What's new

Learning Guitar

So my game plan (currently) is to pick up a nice guitar (somewhere around $300). I'm guessing I'll be getting a new one as online searches didn't show me a whole lot of used lefty guitars in the area. Based on preliminary research, I think I'll up the amp budget a little bit and see what $150 to $200 can get me. After that it's case, strap, cable, strings, tuner, metronome, and headphones.

I'm going to spend some time watching videos on has to inspect a guitar, etc. I'll probably start shopping for one in the New Year. Looks like I have myself a New Years resolution!

Thanks everyone!

pick a reasonably cheap guitar at first.. so you can carry it anywhere and everywhere possible and practice..
as for picking the guitar..
go to as many stores, try as many guitars.. and choose the one most suitable for you..
some suggest, acoustic to electric.. the others will suggest electric to acoustic! but thats pure personal opinion. try both and buy the one that is more comfortable!

FWIW, I always got great service from a site calld sweetwater. Fast shipping and a personal advisor that really helped me pick out the right stuff.

Learning guitar can take you down some strange & fun paths. It's easy to get wrapped up in guitars, pedals, amps, tubes, cables, and other things that you'll encounter. If you want to learn to play make sure you focus on it - distractions are everywhere.

After trying a lot of gear and finding what I like took well over a year. This next year I'll focus on learning how to play.
Good luck & have fun!

There are plenty of left handed models out there, if you are having trouble finding one a guitar store should be able to introduce you to an introductory level one. If worse comes to worse, do it Jimi Style.

First: My advice is to walk in a quality music store and try a number of guitars in your price range. Don't settle on a shape or brand until you've picked it up, held it, and decided on what is comfortable and feels good to you. There are tons of manufacturers who make quality guitars for a reasonable price... Epiphone (Gibsons little brother), Fender, Ibanez, Jackson, Squier (Fenders little brother)... Most of all, choose a guitar that you like, you'll be more likely to play. As an example, I might be the only person who does not like Gibson guitars. For me and my small hands, I find their necks far to 'beefy' for my small fingers. I own a few, but I really don't play them as much as my Ibanez, or PRS.

Second: Line 6 makes a hell of a good practice amp for about $120, and can save you a ton of money on effects. Distortion, echo, chorus are all included.

Third: Getting good requires practice. Don't expect to play Van Halen any time soon. There is a reason he was Guitar Magazines 'Guitarist of the year' for 7 years in a row!

Fourth: There are a million quality 'free' guitar lessons on YouTube., they can get you started and save you a ton of money. I wish I had that available to me when I started.

Fifth: There is no right or wrong way to play the guitar! The Ramones did well, so does Stanley Jordan. Play what you like and like what you play!

Sixth: MOST IMPORTANTLY!!! HAVE FUN!!! If you are going to continue, it has to be something you want to do and look forward to.

Have fun with it. I've been playing for about 17 years. I don't play as much as I'd like, but it is great relaxation for me even if I get the urge and time to play for 30 minutes or so. I never took lessons, but rather just messed around with it and figured out what I could and couldn't do. I have a boss Tu-80 tuner/metronome that has been lying around, please p.m. me as you will need one (a tuner)as a beginner. Nothing special, can be used with acoustic and electric It's yours if you want it and save yourself 30 bucks.If you go the electric route, p.m. me as I have more things lying around that I would gladly pass on to a beginner.

Some toys.

Beautiful board! And a Shoe Gazer to boot!!

The Line 6 Spider IV looked like a good amp.

I've been looking at the Ibanez ART100. What's everyone's opinion on the lack of fret markers on the fretboard it self? Is that going to be a problem for a beginner, or since I haven't gotten familiar with fret markers will this not be a big deal?

I bought a used Mexican Strat and Mustang 1 amp. Both affordable and well made. I also agree with the Justin guitar web site suggestion. Have fun!

