What's new

Briefcase - Messenger - Commuter bag advice

I'm looking at a couple of canvas and leather options including a Filson briefcase.

The one advantage offered by a briefcase over a field bag is that extra bit of organization.

My daily carry needs are minimal. Umbrella, breakfast container and lunch container. The occasional text book but that's pretty rare. I'm currently using an Eagle Creek mini bug backpack. It's just a tad bit too small. I don't really need a backpack since only using a single shoulder strap anyway.

I have Ruitertassen that I like quite a bit, many different ones to pick from, but should fit your budget.

Still looking at options. Drop handle briefcases present an interesting option. Lighter, practical, not too many compartments.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Just received my Saddleback Leather Medium Thin briefcase yesterday. Perfect size. Top quality. Beautiful piece of hand-crafted leather.

I've been using their large briefcase for quite some time and it is fantastic. Just a little too big for everyday laptop shuttling and it will now become my travel bag when I need to carry more junk.

Just received my Saddleback Leather Medium Thin briefcase yesterday. Perfect size. Top quality. Beautiful piece of hand-crafted leather.

I've been using their large briefcase for quite some time and it is fantastic. Just a little too big for everyday laptop shuttling and it will now become my travel bag when I need to carry more junk.

They make nice bags. My needs are simple just enough to carry an umbrella, lunch, and the occasional papers. I don't bring my work home with me so the laptop stays at the office.

A bag has been chosen after much deliberation, thoughtful reflection on the advice and opinions received.

The runners up are the Laptop Briefcase by Chapman Bags. Filson was a close second. Since the laptop doesn't leave the office the bag was really more than I needed. Jack George's Elements Slim briefcase was also in the running.

The winner is a Maxwell Scott Lorenzo leather flap over briefcase, chestnut color. Today was the maiden carry to work. I'm pleased to say the least.

I just got my first Timbuk2, small size. I like it and pricing is around $65-100 depending on color choice.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The winner is a Maxwell Scott Lorenzo leather flap over briefcase, chestnut color. Today was the maiden carry to work. I'm pleased to say the least.

Congratulations ... I took a look on their website and it looks nice. Fancier than I think a lot of us were thinking of based on how the discussion was going, but nothing wrong with that. Maybe use it for a few months and then maybe you can do a review for us with photos and your observations and thoughts (good, bad and indifferent.)

It'll be nice to get feedback on something other than Saddleback and Filson for a change. :001_rolle

Congratulations ... I took a look on their website and it looks nice. Fancier than I think a lot of us were thinking of based on how the discussion was going, but nothing wrong with that. Maybe use it for a few months and then maybe you can do a review for us with photos and your observations and thoughts (good, bad and indifferent.)

It'll be nice to get feedback on something other than Saddleback and Filson for a change. :001_rolle

Good idea of a review after a period of time. I like the idea.

Definitely more upscale than I intended. Additional research and reflection, with a small bit of sentiment led me to the choice. A leather briefcase was in my hand when my career started. Looks like one will be in hand as I close out my career in this final stretch of years.

$400 is a healthy budget. For a simple, tough, minimalist requirement, Chrome messengers can't be beat.

They're Made in USA if you care about that. I like the quick release belt buckle feature.

Ah, I would have recommended a messenger bag from Prada or something similar. I like their synthetic stuff, no sweat if it gets a little wet in the rain.

Top Bottom