What's new

Looking ahead to winter - coat advice

For me it would depend on what kind of person you are. If you are sporty I would go for a Three season coat. The kind with the water resistant shell and insulating layer. Lots of companies make them now. I have always had Columbia but last one I bought was Calven Klein from Costco. Mine usually last about 4-5 years looking good. Then they start looking a little tattered and dated. If you are a dressier kind of person I would go for a Pea coat or Great coat. I have always been eyeing this company for when I want to pull the trigger. Sterlingwear Boston
Just my opinion.
Johnny

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For me it would depend on what kind of person you are.

Ultimately, that's what it's going to boil down to for the OP ... he gets lots of good advice, lines up the viable options, and then decides for himself what look he likes best. Maybe he picks a look that reflects who he is, maybe he picks an aspirational "dress for the job you want" look that reflects who he wants to become, or ... ??

In any event, we all look forward to seeing the end result!

Careful consideration led me to order a London Fog Dakota raincoat with removable liner. I'll follow up once the coat arrives.

My thought is the removable liner will allow the use of the coat well into fall. I will have ample time to consider adding a heavy wool long coat for winter or another option.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Enjoy!

I will have ample time to consider adding a heavy wool long coat for winter or another option.

I have a hard time giving specific advice, because I don't know what your winters there are "really like". But see how the coat performs in your local weather, and make the best decision for your needs.

IF the coat is good for all but an occasional extra-cold day, you may be able to get by with that coat, and just wear a sweater underneath, and make sure you have good hat/gloves/scarf. But if you have weeks of "dang, I need a thicker coat" in a row ... get a thicker coat!!

Reactions: ctr
Enjoy!

I have a hard time giving specific advice, because I don't know what your winters there are "really like". But see how the coat performs in your local weather, and make the best decision for your needs.

IF the coat is good for all but an occasional extra-cold day, you may be able to get by with that coat, and just wear a sweater underneath, and make sure you have good hat/gloves/scarf. But if you have weeks of "dang, I need a thicker coat" in a row ... get a thicker coat!!

Very good advice Doc. Winter is fairly tolerable most years until January. Late January and February are the months to endure as well as the cold winds of early March.

I use one of two Barbour wool scarves in the winter. Both are excellent. I also have a pair of cashmere lined leather gloves which are wonderful. A Scottish wool hat for cold days and a cashmere wool watch cap for awfully cold days round it out.

I find that I can get with just about any coat, but one thing I can do without in the worst of winter weather is a proper cap with ear flaps.
winter cap.jpg

I find that I can get with just about any coat, but one thing I can do without in the worst of winter weather is a proper cap with ear flaps.
View attachment 804686
Sorry, that should read, "I find I can get by with just about any coat, but one thing I can't do without in the worst of winter weather is a proper cap with ear flaps". Sheesh...I should proof read my posts before I push "Post Reply"! Yes, a good cap with ear flaps is a necessity!

The new coat arrived. I think it will do well. I'll take it to the tailor for sleeve alteration this weekend.

Coat is back from the tailor. I think this coat will do very well for my needs.

Update after several years of use.

The London Fog raincoat with removable liner, scarf, and hat worked well in temperatures down to the lower 40's. There were heavy rain days where one might wish for more leg coverage.

Many cold morning walks in January led me to scramble for a wool topcoat. Found a nice HSM coat that was nice and warm.

Advice to others after several years of use, I would opt for a two coat solution. A long trench coat with removable liner offering maximum rain coverage. A wool topcoat for cold winter days. Length is important to keep legs warm and dry as one person mentioned. Truth be told, I wore silk long bottoms under the pants on the days when temperatures were below 20 degrees. Easily removed once at the office.

Paired with a scarf, cashmere lined leather gloves, and a decent hat or three and a fellow is well outfitted. Rarely did I use an umbrella as they are simply useless in the wind. A good quality wool felt fedora provides excellent rain protection or the head. A driving style cap, ome wool, and one with fold down ear flaps were essential wear during sunny and bitter cold days respectively.

The benefit of the trench and the topcoat is a decent collar that works. One stiff enough to stand up on its own against the bitter cold and wet days, and one wide enough to completely cover the back of the neck up to the hat.

I wore this combination until COVID brought remote work home. Hopefully this information will help others.

Nice looking Milwaukee coat that is heated with a rechargeable 12v battery! After I purchased one, the whole family made fun of me until they tried it. Now we all have them🤠.
8B8378CC-2F88-4052-A817-F8DC9B16651F.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for the update @ctr. I like your two coat formulation. Personally, I get by with just a trench coat as I car commute and park in garage. It also helps that I wear a lot tweed and woolens in the winter, However, I would invest in a quality top coat if I spent more time dressed up outside.

Thanks for the update @ctr. I like your two coat formulation. Personally, I get by with just a trench coat as I car commute and park in garage. It also helps that I wear a lot tweed and woolens in the winter, However, I would invest in a quality top coat if I spent more time dressed up outside.

Indeed had I not had such a lengthy walk as part of the commute your approach is exactly what I prefer. Would be nice too if American suit jackets were sized to accommodate jumpers. Practical solution from the British, and for Americans 1940's - 1960's.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Indeed had I not had such a lengthy walk as part of the commute your approach is exactly what I prefer. Would be nice too if American suit jackets were sized to accommodate jumpers. Practical solution from the British, and for Americans 1940's - 1960's.
So true! But as I'm sure you are aware, slimmer cuts are "in" these days, even for non-slim fit suits. Fortunately, merino sweater vests aren't too bulky and layer well. And, frankly, the handful of days its too cold for that here in Virginia, I just wear a proper sweater and snow jacket anyway.

Top Bottom