What's new

Briefcase - Messenger - Commuter bag advice

Hello all and asking for assistance. Starting a new job with a commuter slog soon after years of parking in front of the office. My commute will involve a car ride, a bus ride, and a mile walk to get to the office. The office environment is business casual to semi professional mix of IT folks.

I am looking for a bag to carry a few items such as an umbrella, one or two lunch containers (think salads, fruit, sandwiches kind of thing), and a wind shell or lightweight rain jacket on occassion. This bag will not be used for laptop carry.

A word about me. A minimalist at heart. High speed low drag with a sense of style. I like canvas and leather construction as an ultimate, but will gladly take cordura. Styles such as the Orvis Battenkill briefcase fit my personal style well but that is a really large bag for the few items I will carry daily.

The budget I'll cap at $400.00 but hoping not to spend that much. Want quality and durability but don't care about names.

Your thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated.

i have a Filson, just like this: Medium Field Bag
proxy.php

good enough for a small umbrella and whatnots, very, very strong. Probably i'll carry it 'til i retire.

i have a Filson, just like this: Medium Field Bag

good enough for a small umbrella and whatnots, very, very strong. Probably i'll carry it 'til i retire.
Filson for the win. I bought one and have never looked back or even considered a $$$ leather. It's cleanable, you can rewax them easily and it doesn't weigh 20lbs.

I got mine cheap, non leather strap version. It looks better today than when I bought it. One large opening for all your stuff, one open pocket on back for a few small things, two snap close pockets on front. No gimmicks, no laptop or iPhone compartments. I wish I knew about them 20y ago.

If you are thinking of Barbour or some other makers, make sure it has a hand carry strap/loop if you require one. For me, it was a must. I don't believe Barbour bags have them.

proxy.php

Canvas Bag makers - Filson, Barbour, Others?
Canvas Bag makers - Filson, Barbour, Others?

Last edited:
i have a Barbour too, i didn't use it for years...
After a few years of wearing it it got so shiny i could use it as a shaving mirror :) ... maybe factory overwaxed? not a bad thing, has "character", but the plastic liner (removable) was all ripped up. I never got to re-wax it or replace the liner... maybe one day.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Red Oxx for a great line of high quality USA-made nylon options. Or check out Frost River for a Filson alternative.

IMHO Saddleback is pricing itself out of consideration.

Saddleback is out. I'm not so much interested in an all leather bag due to weight and price. If I were going down that route it would probably be Italian or British made.

The Filson bags look interesting. Any issues with musty smelling waxed canvas? I've owned a Barbour coat in the past and they don't age well as far as smell.

Also looking at a Tom Bihn option. A bit more plain looking but seems highly functional.

i believe is waxed although is hard to tell.
No, it's not like Barbour coats (or bags) at all, totally different material (I LOVE Barbour coats, with the exception of one down coat that's all i wear). Filson's canvas is much thicker and doesnt fray easily, if at all. Yes, it's a bit stiff when new but breaks in nicely after a few months/1 year.
btw, if you go with filson, google for price, you might find it cheaper than buying directly.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Red Oxx for a great line of high quality USA-made nylon options. Or check out Frost River for a Filson alternative.

IMHO Saddleback is pricing itself out of consideration.
Second the vote\ recommendations for red oxx. Have several of their models. Excellent briefcase choices and different sizes. Products seem well thought out and turned me on to one bag travel. As stated made in USA. Fantastic heavy duty zippers. Large zipper pulls. Briefcase is the only nylon bag ive seen that stands up when empty. Lifetime guarantee.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Leather is heavy but durable and yes, Saddleback is expensive. My problem with many of the alternatives were that they just looked too much like a purse.

Two local Seattle companies make outstanding bags IMO: Filson (already noted) which are definitely more stylish (in a North West sense) and Tom Bihn whose bags are more functional and are exceptionally long-lasting. Both are worth considering.

Top Bottom