What's new

Less messy Method Shaving

I'm still a wetshaving newbie, but I got interested in trying MS and watched Mantic's videos demonstrating it. However, I am a soldier in the Army Reserve and when my unit trains I am often shaving outside or in a tent, etc. without a proper sink to wash up. One thing that I noticed is that MS seems to be pretty messy since you build the lather using the soap in the palm of your hand, then adding the activator, etc. Seeing Enchante's video of MS using the shaving cloth was even more messy. Are there any Method Shavers out there that have a much more tidier approach?

P.S.- Right now I mainly use soaps in travel containers and experimenting with the Proraso tub (still haven't figured that one out) to shave without getting messy and so I can easil stow it all away.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'm still a wetshaving newbie, but I got interested in trying MS and watched Mantic's videos demonstrating it. However, I am a soldier in the Army Reserve and when my unit trains I am often shaving outside or in a tent, etc. without a proper sink to wash up. One thing that I noticed is that MS seems to be pretty messy since you build the lather using the soap in the palm of your hand, then adding the activator, etc. Seeing Enchante's video of MS using the shaving cloth was even more messy. Are there any Method Shavers out there that have a much more tidier approach?

P.S.- Right now I mainly use soaps in travel containers and experimenting with the Proraso tub (still haven't figured that one out) to shave without getting messy and so I can easil stow it all away.
If you're looking for simplicity, read the following link

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

I thought it was crazy when I first read it but I tried it and it does exactly what it says - improves your skin and the comfort of your shave. I've been using only water for months and I am getting the best shaves of my life and I've been wet shaving for over forty years.

Doesn't sound like Method Shaving is going to be the way to go in your situation. There is a member here that might be of help, LewCrew6.

without something to hold the water while you are able to make the mix you might be out of luck. If I were in that sort of situation, I might be looking into shave sticks and a travel brush or maybe a brushless cream (Cremo Cream or possibly using Prorarso brushless). Both come in tube and should be able to fit in a pouch easily.

It's definitely doable without shaving at the sink, but you need access to a sink and a place to dump the dirty water. It seems like you have both? Just buy a small rubber bucket and fill it with water.

I shave at a desk with a small mirror and the bucket. I lay a towel down, build the mix with the cloth over the bucket and towel, trying to be careful, then I usually sit down and shave. To clean up, I just wrap the towels and put them aside, and dump the water in a large utility sink that's in the building (you could easily dump it outside some place, which I would do if "outside" was more convenient).

If you can carry a canteen cup, that can hold enough water to do the trick. I used a canteen cup and a backpack stove to heat the water. Also consider using a travel brush. I keep the primer in a Biore' plastic container. Past and cutting balm are in a smaller container that I asked Charles for and he sent to me. I have not used the cloth in the field, only garrison TDY trips. Again, I used the brush technique that Mantic shows on You Tube for the field. Another option is a metal salad bowl. I used that in OIF I with great success, though admittedly I was not a method shaver at the time. I Hardly any water used. The more you experiment with what you can do in garrison, the better feel you will have for what you can do in the field.

Method Shaving is messy. period. But you could use certain components seperate from the whole regime. Like just take the cube and cutting balm, and hand lather the cube and add the cutting balm. that should give more than a satisfactory shave.

You might need to break it down into components. If I ever have to shave in the field I honestly wouldn't method shave, but if I wanted to try it I think a hybrid would be in order: cutting balm as pre-shave oil, a good cream lathered up on a brush (maybe Speick), and then tonic and conditioner post-shave. That way you can cut down the mess, time spent, and hopefully packing headaches by using small bottles.

If you're looking for simplicity, read the following link

http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker65.html

I thought it was crazy when I first read it but I tried it and it does exactly what it says - improves your skin and the comfort of your shave. I've been using only water for months and I am getting the best shaves of my life and I've been wet shaving for over forty years.
Just out of curiosity, why would you post a link to a site that directly attacks and insults the very thing people on this site are passionate about?
It may very well be a viable alternative, but it needs to be presented as such. Not some rant about the modern world and how stupid and ignorant you are if you are a part of it.
The question was, "how can I utilize Method Shaving in a less messy way".
Do you have any suggestions to that end?
Brent.

To MaxJ: I apologize for the extended delay in replying to this, but I thought your suggestion was great and I will probably try it out soon. I especially like the idea of breaking down the method into its parts to find which works best under field conditions. Are you in the military too by any chance?

Top Bottom