What's new

Let's talk dress shoes...

Let's talk shoes -- dress shoes In particular. My dress shoes consist of a couple of pairs of Dack's black oxfords and a dress casual pair of brown Clarks. I just recently purchased a pair of ox blood single monk strap Johnston & Murphy shoes and I love them. I have my eye on some Cole Haans and Florsheim shoes as my next purchase. I am saving up my pennies.

How many pairs of dress shoes do you own? How many of those do you wear on a regular basis? (yes, I know, only one pair at a time!). What brands / types of dress shoes do own? Do you have a regular cleaning polishing routine? Do you use shoe trees? Do you store your shoes in their original box or do they line the floor of your closet? What is your best advice to someone buying dress shoes?

I have a few pairs of Allen Edmonds shoes (I don't want to count them, my family already calls me, "Imelda"). Those in season are kept in shoe bags in closets (boots in one room, shoes in another), those out of season are in boxes, stored. All get shoe trees when my feet aren't in them. Some are polished, some just get leather treatment. Once you know which lasts fit, buying shoes gets a bit too easy . . . .

I have one pair of dress shoes that I wear Monday through Friday and Sunday mornings. They are black wing tips, although I don't recall the brand at the moment (I like the Florsheim shoes though). I had a second pair at one time, brown, but I don't have any brown tone suits anymore so I didn't replace them when they wore out. Polishing consists of Kiwi and a soft buffing cloth. I enjoy polishing my shoes, probably from doing my military boots before they switched to the current style. I don't bother using a shoe tree. I tried them and didn't find any major reason to bother. My best advice is to get your shoes fitted by a reputable shoe store, at least for the first purchase. I wear mine for eight hours a day or more and they need to fit right to be comfortable.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

2 pair black Allen Edmonds Graysons for work
1 pair oxblood Cole Hahn pinch buckle for casual
1 pair Keene Targhee II for backpacking
1 Pair Bean Bluchr moccasins for casual
1 pair Asics running shoes
1 pair Crocs for beach, aprés hiking, etc.
1 pair Ariat Roper boots for casual
1 pair unknown brown leather ankle boots
a couple other pair that I can't think of at the moment

2 pair black Allen Edmonds Graysons for work
1 pair oxblood Cole Hahn pinch buckle for casual
1 pair Keene Targhee II for backpacking
1 Pair Bean Bluchr moccasins for casual
1 pair Asics running shoes
1 pair Crocs for beach, aprés hiking, etc.
1 pair Ariat Roper boots for casual
1 pair unknown brown leather ankle boots
a couple other pair that I can't think of at the moment

A bit off topic, but Asics are my favorite running shoes, although I don't run as often as I used to.

I have switched from conventional dress shoes to western boots. I must have around 10 pair of Lucchese, Heritage, and other brands, but the Lucchese and Heritage are my favorites. I find them more fashionable and stylish and much more comfortable to wear. Do they raise some eyebrows? Maybe a few, but I've gotten a lot more compliments on them.

I have switched from conventional dress shoes to western boots. I must have around 10 pair of Lucchese, Heritage, and other brands, but the Lucchese and Heritage are my favorites. I find them more fashionable and stylish and much more comfortable to wear. Do they raise some eyebrows? Maybe a few, but I've gotten a lot more compliments on them.
A good pair of western boots is hard to beat.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Cowboy Boots all year for me. I take them to the shine parlor about once a month. Buff them before every wear with an ex-sock.

1 Hanover schell cordovan, 1 French Shriner, 3 Florsheim, 4 Allen Edmonds, 4 Aldens

All purchased on Ebay as "new old stock" or " like new used". I wear one pair I pick in random rotation, whenever I leave the property. I always use a shoe horn and shoe trees. When I receive them I use shoe cleaner, shoe condition and paste polish and apply what's needed once their in the collection. They are displayed on shelves in my closet so I don't forget any model.

I rank Florsheim and Alden at the top of these brands. If you buy Florsheim make sure they have green stitching in the interior, because the new stock without the stitching is not quality.

I don't plan on adding more than one or two pair, unless I sell one of my current collection.

Edmonds mostly with a few odd balls sprinkled in. I work for an advisory firm and when your in a meeting with execs you'd be surprised or wouldn't as to how many are shoe snobs. I'd never spend more than what Edmonds cost because there's no need as they're the standard in the boardroom although Alden folks look down their noses at Edmonds while I laugh inside.

I just purchased another pair of tan Johnston & Murphy shoes. Very comfortable and stylish. I think I may have stumbled on a new acquisition disorder...

I have about 20 various pairs of dress shoes from Crockett and Jones, Carmina and Edward Green and a couple pairs of Lucchese boots. The Carmina and Edward Green shoes have lasted shoe trees while the C&J and boots have adjustable shoes trees. Shoes are kept on a shoe rack in my closet and rotated and cleaned after each wear. Since I clean after each wear, I only need to condition my shoes every 4-5 months or so. The majority of my shoes are cleaned and conditioned in March and October to remove old polish and stuff. I only use Saphir shoe care products since they do not contain silicone and are the best at restoring moisture to the leather that I've found.

