What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

Actually, I found the Assured blades better than a Derby. Never been able to finish a shave with a Derby, tried twice and gave up. I found shaves 2 and 3 were the best with the Assured.
I suffered through shaves 1 thru 4.333 with an Assured blade. Would have tossed any other DE blade at .33 of a shave, but wanted to give it a chance. Only other blade I have tried that was similarly as bad is a Crown.

They might have switched blade to a better costing one. Don't know.

I suffered through shaves 1 thru 4.333 with an Assured blade. Would have tossed any other DE blade at .33 of a shave, but wanted to give it a chance. Only other blade I have tried that was similarly as bad is a Crown.

They might have switched blade to a better costing one. Don't know.

I applaud you for giving it a shot. Don't get me wrong, the Assured blades were a challenge but paired with the Assured razor, they would provide a good DFS without trouble, at least for me. I managed one BBS during the challenge.

I applaud you for giving it a shot. Don't get me wrong, the Assured blades were a challenge but paired with the Assured razor, they would provide a good DFS without trouble, at least for me. I managed one BBS during the challenge.
Without trouble? Yeah, I had no loss of blood. The 4.33 though was because I thought I had bit deeply into flesh, it snagged and yanked an hair so hard :)

It was never a comfortable shave though.

Without trouble? Yeah, I had no loss of blood. The 4.33 though was because I thought I had bit deeply into flesh, it snagged and yanked an hair so hard :)

It was never a comfortable shave though.

I think I still have a couple Assured blades left but I am saving them for Assured April.

Or get revenge, and we all send him an Assured Blade :)

It does rank on the bottom of any blade I have tried. Only around 10 at the moment though.
Part of the fun with DE shaving has been trying some of the best...and some of the worst...blades available. The best part is going thru it with a great group from B&B!!

Day 6. The personna continues to be a welcomed change.
Sounds like your Assured Razor is going to go the distance!! Nice!!

Went to the Dollar Tree this morning for something else and found a bin full of the things. So I bought one. I already shaved this morning and have a Slim Adjustable arriving today, so it may be awhile before I give it a try. We'll see how it goes

Well, I went the distance. I accidentally dropped it yesterday and a door fell off. Got it back on, but something wasn't quite right with it. I did do a 2-pass with it though. And it is now retired.

Well, I went the distance. I accidentally dropped it yesterday and a door fell off. Got it back on, but something wasn't quite right with it. I did do a 2-pass with it though. And it is now retired.
Well done, @Clay S!! Sorry to hear about your razor's tragic fall...but, for only $1...

Well done, @Clay S!! Sorry to hear about your razor's tragic fall...but, for only $1...
It gave me a good reason/excuse to throw it away, err, retire it to a place of . . . err. . . honor. And since I received a PIFed single ring clone yesterday from lancre, the timing was Great.

1000!!! :a50:

I need it, too!! I wish I had kept the mailer that he sent the razor in.
Congratulations! It seems like only yesterday when I rather rudely stepped on your thread and issued my own "challenge within a challenge" for anyone to try my particular Assured, which was visibly crooked. Some here actually became a bit peeved at my progressively obnoxious and inane posts (never take me seriously) as I waited for a taker, while you politely declined and remained patient and good-humored. Then my respected colleague @burg1198 graciously accepted my challenge and we exchanged razors by mail. Um, ah, I never did find out what happened to him. Ahem. I hope he is OK, or at the very least, receiving expert care and steadily recuperating.

Just got my afternoon shave and got the assured razor out of his lair, and came thru with a nice DFS, and now off to the movies!

Congratulations! It seems like only yesterday when I rather rudely stepped on your thread and issued my own "challenge within a challenge" for anyone to try my particular Assured, which was visibly crooked. Some here actually became a bit peeved at my progressively obnoxious and inane posts (never take me seriously) as I waited for a taker, while you politely declined and remained patient and good-humored. Then my respected colleague @burg1198 graciously accepted my challenge and we exchanged razors by mail. Um, ah, I never did find out what happened to him. Ahem. I hope he is OK, or at the very least, receiving expert care and steadily recuperating.

