes they were just awful, and often both were found together in same tuck. They were Canadian made blades, so I don’t know if the same issue was present in other countries.

He adopted cartridge razors as soon as they appeared and never looked back.

He shaved daily and coming from a large family with only one bathroom, never indulged in a 1/2 hour shaving routine.

Although I never convinced him to retry a DE, he did really like the brushes, creams, soaps and aftershaves I got him. I miss him a lot.

When I started exploring DE razors, I offered my father to get him one, but he categorically refused. I offered to lend him one, again zero interest. In fact, had I gotten him one I think he would have been mad.

He said the problem with DE razors at the time was the inconsistency of blades. Sometimes one got excellent blades, sometimes they were just awful, and often both were found together in same tuck. They were Canadian made blades, so I don’t know if the same issue was present in other countries.

He adopted cartridge razors as soon as they appeared and never looked back.

He shaved daily and coming from a large family with only one bathroom, never indulged in a 1/2 hour shaving routine.

Although I never convinced him to retry a DE, he did really like the brushes, creams, soaps and aftershaves I got him. I miss him a lot.
Suspect he may have been thinking of the carbon steel blades that may have been common then. Much more susceptible to corrosion - especially after the first use that would remove much of the protective coatings. Stainless blades from most of the major manufacturers are much more consistent.

Suspect he may have been thinking of the carbon steel blades that may have been common then. Much more susceptible to corrosion - especially after the first use that would remove much of the protective coatings. Stainless blades from most of the major manufacturers are much more consistent.

You’re probably right. Googling reveals first stainless DE blades hit the market in 1962 and the first carts in 1972. Didn’t say how more expensive the SS blades were vs the carbons, nor did it say how quickly they came to dominate the market, but they probably both remained available simultaneously for a few years at least.

Even though I’m a young whipper snapper my father is 72 and my grandfather (dads side) if still alive would be 108. I have talked many times to my father about how he shaved when young and how my grandfather shaved, dad never really used a safety razor, he started out on an electric and used that until BICs became popular and he used that with canned foam, still does to this day (old habits die hard). His father used a straight razor when dad was a kid with some kind of soap, dad can’t remember what it was because he was to little to pay attention, in an old cup and of course a brush. He did 2 passes WTG and ATG and the reason I know this is when I was learning to shave my dad taught this to me because he said that’s how his dad did it and how he does it. My grandfather switched to an electric sometime in the 60s. Not sure how my grandfather shaved on my mothers side, he died before I was born and wasn’t a large part of my mothers life but her maternal grandfather whose Tech I have she remembers shaving every day by wetting his face in a pan on the stove and lathering up with a bar of homemade “lye” soap and just shaving, this would have been in the 60s and I can’t imagine him doing it any different than before that as the razor dates to before Gillette date codes and he was a very very frugal (I’m being nice by saying it that way) man.

Top Bottom