What's new

Let's see your bird pictures!

Today I got to channel St. Francis of Assisi. (sp?) This worked a couple of times this week.
I made a point of wearing the same hat and same yellow jacket each day, so that I'm familiar to them as the guy that refills the silo feeder.
A bit blurry, because they're taken with an older iPod touch, and it was late in the day.
I think it's two different chickadees. There were up to five at once hanging around a few feet away.
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

⬆️ That's pretty neat.
It is. I was surprised at how easy it was. They've seen me refilling the solo feeder, so I wasn't starting from scratch.

One gimmick that works to get them interested and come close is to play a loop of recorded chickadee calls (from freesound.org) on my iPod, just using the small built-in speaker. I didn't use any recording that had more than 3 "dees" in the "chicka-dee-dee" call. More "dees" means "danger".

For those photos, I didn't have to use the recording because they were already in the area and they know me.

^^^

Looks like an immature Cooper's hawk, Moe.

By the way, I love the short films you made for Columbia, and I like good beer, too!

Don

Thank you, saves me some time looking up in the bird book. The immature part might explain why it didn’t act like most hawks around here. My days in front of the camera are over ;-) I like the “good” qualification for beer; as a 28 year home brewer I agree :)

Very nice!

Thank you, I am enjoying playing with my new D3500.

I managed to get out with the camera today for the first time in ages!

Went for a stroll along a local river and spotted a Kingfisher that I have seen before, so I got my first ever Kingfisher shots!
All still and no action shots though.

kingfisher.JPG

kingfisher2.JPG

kingfisher4.JPG

kingfisher7.JPG

kingfisher8.JPG

kingfisher9.JPG

kingfisher11.JPG

kingfisher13.JPG

kingfisher14.JPG

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman

Went for a stroll along a local river and spotted a Kingfisher that I have seen before, so I got my first ever Kingfisher shots!

View attachment 956824
View attachment 956825
View attachment 956826
View attachment 956827

View attachment 956828
View attachment 956829
View attachment 956830
View attachment 956831
View attachment 956832
Nice, very steady hand on your camera to get some great detail.

View attachment 956824
View attachment 956825
View attachment 956826
View attachment 956827

View attachment 956828
View attachment 956829
View attachment 956830
View attachment 956831
View attachment 956832
Spotted it again today, no camera with me, but at least it seems a regular pattern it sticks to!

Not a picture but a short video I took about 10 years ago in a fjord in Norway of a white-tailed eagle catching and eating a fish.

Apologies for the shakiness of the video, it was taken from the deck of a small fishing boat traveling at speed in freezing temperatures.

Top Bottom