What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks @oc_in_fwThese Sparrowhawks are quite small, still look impressive up there though!

A few more from yesterday with the 150-600mm + 1.4x converter.
All handheld between 410-550, iso 1000, 1/1600s, f8

View attachment 907412

View attachment 907403

View attachment 907404

View attachment 907405
View attachment 907406
View attachment 907407

These were all handheld 850mm f9 with varying shutter and aperture.

View attachment 907408
View attachment 907409
View attachment 907410
View attachment 907411

Really pleased, but some were not pin sharp, maybe I'm expecting too much? I'll do some test pics from a tripod soon and check the focus anyway.
WOW, some great photography there, lots of patience for you and the birds.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
When I got up this morning I heard something squeaking and saw the cat had something in his mouth. I thought it was a mouse and yelled at him to get it outside. He let go and something tiny flew out and into the corner behind some furniture. I shooed the cat out of the room and looked to see what it was. Here's what I found.
View attachment 886743

A female Ruby-Throated Hummingbird. She looked a little beaten up, but seemed more or less OK. I was letting her rest and trying to figure out how to get her back outside. When she noticed one of the other cats and freaked out, took off, and slammed into a couple walls, then just fell to the floor. I picked her up, she was breathing very hard and looked like she may even be seizing. I put her in an old ice cream tub with some holes cut in the lid and put her in a quiet corner. I didn't take any pics as I thought it was going to end badly. She just laid there on her side rapidly breathing tongue hanging out. I checked back every 10 min or so, still breathing, but just laying there. After about an hour when I checked she was standing up looking around! Another 10 min and she was trying to fly. I didn't want her to beat herself up any more so I took her outside and opened the lid.
View attachment 886744
Half of her tail feathers (left side) are missing and at least one from her right wing.
View attachment 886746
But that didn't slow her down too much.
View attachment 886747
View attachment 886748 View attachment 886749
View attachment 886750
In all the excitement I forgot to zoom I had 140mm available, but shot at 19! Micro 4/3 sensor so double those numbers for full frame equivalent. Here's a very heavily cropped and processed close up.
View attachment 886752 So happy she made it! :001_smile
Really need to put a bell on that cat!

Really good story. I loved it.

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
Got a few shots
fullsizeoutput_3ee.jpeg
of this guy today.
fullsizeoutput_3ed.jpeg

EB Newfarm

Cane? I'm Able!
I think it is a broad winged hawk or maybe a sparrow hawk? I am no expert though. I was worried about it because it allowed me to get so close. I took a few quick photos and left, not wanting to disturb it further.

Nice pics! A broad winged looks like a good possibility to me, there are so many that look pretty similar and I'm no expert either. It sure looks like you got pretty close, always neat to see something like that up close. I usually just see them on power lines while driving and they're mostly red tails, but I did see a smaller hawk very similar to this one just a couple days ago.

It looks like an immature red tail. Young hawks often seem brave or even tame in allowing a close approach, but hunger seems to be the reason for getting close to these types of birds. I've had young Cooper's hawks sitting on my steps, looking up at me as I look through the screen door, after missing a kill in front yard bushes.

Your model was intently concentrating on something... probably dinner or a just missed dinner!

Don

Just got back from holiday, we went on a cruise and I got a few shots of the gulls and seabirds near the the ship.
Not easy with the ship swaying, the birds zipping about and the waves making focusing a little interesting!!

Not sure what they all are, so feel free to jump in!

All taken with the Sigma 150-600mm C

These 3 were at 600mm

gulls3.JPG

gulls9.JPG

gulls20.JPG

These were all at 850mm with the 1.4x converter attached.

gulls26.JPG

gulls14.JPG

gulls13.JPG

gulls11.JPG

gulls17.JPG

Just got back from holiday, we went on a cruise and I got a few shots of the gulls and seabirds near the the ship.
Not easy with the ship swaying, the birds zipping about and the waves making focusing a little interesting!!

Not sure what they all are, so feel free to jump in!

All taken with the Sigma 150-600mm C

These 3 were at 600mm

View attachment 916182
View attachment 916183
View attachment 916184

These were all at 850mm with the 1.4x converter attached.

View attachment 916185
View attachment 916186
View attachment 916187
View attachment 916188
View attachment 916189
Awesome shots Warren!
The second to the last one makes penultimate mean what it sound like it should!:a14:

Top Bottom