What's new

Roku, Amazon Prime TV, fraud, Paypal--watch out!!

I thought I would post this so that someone might be forewarned and thus forearmed against on-line fraud. Why the government cannot do better with this I will never understand. I think these people prey on older people and since I am getting there it worries me.

This may be a little more backstory than necessary. But we bought a new Roku streaming player--even though we do not have a 4k TV I got the ultra version figuring whatever the difference in price it was worth it to make sure we got the best experience with something we use all the time. It replaced a Roku we had had for a long time. It would be nice if logging into Roku it would set up all of the services automatically, but it does not seem to work that way.

So I was setting up our various services. Netflix went utterly smoothly. Next up was Prime, which did not. We did nothing other than follow the instructions that came up on the screen, inputting passwords and the like, and also using a cell phone according to the instructions that came up, and it was not working. At one point, a phone number came up that we were to call Amazon Prime at. I do not even think it was a call if this is not working. I think it said to just to call for the next step. So we got "Frank" who had a Middle Eastern or Indian subcontinent accent, no surprise there. In the course of the conversation, Frank got Prime working--it seemed he had access to the Amazon Prime system to do that.

But then he said that we needed to update Prime membership soon, and Prime was offering two years, usually $139 a year for $199 or three years for $299. Seemed legit--the guy had just fixed our TV service and we had called him from a prompt that came up in the process of setting up Prime on the new Roku. Sounded good to us, so we went for three. Frank sends us an email with a hyperlink named Amazon billing or some such to pay the $299. It gave us a choice of paying via creditcard or Paypal. I was suspicious because wouldn't Amazon have our credit card already, but my wife was the one on the phone. I am really not sure I would have stopped it. She out of an abundance of caution paid with Paypal with the money coming through our creditcard not out of a bank account. After she hit pay, she noticed the money was sent to some weird individuals name and questioned the guy about it, who explained that it was the name for a seller on Amazon or some BS that this offer was going through. We got an email receipt for the payment that looked rather more legit. Anyway, it did not seem like we could do much with the guy, and for instance were not smart enough to request an immediate refund. Again, the guy seemed to have fixed our Prime service.

But after we got off we immediately contacted Amazon and there is no special three year for $299 Prime membership offer. We contacted our credit card (Chase) and Paypal immediately, putting in claims. Bottom line is that Paypal called back today and says it is going to refund of $299. But this was a lot of aggravation. I am really not sure how trying to set up an existing Prime TV service on a new Roku streamer lead to this, but I am glad we paid with Paypal.

There seems to be some things on the net about this kind of thing, but I did not see that any applied exactly to what happened to us. For instance, I do not think we mistyped the URL for any website.

It is scary out there. I thought of myself as pretty savvy about these things and my wife thought the same of herself.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I’m wondering if someone spoofed a Roku app/channel to look like Prime Video. If they did they would have all the info you input in order to set up Prime service. Then they could remotely set up your Roku using the info you provided making it seem like they fixed it for you.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Scammers perfect their art constantly.
Every time it doesn't work with someone, that's info they use to perfect their craft.
They'll say that they can't accept PayPal or something so the next poor guy doesn't have the option of reversing charges.
All you can do is be vigilant, be suspicious, don't give any consent or info over the phone or in response to an email.
Contact the group you are working with directly through a known secure website.
If it is them, they will have records of it.

I found this on-line:

"If you experience a message like this on your smart TV and simply restarting your modem doesn't fix the issue, Amazon's on-screen prompt recommends going to www.amazon.com/videohelp(opens in a new tab) for additional troubleshooting tips. If the user inputs that URL directly into their web browser, they are forwarded to an official Amazon support page.

However, not all users do that. Many people input URLs as a search query in Google, which gives scammers their opening. The only thing bad actors need to do is create a fake web page that looks convincingly like Amazon and its Prime Video service, optimize them so these fraudulent pages appear high in search engine results pages. Now they're ready to extract money from their targets."

from Scammers spoof Amazon Prime Video and trick users into paying fake fees - https://mashable.com/article/amazon-prime-video-tv-scam

I am guessing that we did type the url given to us on screen in the the bar at the top of the browser in Google Chrome, which, I suppose, acts the same as a search. I guess I need to type in "https:://" or whatever before the text of the url or something like that? Who knew? I thought we were supposed to be past putting all of that in a url!

I’m wondering if someone spoofed a Roku app/channel to look like Prime Video. If they did they would have all the info you input in order to set up Prime service. Then they could remotely set up your Roku using the info you provided making it seem like they fixed it for you.
Geez, spoofing a Roku app!! Maybe. It is hard to remember what information we provided over the phone. My impression is not all that much, but I think we did provide an email address. Again, Amazon should know our email address, although I suppose the guy on the phone could have put it as a check on whether we were who we said we were. No matter how paranoid you are, it is hard to keep up. Even paranoids have real enemies. Just because you are agoraphobic does not mean it is safe to leave the house, physically or virtually!

Contact the group you are working with directly through a known secure website.
I guess the rub is that "known secure website." Also, I guess, right click on every hyperlink to see what it behind it, no matter what the source of that hyperlink.
I personally do not buy from Amazon, I need nothing yesterday.
I feel guilty about using Amazon sometimes but we use it a lot. Says a lot of hassle in tracking down what I want to buy and it gets to my house quickly. It was unusual that I bought the Roku at Best Buy. Maybe I should have gone to Amazon for a Fire Stick. We have been really happy with Roku. We used to watch things like HBO through it in preference to directly on the Verizon Fios cable service. It streamed more reliably on Roku. We have smart TVs. I am sure we could get much of the content with just the TV, but Roku seems to provide value added.

My wife repots that she is very sure the 1 888 number we called came up on the TV screen and not on the computer. She does not think we were ever on the a spoofed website. That everything but the 1-888 number was legit. So, Whisky may be right. A spoofed Roku app. FWIW.

Well I got to funny text messages recently.

Your Amazon Account is LOCKED.🫠

Your NexFlix account is LOCKED.

I laughted, because I do not have either.

Scammers at work.
Yep! I get those all the time. I do happen to have both, but I am smart enough not to fall for those. Maybe not smart enough to go on the net in 2023 thugh!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Yep! I get those all the time. I do happen to have both, but I am smart enough not to fall for those. Maybe not smart enough to go on the net in 2023 thugh!
I always text them back and ask what I need to do to get them unlocked. I explain that my phone doesn’t make phone calls so I can only text. They never respond. 🙁

I thought I would follow up on this. Paypal came through quickly and with flying colors. Effortless on our end.

I hate to be an ad for Paypal, but it sure delivered here!

PayPals single redeeming quality: buyer protection.
I am with you on this, Phil! Like I said, I am surprised to be singing Paypal's praises. But it seems like that saved us here. I suppose if we had given this guy a credit card we could have contested that, too, but it would have been a more difficult and delayed process. I am truly embarrassed we fell for this!

Both the Roku and Amazon forums are full of these reports...

Well I got to funny text messages recently.

Your Amazon Account is LOCKED.🫠

Your NexFlix account is LOCKED.

I laughted, because I do not have either.

Scammers at work.
I’ve gotten quite a few emails and texts about my “Netflix” account being locked. Since I don’t have Netflix I don’t worry about it and delete them

Top Bottom