Last edited:
I only keep 3 or 4 pairs of dress shoes on hand...and if I buy some new ones something old has gotta go. I gave 4 pairs to goodwill recently.

currently rotating cole haan tan loafers and johnston & Murphy oxfords/brogue wingtips in dark brown and black for work. I try not to wear the same pair in a row. they stay on a rack in my closet.

If weather is nasty I throw on some dress-ish boots that I usually wear with jeans. one black(calvin klein), one brown suede(treated), one tan(madden)

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm much better than I was before I retired. I formerly had around 25 pair of dress shoes. Now I'm down to about 14. I liked the Johnson and Murphy Aristocrafts, but the quality seems to have slipped a bit over the last decade. I have some Cole Haan, but I don't find them any better than the J & M. The Alden and AE are definitely better looking and feel better. My most comfortable cowboy boots are from Heritage. They all get polished whenever they need it. Lots of shoe trees. All lined up in the closet, with out of season shoes stored in a large container.

I no longer own a pair of shoes....

When I walk between rooms in doors, I wear grey Crocs, they're comfortable, easy to slip on and off and as I only wear them indoors it's only once in a blue moon anybody sees them

During the summer my choice of footwear is lightweight and comfortable, but also provides support to my ankles
Daytime....

Dark blue High-Top Converse All Star
Black/white Puma High-Top (similar shape to Puma Ferrari)
Brown antique leather zip-up "Wellington" boots

Night time.....

Dark brown antique leather cap toe 8 eyelet lace/zip up boots
Dark brown suede 8 eyelet lace/zip up boots
Joseph Cheaney Black elastic sided Chelsea boots with wingtip pattern

Wet weather/winter.....

Black leather/canvas 9 eyelet Tactical boots
Black rubber / dark brown suede 4 eyelet Duck boots with detachable inner socks

<Florsheim make sure they have green stitching in the interior, because the new stock without the stitching is not quality.>
How long ago to you think that new old stock was made? I was under the impression that Florsheim has made nothing or little worthwhile for decades. As I recall, a company that underwent lots of changes in ownership.

<I liked the Johnson and Murphy Aristocrafts, but the quality seems to have slipped a bit over the last decade.>
Perhaps I have missed some good stuff. I remember J&M Aristocrats being about on par with AE about 30 or so years ago. I had a pair I wore for about 20 years with multiple re-soling. But then J&M, perhaps like Bass, seems to take an absolute dive in quality. Although I admit, I did not seem to see the Aristocrats around much.
Church does not seem to come up on this forum, much. There was a time when they seemed excellent and commanded a real premium in price. Then they seemed to go down hill a bit and them disappear completely. I wore a custom grade pair I have had for 30 years yesterday and am wearing a pair of Church penny loafers today. I do not wear either that often but they are both in great shape with little special care.

<Florsheim make sure they have green stitching in the interior, because the new stock without the stitching is not quality.>
How long ago to you think that new old stock was made? I was under the impression that Florsheim has made nothing or little worthwhile for decades. As I recall, a company that underwent lots of changes in ownership.

<I liked the Johnson and Murphy Aristocrafts, but the quality seems to have slipped a bit over the last decade.>
Perhaps I have missed some good stuff. I remember J&M Aristocrats being about on par with AE about 30 or so years ago. I had a pair I wore for about 20 years with multiple re-soling. But then J&M, perhaps like Bass, seems to take an absolute dive in quality. Although I admit, I did not seem to see the Aristocrats around much.
Church does not seem to come up on this forum, much. There was a time when they seemed excellent and commanded a real premium in price. Then they seemed to go down hill a bit and them disappear completely. I wore a custom grade pair I have had for 30 years yesterday and am wearing a pair of Church penny loafers today. I do not wear either that often but they are both in great shape with little special care.

Florsheim and J&M's quality have taken a steep decline in the last 20 years. The quality of Church's dress shoes have declined since they were bought by Prada but I believe another factor is prices have increased dramatically and their English shoe competitors have gotten better at making quality shoes.

<Florsheim and J&M's quality have taken a steep decline in the last 20 years.>
I would have said the steep decline came earlier for both. Earliest for Florsheim.

<The quality of Church's dress shoes have declined since they were bought by Prada but I believe another factor is prices have increased dramatically and their English shoe competitors have gotten better at making quality shoes.>

Church's closed its store in DC quite awhile ago, now. Seems that the only Church's store in the US now is the one in Chicago, with the implication being on the website that the NYC store will reopen at another location, someday. Barney's seems to carry them.

Wikipedia says Prada took over in 1999, so that makes sense, although, I would have said they were falling off before then. A steep decline would probably be an exaggeration, in my opinion. Looking at the prices on-line, I would not have said the prices went up dramatically since I last went to the DC store--they were very expensive then--but I admit I am not keeping up with full-priced top Brit shoe marks. Prices actually seem varied and up to 750 eur. 750 eur seems relatively high. Do they call all of their styles Custom Grade these days or is that still a distinguishing "grade"? Church's seems to have a much larger variety than it used to. Not a good sign to me.

<their English shoe competitors have gotten better at making quality shoes.>

That seems like a good thing!

Actually I have a recollection now of the last time I went to the Church's store in DC, and the salesman telling me the custom grade calf shoes I had would be over $800 at that time!

Top Bottom