What's new

Looking ahead to winter - coat advice

Not relevant to the OPs' question a few years back but I've lived in Idaho for 28 years. Been retired the whole time. I have a few winter jackets that work for where we live. For any of them, layering as necessary. Favorite is probably a couple Land's End Squall jackets. They make them very differently than today so it's not a recommendation. A rain jacket over if it's raining. Snow is generally not an issue. I also like the Patagonia Down Sweater for dry and cold days. Lots of competition for this style jacket now, some with better features but these things are great and weigh nothing. I have a Marnot and REI rain shell which both work pretty good as an outer layer. I also have a couple pile vests for layering. It gets cold and windy here but our part of the state doesn't get huge amounts of snow. Doesn't stop it from drifting!

In my business days in California, I had (and still do) a trench coat with a removable liner for over a suit.

Not relevant to the OPs' question a few years back but I've lived in Idaho for 28 years. Been retired the whole time. I have a few winter jackets that work for where we live. For any of them, layering as necessary. Favorite is probably a couple Land's End Squall jackets. They make them very differently than today so it's not a recommendation. A rain jacket over if it's raining. Snow is generally not an issue. I also like the Patagonia Down Sweater for dry and cold days. Lots of competition for this style jacket now, some with better features but these things are great and weigh nothing. I have a Marnot and REI rain shell which both work pretty good as an outer layer. I also have a couple pile vests for layering. It gets cold and windy here but our part of the state doesn't get huge amounts of snow. Doesn't stop it from drifting!

In my business days in California, I had (and still do) a trench coat with a removable liner for over a suit.

Which trench coat did you opt for? Curiosity.

Which trench coat did you opt for? Curiosity.
It's a London Fog back when they were a good alternative to Burberry. IIRC, it's American made. Proper length as well (meaning, below the knees) and all the traditional details.

Reactions: ctr
Many thanks to the OP for the timely update.

Presumptions/Conditions as listed below

I tend to run cold.

Dress code is jacket and tie from Labor Day thru Memorial Day here in the KCMO metro area.

My commute is a 20 min by car into a semi heated parking garage followed 2 block walk to building.

If I was commuting like the OP with a 10-15 min walk, I would might add a hat and gloves in the 50-40 range though if you step lively, you do make some of your own heat so to speak.

60-50-- I will likely pick a heavier sportcoat/suitcoat (Harris Tweed/cashmere/wool.)

50--40--I will likely put on gloves/scarf. Will augment sportcoat with a vest under (could be thin fleece-eddie bauer first ascent or down-Uniqlo and highly recommended for this application.)

https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/produc...Fj7ftJbo_3C6QUM_n9BoC78AQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

40-30-- Hat added to the mix. Wool lined London Fog Trench Coming out for sure. I have a couple of longer soft shells that can work with a jacket as well. Presently on clearance below at 62.50. I wear a 44 L and went with XLs given the layering I do. For casual wear i.e. t shirt/shirt/sweater or fleece, I would likely just go L and my buy said jacket for this eventuality)

30-20--Wool or synthetic long johns are in play with above. 32 degree brand sold at costco are an excellent proof of concept choice. Patagonia Capilenes are the buy once cry once solution in synthetic. Smartwool/IceBreaker brands for wool.

20 and 10-Old school Eddie Bauer Down parka (Black) comes out, New school Eddie Bauer First Ascent Primaloft Parka comes out despite the fact it is bright red.

10-colder Absent a court appearance. All pretence of fashion/style is out. All about warmth. Flannel/Fleece lined pants. Serious boots. Multiple layers. etc. I will de layer at the office and wear the ever present blue blazer if needed.

FWIW/YMMV

Top Bottom