What's new

Let the official DE <-> disposable war begin...

I like to use the Bic Metal when I travel w some Cremo Cream (brushless). Keeps the weight down and gets though airport security. Metal provides a decent shave too.....

Not to argue, but I lived in Sweden for 8 years and have been to Norway, Finland and Denmark and don't remember seeing a single bidet. In Portugal (where my parents live) there are bidets in every bathroom.

Maybe it's different in Sweden from the other Nordic countries. Where do you live?

From top to bottom this discussion goes... And it is just fine. I live in Finland and the key word is shower head, but it it used like the original bidee. Simply a 1.5 m hose and a shower with a push-button attached to the toilet sink tap. And voilà - washing your bottom or razor is easy as pie. And they are also quite handy when washing the floor as we have floor drains in every bathroom.

Every single modern private home (less than 20 years old) has one in every toilet/bathroom here in Finland and I have seen them also in Sweden. But have to admit that none in southern Europe where they prefer the original bidee. Nevertheless this newer contraption is also called bidee here in Finland where we have no classical bidees.

Are these a fair comprimise?? :biggrin:

proxy.php

Are these a fair comprimise??

The worst of both worlds. :biggrin:

I must say that generally I hate the amount of cheap plastic going up and the quality going down. Most tools, devices, machines are not anymore as well made as they used to be.

When I bought my Merkurs I thought that they would be made of stainless steel but even them are some kind of castable alloy. Are there any razors made of solid stainless steel - not sheet metal?

From top to bottom this discussion goes... And it is just fine. I live in Finland and the key word is shower head, but it it used like the original bidee. Simply a 1.5 m hose and a shower with a push-button attached to the toilet sink tap. And voilà - washing your bottom or razor is easy as pie. And they are also quite handy when washing the floor as we have floor drains in every bathroom.

Every single modern private home (less than 20 years old) has one in every toilet/bathroom here in Finland and I have seen them also in Sweden. But have to admit that none in southern Europe where they prefer the original bidee. Nevertheless this newer contraption is also called bidee here in Finland where we have no classical bidees.

I've seen what you're describing in Thailand and Brazil. Good system.

The Bic Metals aren't bad, if you can find them. I like the Sensor 3's as well. But I haven't used a disposable in years. The first time I used the Metals, though, I had blood welling up in like 4 places my first stroke across my face. I had no clue on shaving then, even with my Sensors. Too much pressure.

Hi Icecool.

In Portugal (where my parents live) there are bidets in every bathroom.

We can see the development of countries by those small differences!!:w00t: Yes every bathroom have a bidé here...What kind of people are you without bidés???

You...you...PERVERTS!!There are hotlines for those kinky preferences!!:ihih:

Il Cheapo, surely?

Nope - they were imported :001_smile The country of origin was nearer to Mexico than Italy.

But as I wrote earlier it is often very interesting to acknowledge the small differences between countries. Here in the EU you may cross borders without any border control and despite that on one side of the border you find shelves full of razors while on the other side of the border 5 km away you are pressed hard to find El Cheapo, Il Cheapo, La Cheapo, Das Cheapo or whatever.

I'll go out on a limb.

But first, an analogy: I am an avid, die hard fly fisher. We fly fishermen can be a snooty, snobby bunch. Some of us think the only way to catch a damn trout is with fly fishing gear, and then the only proper way to do so is with a dry fly. But the truth is, anyone with a match and a stick of dynamite can catch more fish over a lunch hour than all the fly fishers on the stream could catch in a year. The difference is the aesthetics. I happen to enjoy the practice of fly fishing more than other methods of fishing.

I think the same can be fairly said about our DE shave culture. There are lots and lots of ways to get a great and comfortable wet shave. IMHO, those of us who say using a DE razor and blades is absolutely, necessarily better than, say, straight razors, multi-blade cartridges, injectors or disposables is probably not being. . .thorough. The difference is aesthetics. I happen to enjoy DE shaving much more than any other type of shaving I have experienced.

We could start a forum or thread about the most comfortable multi-blade and disposable shaving devices and blades and find some that are excellent and some that are terrible. We happen to have the same debates about DE shaving devices and blades all the time. I submit that the single biggest difference (at least in producing the result) is mostly form over function.

So hold your head up, my friend. Shave with that disposable from time to time and do not feel embarrassed or guilt stricken at all. Be proud and celebrate your diversity ferheavensake. . . .just never let us catch you shaving your face with anything that plugs into an electrical outlet. . . :lol:

Shave on. . .

That's funny, last monday for some reason I wanted to try a disposable (to see if with my new learned technique/prep, would make a difference). So I grabbed the last one left from my disposable days.

Did my reg prep to either DE or straight shave, started on the right cheak and after about 5 strokes(not even shaving one cheak) it was flying directly to the bin!

I was happily finishing my shave with my Dovo that day, thinking how the hell I shaved for over 15 years with a disposable.

Due to my job once a week I have to shave with somthing other than a DE. There I said it once a week I use a cartridge razor. I currently use a King of Shaves and find it to be a suitable shave when I do not have the time to get a "good" shave. I will say this it makes me enjoy and appriciate my DE shaves the rest of the week.

Top Bottom