What's new

Let's talk dress shoes...

I have switched from conventional dress shoes to western boots. I must have around 10 pair of Lucchese, Heritage, and other brands, but the Lucchese and Heritage are my favorites. I find them more fashionable and stylish and much more comfortable to wear. Do they raise some eyebrows? Maybe a few, but I've gotten a lot more compliments on them.

I like westerns but not to have to stand in most of the day as I have to when working. I also have a very narrow foot so finding off the shelf boots to fit is just about impossible. I do have three pair of custom made, the first in sharkskin , about 25 years old, made in the SAS (ladies shoes) custom bootmaking shop which no longer exists. I had another pair made of the same material a few year later but they were too tight and had sent them back. A contractor was on the roof doing some kind of heating/airconditing work and set something on fire which got out of control. Needless to say my boots went up in the blaze.

I contacted the gentleman who ran that shop and he remembered and did not know what the company was going to do about that operation and advised me to wait a month or so. They decided not to resume production. He asked what I paid for them and based on my report sent me a refund check. A year or so later he went independent, and when my son graduated from UT in Austin, we ran down to San Antonio and had a pair made for each of us in alligator, and I got one more pair a few years later, my newest pair being about 15 years old and still look like new.

I have several pairs of Allen Edmunds, I wear and 8.5 B and shoes for me are hard to find. Allen Edmunds has the best selection I’ve found, if anyone knows of other manufacturers who have short, narrow sizes please let me know.

Larry

I have a half dozen pairs of Johnson & Murphy shoes as they have an outlet store not too far from my house. They are in the closet on the floor so nothing special in terms of storage. I find myself wearing the more casual pairs more frequently than the others which are a bit more formal.

2 Clark’s bike toe loafers. Cheap but surprisingly comfortable.
2 Florsheim, a nice leather sole penny loafer and a black dress loafer that gets use for funerals.
Red Wing USA work boots, resoled one time. Amazing boots.
Now 2 pair AE a cap toe derby and a Chelsea. I haven’t worn either yet but they are beautiful!
Made USA tennis shoes nb. 2 or 3 pair in rotation from wearing out to mowing lawn.
Several Clark canvas loafers from nice to junk.

Looking at Alden’s but trying not to look too hard!

Dress shoes?? Here in South Central Appalachia??
Well...a pair of Dan Post boots in black cherry, Tecovas in Desert tan calfskin and Ariats in dark brown pretty much fill the bill.
But, a pair of black Bostonian cap toes and two pair of Bass Weejuns lurk in the bowels of the closet. Along with....
Two pair of custom made Daytons, mostly for riding the Harley. A pair of beat to hell Red Wings, some Chacos, couple pair of Clarks Desert Boots..some Hi-Tec hiking boots, and a pair of LL Bean Camp Moccasins..and some other stuff.

I have 4 pair, 2 pair of Stacy Adams, a pair of Johnston & Murphys, and a pair of Bostonians. I don't alway wear them since I wear jeans most of the time. I usually only put on a suit and dress shoes in official capacity.

dress/formal shoes. i have a thing for alden:
cap toe bals in brown and black calf
cap toe oxfords in brown and tan calf
shell long wing in color 8
shell shortwing in cigar
shell NST loafer in color 8

<Florsheim and J&M's quality have taken a steep decline in the last 20 years.>
I would have said the steep decline came earlier for both. Earliest for Florsheim.

<The quality of Church's dress shoes have declined since they were bought by Prada but I believe another factor is prices have increased dramatically and their English shoe competitors have gotten better at making quality shoes.>

Church's closed its store in DC quite awhile ago, now. Seems that the only Church's store in the US now is the one in Chicago, with the implication being on the website that the NYC store will reopen at another location, someday. Barney's seems to carry them.

Wikipedia says Prada took over in 1999, so that makes sense, although, I would have said they were falling off before then. A steep decline would probably be an exaggeration, in my opinion. Looking at the prices on-line, I would not have said the prices went up dramatically since I last went to the DC store--they were very expensive then--but I admit I am not keeping up with full-priced top Brit shoe marks. Prices actually seem varied and up to 750 eur. 750 eur seems relatively high. Do they call all of their styles Custom Grade these days or is that still a distinguishing "grade"? Church's seems to have a much larger variety than it used to. Not a good sign to me.

<their English shoe competitors have gotten better at making quality shoes.>

That seems like a good thing!

Actually I have a recollection now of the last time I went to the Church's store in DC, and the salesman telling me the custom grade calf shoes I had would be over $800 at that time!

I have a few pairs of Church’s from the early 90s that have held up well! The newer ones are of lower quality!

These days I prefer AE which fit very well for me!

A Testoni...very well made and stylish Italian dress shoes. I have a black and brown pair, as well as a brown pair of their loafers.

However, lately I have just been wearing running shoes and jeans with a polo or Hawaiian shirt to work!

Vr

Matt

Top Bottom