It took awhile but the bleeding was finally brought under control. [emoji846]

I did get the chance to adjust the alignment on the razor and it is as fine of a shaver as a $1 razor can be now. I break it out for a shave every now and again.

I'm back home from my nearly 2-week trip as of Thursday. Today I placed a new Assured blade into my Paradigm 17-4. I did a normal 3-pass shave. I had just a little sting on my cheeks with the alcohol splash. Otherwise, a very nice BBS shave.

I sure wish they sold the Assured Razor at my local Dollar Tree.

I'm back home from my nearly 2-week trip as of Thursday. Today I placed a new Assured blade into my Paradigm 17-4. I did a normal 3-pass shave. I had just a little sting on my cheeks with the alcohol splash. Otherwise, a very nice BBS shave.

I sure wish they sold the Assured Razor at my local Dollar Tree.

Give it time, it'll likely show up at some point. Mine didn't have it for a long while but when I was there the other day, there they were. They'd received a whole case and just dumped them into a bin on the bottom shelf rather than hanging them on a peg.

I just finished a 6 day business trip (training seminar) and took an Assured razor with a tuck of Voshkod blades. 6 days and 5 excellent shaves, period. It's hit or miss with these $1 razors and that's understandable.
To be quite frank this whole thing was started just as a dare and see who brave, foolish, crazy or just plain nuts to join me on this journey. And to my surprise, as well as to many here including The Ridiculously Demented 11+1 (myself included makes it a bakers blood mongers dozen) the shaves were quite passable with some bordering on good to excellent. That is if the razor held up long enough. Blades weren't half bad neither, as I've shaved with much worse.

To those 11+1 T.R.D. Crew, it was a hell of a ride and fun shaving journey. It would have been great for a get together with that group and throw down a couple of pints just to hear the stories and yarns that would have come out of that group.

I just finished a 6 day business trip (training seminar) and took an Assured razor with a tuck of Voshkod blades. 6 days and 5 excellent shaves, period. It's hit or miss with these $1 razors and that's understandable.
To be quite frank this whole thing was started just as a dare and see who brave, foolish, crazy or just plain nuts to join me on this journey. And to my surprise, as well as to many here including The Ridiculously Demented 11+1 (myself included makes it a bakers blood mongers dozen) the shaves were quite passable with some bordering on good to excellent. That is if the razor held up long enough. Blades weren't half bad neither, as I've shaved with much worse.

To those 11+1 T.R.D. Crew, it was a hell of a ride and fun shaving journey. It would have been great for a get together with that group and throw down a couple of pints just to hear the stories and yarns that would have come out of that group.

It was a fun adventure that you started for a lot of people. It made me look at $1.00 stores for different products. I'll be trying my $0.99 Personna blades before too long. I'm gonna keep it a secret where I got them from though:a29:

Well, I tried my dollar store Assured razor and blades tonight. But not together. Too risky.
My SuperSpeed had a twice-used PPI Gillette Platinum, a combination I can count on to not give me trouble though I get better shaves with my Slim set on 6. I took the GP blade out and installed it in the $1 razor, and a new Assured blade into the Super Speed.
Showered, lathered, grabbed the Assured razor and shaved my right cheek WTG. It cut okay, but red bumpy irritation everywhere.
Put it down. Grabbed the SS with the Assured blade and shaved my left cheek WTG. It also cut okay, but red bumpy irritation everywhere.
To hell with this. Swapped the GP back into the SS and finished shaving with no further issues. First time ever that my cheeks are more irritated than my neck. Had to use the after shave gel instead of the splash today.
The Assured razor and all four unused blades to the trash, the used Assured blade to the sharps box.
It wasn't money wasted. I got a valuable education for just one dollar.

Top Bottom