What's new

Let's talk business casual shoes

Given the choice of too dressy or not dressy enough I always go with too dressy.

I think wingtips would be fine. If the dress mode is very casual I would avoid shoes with a mirror shine.

That's generally where I've been erring too. It's far better to be overdressed than underdressed in most situations. I still really suggest he look into a quality pair of wingtips. Dark jeans and brown wingtips actually looks pretty great in a casual setting, and not "stuffy" or "dressy" at all. At the same time, they can be worn with blazers and suits as well. Very versatile. Boat shoes, on the other hand, are pretty casual and best reserved for wearing either with jeans or shorts.

I have no experience with Johnston & Murphy directly, but from what I've read they seem like a quality shoe with one big caveat: they have glued soles and are not recraftable. Given that there are a number of good, recraftable shoes in the $250-400 range, it might be prudent to save up a little more to buy that next step up in quality. This is even more true when Allen Edmonds and other brands have sales that bring the price down. So J&M might be good "entry-level", but you might end up spending more in the long run if you make them the core of your collection.

Thanks guys. I like the 1901 selection for an everyday wear to work. I'm going to head to nordstroms today to see if they have some of these styles in store that I can try. As far as the wingtips, I really want a pair! But I'll wait until I get a couple of pay checks for those. And LogisticEarth brings up a great point, much appreciated. I'll save up for a pair that I can recraft and have forever.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's far better to be overdressed than underdressed in most situations. I still really suggest he look into a quality pair of wingtips.

Generally a good approach to take (within reason, of course. You shouldn't wear a tux to a picnic.)

One additional thought occurs to me ... if the OP were to buy a pair of shoes which turned out to be "too dressy" for his workplace, he could probably "tone down" the overall outfit by getting more casual pants or some such thing.

Are these nice or ridiculous? Florsheim and 90 bucks at nordstrom rack. Disregard the socks I had jeans on when I went in.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Nice ... double monk strap shoes.

IMHO I don't like the "patina" applied (the darkening near the toe); A good pair of shoes would start to look like that after many years of polishing, and they're trying to take a shortcut by painting the shoes. But that's a minor issue overall, and lots of guys like that look anyhow.

So those would fly nicely in a business casual environment? They were really comfortable. I really want those cole haan wingtips with leather sole but they're expensive and a leather sole isn't a good idea for a Colorado winter!

I have no experience with Johnston & Murphy directly, but from what I've read they seem like a quality shoe with one big caveat: they have glued soles and are not recraftable. Given that there are a number of good, recraftable shoes in the $250-400 range, it might be prudent to save up a little more to buy that next step up in quality. This is even more true when Allen Edmonds and other brands have sales that bring the price down. So J&M might be good "entry-level", but you might end up spending more in the long run if you make them the core of your collection.

I completely agree. I broke down and bought a couple of pairs of Allen Edmonds a year or so ago, and I'm about to buy a couple more - not to replace the original ones, but to add to my collection. They will last a lifetime since they can be recrafted as needed. The older Johnston & Murphy's I have are only good for about a year.

Look into Allen Edmonds' shoe bank. You can get factory seconds for a fraction of the new price.

I know that Clark's can be hit or miss when it comes to quality, but the OP might want to check out the Clark's "Norse Wing". I really like mine, and they have become so comfortable. I've had them about a year and have held up quite well. They also have a boot sole, so they might be just what you need for winter business casual footwear. Also they may be a little more economical than other options.

I opted to go for the Red Wing Iron Ranger boots after going rounds with crappy Doc Martens (China made). I've never been a fan of leather soles, I like the all season rubber sole approach better.

Side note...Colorado winters aren't that bad...unless you live in Wolf Creek... In Boulder you just have to watch your step so you don't walk on some dread-locked, trust-fund hippie busker passed out on Pearl street.

I opted to go for the Red Wing Iron Ranger boots after going rounds with crappy Doc Martens (China made). I've never been a fan of leather soles, I like the all season rubber sole approach better.

Side note...Colorado winters aren't that bad...unless you live in Wolf Creek... In Boulder you just have to watch your step so you don't walk on some dread-locked, trust-fund hippie busker passed out on Pearl street.

Lmao!!! You just explained boulder so well. When I moved here I thought I would love Boulder. I got a job there and slowly hated it more and more everyday. It's either trust fund hippies or middle aged dudes who are all better than you. Diversity is a foreign concept in Boulder.

And I've been wanting to ski wolf creek for some time now. 500 inches a year!

I just bought a pair of casual wingtips, Frye James in a brown antique leather. The coloring of the leather and lack of shine makes them less formal than say black wingtips.

Lmao!!! You just explained boulder so well. When I moved here I thought I would love Boulder. I got a job there and slowly hated it more and more everyday. It's either trust fund hippies or middle aged dudes who are all better than you. Diversity is a foreign concept in Boulder.

And I've been wanting to ski wolf creek for some time now. 500 inches a year!

It's a shame because the geography of Boulder is stunning.

Never skied Wolf Creek, I did the same as most others, sit on I-70 for hours trying to get to an overcrowded slope...although I really do despise Vail...

Congratulations on the possible job offer. First off, Cole Haan is a great brand. Secondly, the shoes you described as wingtips are more of a suit type of shoe, more formal. However, I own a pair of brown Cole Hann loafers and they are exquisite. A less expensive option is the Rockport driving loafer in brown which is super comfortable. Remember, in the end, its about comfort, screw the rules.

Top Bottom