What's new

Looking for a reasonable automatic (maybe)

I have several watches right now (Timex, Skagen, Bertucci) but would like something a little dressier. I'm thinking something in stainless (black or blue accents OK), I guess in the general style of a Submariner. Possibly mechanical over quartz. Budget maybe under 200 bucks unless this is a bad idea. Some questions, because I have no idea about what I'm jumping into here.

1. How are Seikos, particularly the 5 series? I've seen a number I think might meet my criteria. Some even 100 bucks. That price makes me a tad nervous.

2. What else should I be looking at?

3. For a non daily wear, Is an automatic a bad idea?

4. Where to buy? Amazon has some good deals, but some are through 3rd parties selling on Amazon, and these don't mention warranty. Would like to avoid gray market as well as fakes. Who might be a legit seller that is reasonable.

Thanks in advance...

IMHO the Seiko 5's are a good deal at that price point. But, I don't get everything good needs to be an automatic. I think the Citizen Eco-Drives or the Seiko Kinetic or even some of the Timex watches are a better watch then the lower end auto's. Particularly if the auto is not worn daily as you are always setting the date and time. of course YMMV

OH, I buy almost everything I can through Amazon.. I have never had a problem with anything.

Last edited:
I just got an Orient 2ER (a Submariner tribute) from Amazon via Long Island Watch (a 3rd party) with no problems. LIW is an authorized Orient distributor according to the Orient USA website.

Anyway, I think at this price, it's an awesome watch. Fit and finish are very good and for an automatic I think gaining 10-15 sec per day is pretty good. Don't take my word alone for it though - check some other reviews online and see what you think.

-------T_M

Seiko, Orient and Invicta all make good watches that meet your criteria. IMO the Orient Mako (Mako 2 if you prefer a larger case size - I have this in orange and it's great!), is a nice piece for the money!

For an automatic at this price, Japanese is the way to go. I don't own any Seiko 5's, but do have a SKX007, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend the 5's. Nothing wrong with Orient either. I have a Blue Mako on my wrist as I type this. For something dressy I think the Blue Mako is a bit nicer than the 2ER, as the blue dial is amazing. Having said that, divers are not really a dress watch, although they can work with almost any outfit.
I ordered my Mako from discountwatchstore.com. I bought my Seiko used, so others will have to chime in with suggested Seiko dealers.

I went with the 2ER because I really like the minimalist sub-like watch face, but it would be nice if it had the beefier bracelet from the Mako.

---------T_M

Also, one thing with the Invictas that turned me off was that on most of their dive watches they engrave "INVICTA" in 3/16" high letters on the side of the case opposite the crown. You can't see that in most of their product photos and I really thought it looked tacky. I would never have ordered the watch if I had seen it in any of the online photos I looked at. It went right back to Amazon.

-------T_M

ps...related to my last post - the bracelet on the 2ER is a little thin, but it's good. It's just that the one on the Mako is better.

Thanks all for the advice! I'm sort of leaning towards the Orient Mako at this point, but still undecided. A few follow ups to comments

1. I have nothing against quartz, it's just that I've never had an automatic and I thought this might be a nice two birds with one stone kind of moment.

2. I guess It is divers I am interested in, and I was thinking that compared to the field watches I mostly wear (and have pretty much always owned), they would be dressier. But do they work with a suit (I tend to wear suits for work, though it is by no means required). What style ought I be looking at for dressier?

thanks, this has been a huge help already.

I've got a couple Sekio 5, Orients and several other automatic watches. The divers are traditionally considered more of a 'casual' watch, but whatever...wear what you like.

Bernhardt Watch has some nice/reasonably priced autos. Their Binnacle Anchor meets your $200 criteria.

If you're not opposed to Chinese made, Alpha Watch makes a wide variety of really inexpensive autos. They take 2-3 weeks to get to you, but they're pretty well regarded on some of the watch forums. (I was wearing one today, in fact)

Other names in that range can be found in this thread (I had a similar question :thumbup1:)-
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=200017

The Seiko 5 series tend to be a little smaller watch. They're in the mid to upper 30mm range. Personal preference for me is something above 40mm. The most inexpensive Orients are also in that size range (not the Mako, though). Something to consider.

Post back and let us know what you ended up getting (pics are great). Happy hunting!

2. I guess It is divers I am interested in, and I was thinking that compared to the field watches I mostly wear (and have pretty much always owned), they would be dressier. But do they work with a suit (I tend to wear suits for work, though it is by no means required). What style ought I be looking at for dressier?

This guy says that dive watches can be very dressy:

http://www.omegawatches.com/ambassadors/james-bond

Seriously though, I've seen both Omega and Rolex adds with the suit & dive-watch combo. Does that idea fall down when it's a $200 watch instead of a $6000 watch, or if you're not Daniel Craig? Probably not, as long as you stick with a black or blue face and a stainless or gold bracelet.

---------T_M

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a Seiko 5 in the mail. I can report back when I get it. No idea how it will be and it won't be a long term report as I would just got it!

I've got Vostok that I really like, and I used to own a nice Seiko 5. One thing that drives/drove me CRAZY about them, particularly the Seiko as you can't handwind it, was the date function. I don't have a winder, and the dates are always wrong, and I get obsessive about it despite (prior to buying the watches) convincing myself I wouldn't care about it. My next watch will probably be a Citizen Eco-Tec as a result. Or maybe I should just get a winder. Something to think about, anyway.

As a very general rule of thumb, Seiko will have better lume than Orient (some Orients are better than other, tho'). IMHO, lume is not as important as people make out, so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I find divers are considered dressy these days, particularly if they are on a bracelet (as opposed to a Nato).

While I love my vintage divers, I often find them uncomfortable with most of my shirts. Large diver + tight cuffs does not go.

Personally, I prefer 36mm watches for work. I'm probably just old fashioned, tho'.

I have had my Seiko 5 for 5 years now. It is my daily watch and never had any problems. got it for $75 out of Singapore.
I would recommend them for the price point.

As a very general rule of thumb, Seiko will have better lume than Orient (some Orients are better than other, tho'). IMHO, lume is not as important as people make out, so it shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

I find divers are considered dressy these days, particularly if they are on a bracelet (as opposed to a Nato).

While I love my vintage divers, I often find them uncomfortable with most of my shirts. Large diver + tight cuffs does not go.

Personally, I prefer 36mm watches for work. I'm probably just old fashioned, tho'.

You nailed the biggest issue with the "are divers dressy" argument. I can't find a true diver that allows me to button my shirt comfortably. Nothing at all wrong with the look if you can make it work with your dress shirt in my opinion.

I adore my Seiko 5 Sports. While experiences and watches vary, the one I got is seldom more than a minute off after a week, which is amazing.

The pic link is just the first good one I found in Google Images. I got mine from Amazon Japan.

http://www.tokeiyasan.com/seiko/se684.html

I like.

To the OP, I found this article interesting. Granted, the price range is less than $1k not less than $200 but there's several in that range
http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/T20PMW List Table.htm

Last edited:
Seiko, Orient and Invicta all make good watches that meet your criteria. IMO the Orient Mako (Mako 2 if you prefer a larger case size - I have this in orange and it's great!), is a nice piece for the money!

Absolutely.
I have some Seiko auto's and an Invicta's on the mail. All from the 70's.

I got an orient watch awhile back.it's been keeping pretty good time. I got the watch through their web site. If you go that route be sure to have a coupon code.

Thanks all! I'm leaning either Orient Black Mako or one of the Seiko 5s at this point, although if I could find a Vostock for 25-40 like the list claims, I'd be all over that too.

Top Bottom