What's new

Cole Haan Air Madison Sole Logo

Hello,
Purchased a pair of British Tan CH Air Madison Wingtip Oxfords (austerity wingtip) at Nordstrom. Loved them so much I purchased black pair from Amazon. When I was comparing them I noticed the logo font on the sole was slightly different. Checked Nordstrom and Cole Haan website and the sans serif font was on there. This matched the black pair from Amazon. Stitching on bottom of sole at leather was tighter on tan pair w/ serif font.

Out of curiosity I called Cole Haan and the somewhat helpful gentleman said the ones from Nordstrom were authentic even with the slightly different logo. I asked if this indicated an older pair or anything of significance and he could not answer my question. Just said not to worry.

Was wondering if anyone else has different logo on their soles. I understand these things can change over time, but was surprised having purchased them within a week of each other.

On a related note, is Cole Haan still a respected brand? These feel great on my feet, but if they are not going to hold up over time I will look for something else. I understand these are dress casual and may not be constructed as well as other Cole Haan shoes.
$ColeHaanLogos.jpg
Price at Nordstrom was $248 for British Tan. Price at Amazon was $142 for black. British Tan on Amazon was $172. Surprised prices varied for Cole Haans.

YOu know - Nike now owns Cole Haan. I have several pair of pre- and post Nike shoes - have a pair of pinch penny tassles on now . There is not as much attention to detail I don't think but they are more comfortable because of the nike inspired insole. I think there on par with any shoein their price range and probably more coomfortable. My guess is the logo is different because they hadn't used up all their inventory of molded outsoles in that color - should be the only difference

They're a good value at 50% off but I would not pay full price. They are bonded leather and plastic junk. I use to buy them all the time and would have to send them back to the manufacture because of defects. I suggest you buy them from their online site so that you have a record of your purchases so that you can get your money back when they fall apart. Ask a cobbler what they think of the brand! I still have a couple pair pre-Nike when they were made in the USA and they are fantastic shoes.

Thats interesting because mine are not bonded and have no plastic - SOME of their models in the cheaper styles are that way. I have no affiliation with them just enjoy the ones I have. But then I'm not a Secrete Agent as the gentleman above

Thats interesting because mine are not bonded and have no plastic - SOME of their models in the cheaper styles are that way. I have no affiliation with them just enjoy the ones I have. But then I'm not a Secrete Agent as the gentleman above

I meant corrected grain leather, which is poor quality leather that's had the imperfections sanded. Since bought by Nike, most of their shoes are made in India or Mexico. There higher quality leather is called Bragano and made in Italy.

I'm crazy Secrete, watch out!

Thanks for feedback. These were made in India... so there's that. I purchased one pair at Nordstrom's so if the fall apart, that should not be a problem. I'll peruse the forum for threads on quality oxfords. Sounds like many of the classic houses have been purchased and/or reduced their quality.

Hook 'em right back atcha Longhorn. Texas Alum 1984.

YOu know - Nike now owns Cole Haan.

They actually don't anymore. They sold them to Apax Partners in February. So it could be that the Nordstrom ones are the "post-Nike" and the Amazon ones are still Nike stock.

Alternatively, it could be that Cole Haan makes two styles - one the discounted "Amazon" one and the more upscale "Nordstrom" one. I bought a pair of Sperry canvas shoes from Nordstrom earlier in the summer. They then had a very similar version at DSW toward the end, but there were small differences.

They actually don't anymore. They sold them to Apax Partners in February. So it could be that the Nordstrom ones are the "post-Nike" and the Amazon ones are still Nike stock.

Alternatively, it could be that Cole Haan makes two styles - one the discounted "Amazon" one and the more upscale "Nordstrom" one. I bought a pair of Sperry canvas shoes from Nordstrom earlier in the summer. They then had a very similar version at DSW toward the end, but there were small differences.

I can't speak to quality yet. They look identical except for the logo. Very slight difference in feel (Amazon wider).
The salesperson at Nordstrom did mention the Air sole was going away after all these were sold. This fits with your Apax Partners purchase comment. No Nike... No Air.

Top Bottom