What's new

Looking For a Budget Lapping Plate

Hi, all.

I am looking to purchase a lapping plate for under $100 and was looking for some recommendations.

I have a Shapton Pro 1.5k stone and some coticules and I'm wondering what plate would go well with them.

I have looked at the Atoma 400 and DMT D8C 8-Inch Dia-Sharp Continuous Diamond Coarse.
Are these any good?

I also need a good quality straight edge.
Will these be any good?

Thanks.

Dan

Atomas are considered the standard. You could try an 800 ot 1200 for your finishing stones. But may not be required.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Atomas are considered the standard. You could try an 800 ot 1200 for your finishing stones. But may not be required.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Atoma 400 too course for the finishing stones?

Will the 800 or 1200 be able to flatten the Shapton 1.5k?

Dan

Thanks for the reply.

Is the Atoma 400 too coarse for the finishing stones?

For flattening yes, probably no, for surfacing

Will the 800 or 1200 be able to flatten the Shapton 1.5k?

yes for flatten and surface conditioning

go for the atoma, i spent 10 years on dmts and only recently tried atoma. like a different animal completely

edit: words went away, i put them back

For flattening no, for surfacing

yes for flatten and surface conditioning

go for the atoma, i spent 10 years on dmts and only recently tried atoma. like a different animal completely

Thanks for the reply.

So which Atoma should I buy? The 400, 800, or the 1200?

Dan

Most folks would not consider $100 for a lapping plate to be budget, although there are some very expensive lapping plates costing far more: DMT Diaflat ($210) and Shapton Diamond Glass ($380).

For initial lapping you can use Silicon Carbide wet dry sandpaper backed by glass, marble, or granite. Even cheap diamond plates such as those from Harbor Freight will work for that purpose.

Once the hone is close to flat, I then use a 1200 grit Atoma plate. Atoma also makes 140 grit and 600 grit diamond plates, but I also use my 1200 grit for raising a slurry on my finishing hone, so I like the finer grit. DMT diamond stones are also popular.

One cool thing about the Atoma plates is that the abrasive surface is glued to a metal backing plate. Thus, you can replace the surface if it gets worn. You can also purchase a second grit level and glue it to the back side of your backing plate to have dual grit levels.

I have been using sandpaper on flat surface until now but I really want something that's a bit more practical and easy to carry than a tile. I am going to be travelling a lot, so I feel that a lapping plate would be good for me to have.

I need a plate that will be able to flatten my Shapton Pro 1.5k and my coticules. Which of the Atoma plates is best for that purpose?

Dan

Any Atoma will work.
400 grit will work fast and clog the least.
If you can get a 600 that's what I would get.
I have a 400 and a 1200. I've never seen the 600 at least not when I bought mine.

Thanks for the help.

I found the 600 at a UK retailer where I live.

Would you be able to tell me if the straight edge that I posted will be good enough to check for flatness?

Dan

Atoma 400 and 1200 is hard to beat! Like Ray says, buy a 1200 and put the 400 on the back side.

That's an option I might consider in future, but for now I just want to invest in one plate that would keep my Shapton 1.5k and Coticules flat. I'm not looking to raise slurry with it; I just want it for flattening.

Do you think the 1200 is a bit too fine?

Would you recommend the 400 over the 600?

Dan

Yes Sir! If you want a budget lapping plate CNTG has a 400/1000 diamond plate for like 25$. It is not a Atoma but a very good friend uses one and is happy with his.
1200 is not fine enough, Lol! A used Atoma is the best conditioner on the planet IMH. Just use your 1200 and it becomes damn near perfect and stays that way longer than any other I have tried.

I have an atoma 1200 and like it. When I accidentally nicked my Naniwa 1k stone on my first hone, the atoma 1200 was able to take the stone down to level after a few minutes of work. Rinses easily and raises a nice slurry on my Naniwa 5k as well

IIRC anything above 400 is not recommended by Atoma for lapping. I can tell you from experience that the 1200 will not hold up to regular lapping. I’ve completely toasted three of them using them to lap stones.

That's interesting.

I heard something similar from the guy I bought the Coticules. He recommends 300-400 grit.

Dan

Top Bottom