What's new

Looking for a Few Good Men..... The $1 Razor Challenge!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I saw this post and decided to drop by Family Dollar to get one on the way home from work yesterday. The one carried in my store was the Assured brand. Other than a bit of rattling when opening the silo doors, which improved greatly by a few drops of 10w-30 at the hinges and down the rod channel ii the handle. I didn't feel like using their razors, so I swapped out the week-old Astra AS from my Rockwell 6S and tried a shave. It had been about 12 hours since my morning shave, so it wasn't a full day's growth, and my hair isn't very course, but it shaved well.

One thing that I hadn't realized is that a light razor provides much more feedback than a heavy one like the Rockwell. I wouldn't be satisfied with the Assured as a daily razor, but I was very impressed with the value -- $1 doesn't buy much, and it works amazingly well for that price.
It really is amazing.

I saw this post and decided to drop by Family Dollar to get one on the way home from work yesterday. The one carried in my store was the Assured brand. Other than a bit of rattling when opening the silo doors, which improved greatly by a few drops of 10w-30 at the hinges and down the rod channel ii the handle. I didn't feel like using their razors, so I swapped out the week-old Astra AS from my Rockwell 6S and tried a shave. It had been about 12 hours since my morning shave, so it wasn't a full day's growth, and my hair isn't very course, but it shaved well.

One thing that I hadn't realized is that a light razor provides much more feedback than a heavy one like the Rockwell. I wouldn't be satisfied with the Assured as a daily razor, but I was very impressed with the value -- $1 doesn't buy much, and it works amazingly well for that price.

Hi,

I would tell you give one of the included blades a spin. Not only in the Assured razor, but others you may have. You might be pleasantly surprised.

While I won't be replacing my GSBs and Sputniks, these no name blades offer me a shave about as good as a Dorco or Wilkinson in the ReiMei and Futur clone I have handy. I'm still amazed at how good a shave can be had for a single buck.

I've only been shaving with a DE razor for a week, but have laid in a lot of blades. I bought 4 tucks of Feathers (5 blades each), plus bulk packs of Sharks (1x100 blades), SuperMax Blue Diamonds (1x), Voskhods (1x), 7 O'clock SharpEdge [yellow package] (1x), Personna "Lab Blues" (2x), Wilkinson Swords (2x), and Astra Superiors (4x). I'll try all of them eventually, but I started with Astras and have no complaints thus far. I'm still on my first blade and it's shaving close with very little irritation. I feel it a little bit, but there's no redness, so I'm chalkling that up to my skin just getting used to a DE razor.

Also, it's probably not a big deal, but I misstated the store I bought the Assured razor at -- it was Dollar Tree, not Family Dollar.

@jnphares wow you have just being at it a week and you seem ages ahead as when I was a week old with a DE, great selection of blades you have, wont be dissapointed with any of them, but again, 7 years into traditional wet shaving and I thought the only way from here was more expensive razors, and then this $1 dollar razor come acoss and I am all like: what tha hell!

I saw this thread an decided to jump in on the fun. Tried one of the blades in my Slim set at 7 to start with. Did not seem very sharp, tugged a lot. Will try again tomorrow with a milder setting. Then plunge in with the actual razor.
0712181320-00.jpg
0712181406-00.jpg

Yet another point for AutoCorrupt and the CFWWI (Campaign For World Wide Illiteracy).

And as much as we struggle against it, it appears (slowly but surely) that they are winning. :001_rolle

Auto correct is bad enough. The predictive text really drives me crazy.

The predictive text really drives me crazy.
:laugh: Look, we can remove all mental effort for you. When we've finished you'll be so confused you'll just send it anyway. And because no one will be able to understand it they'll think that you're a genius (and that they're going crazy).

Eventually we'll do all your thinking for you. No stress. You're gonna love it! :letterk1:

FarmerTan

And it is complete!!!

1. ED3054
2. bdehne
3. imatabor
4. NCGent
5. Ruva
6. Grundi
7. MilkCrate
8. Burg1198
9. Steveymetal
10. DCRIII
11. FarmerTan

Complete! Thanks for all the brave gents who stepped up to the plate. (Or complete Nuts!)
Will be getting these all out by Tuesday, the latest. Have fun Gents and don’t forget to post your experiences right here.

Vaya Con Dios!!

Shave on! :shaving:
The original eleven.... not the brightest bunch, but definitely includes 10 of the bravest souls in the TTO wars. Anyone of us still using theirs? Thanks again @GlazedBoker . Can you believe your bravery and generosity has led to nearly a thousand posts?!?!

I am not an original, but you can say I am a disciple right after the apostles were chosen! and yes I still use mine from time to time, still no problems but I do take care of it like is worth more than a dollar!

The original eleven.... not the brightest bunch, but definitely includes 10 of the bravest souls in the TTO wars. Anyone of us still using theirs? Thanks again @GlazedBoker . Can you believe your bravery and generosity has led to nearly a thousand posts?!?!

Ya'll Lured me in. Shaved with the blade twice, and then today the razor w/ blade

FarmerTan

I am not an original, but you can say I am a disciple right after the apostles were chosen! and yes I still use mine from time to time, still no problems but I do take care of it like is worth more than a dollar!
Yes, as I recall you jumped in early, which makes you another brave soul. Mine hasn't been used since sometime in June, I think. But still fully functional, as I too have treated it better than my old 1962 tech! No rust inside at all. But I try to always dry it and oil it well after each use.

What? I thought we were pioneers.

I don’t have mine anymore. It died a rusty death.

We all need a signature line. Maybe @GlazedBoker has an idea? Oh, and congrats, @Clay S , you too must be brave, or like me, and not playing with a full deck!
Some of us "courageous pioneer" (with a tip o' the brush to @MilkCrate) use "$1 No-Fear Razor Gang" as part of our tags.

Well done and welcome aboard, true believers (@@ngel and @Clay S)

Unfortunately, mine was one of those that didn't survive the journey. Some of ours began to develop rust, and then experienced "quality issues". But the blades...the blades were actually something to write home about!!

Top Bottom