So my game plan (currently) is to pick up a nice guitar (somewhere around $300). I'm guessing I'll be getting a new one as online searches didn't show me a whole lot of used lefty guitars in the area. Based on preliminary research, I think I'll up the amp budget a little bit and see what $150 to $200 can get me. After that it's case, strap, cable, strings, tuner, metronome, and headphones.

I'm going to spend some time watching videos on has to inspect a guitar, etc. I'll probably start shopping for one in the New Year. Looks like I have myself a New Years resolution!

Thanks everyone!

Frank, that's a good plan. I'd recommend getting it at a big shop and having the tech do a quick set up. Make it part of the deal. "I'll buy all this stuff today if you do a set up on the guitar". The guys work on commission and they WILL bug the tech for a quick and dirty setup. Most of the new guitars don't exactly come with a good set up right out of the box.

Have fun with it. I've been playing for about 17 years. I don't play as much as I'd like, but it is great relaxation for me even if I get the urge and time to play for 30 minutes or so. I never took lessons, but rather just messed around with it and figured out what I could and couldn't do. I have a boss Tu-80 tuner/metronome that has been lying around, please p.m. me as you will need one (a tuner)as a beginner. Nothing special, can be used with acoustic and electric It's yours if you want it and save yourself 30 bucks.If you go the electric route, p.m. me as I have more things lying around that I would gladly pass on to a beginner.

Some toys.

here's an interview with KNab a couple of years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
The Line 6 Spider IV looked like a good amp.

I've been looking at the Ibanez ART100. What's everyone's opinion on the lack of fret markers on the fretboard it self? Is that going to be a problem for a beginner, or since I haven't gotten familiar with fret markers will this not be a big deal?

I was just playing one the other day. It's a hell of a guitar for the price. The fret markers are no big deal, you will find the dots on the side of the neck so you can find your position. With a little time and effort, you will 'feel' where you are on the neck and wont use the dots anyways.

The Line 6 and Ibanez is a solid combo in my opinion. I have been playing 30 years and still would not have an issue playing with that. It is what I would use as a 'practice' setup in my family room. So much easier (and quieter) to play than this or this... Seriously.

$aaas.jpg$aass.jpg

I have seven guitars! All but one Les Paul style. I have two that need strings. I could sell you one REALLY cheap! I need to move a couple to make room for, ummm... Razors! Brushes! Lol... PM if interested.

So, I have an interesting update...

While I have yet to pick up a guitar, SWMBO just got an Ibanez GRG20Z at the local GC today. She's right-handed, so I'll get a chance to see if i can handle strumming with my right hand. That would open up a whole world of possibilities for buying onsite.

Instead of a combo amp, we got a Vox AmPlug.

Now I just need to get her hooked on wet shaving....

Im gonna have to disagree with this statement. Electric are easier to play: Have a smaller body, thinner neck and use lighter gauge strings. The pickups and amp do the projecting of sound so a lighter touch and the lighter gauge strings makes it easier.

But you should get whatever guitar you want to play.

Checkout http://www.justinguitar.com he has free lessons online that are really well put together(he asks you to donate but you dont have to).

Also check out Rocksmith 2014 if you have a PS3, Xbox 360 or a PC that can run the game. Its like guitar hero but with a real guitar. You can use any electric guitar. It makes practice alot of fun and well worth the $60.00. Your kids might like it too and want to learn with you.

I agree with the Justin Guitar comment. The guy is real good and you can check his videos. The beauty of that is that the video lessons are graded as to level of difficulty.

I disagree with the "electrics are easier to play" comment. I've been playing for 44 years and started on an electric. I played until my fingers bled because the darned thing was a piece of crap. What I'm saying is that you can get the best electric in the world and it can be set up like crap...that will make the journey miserable and discourage you from continuing. On the other hand, you can get a properly set up acoustic which will be much easier to play, hence, encouraging your progress. Don't be fooled by the big name companies. There are plenty of lesser known manufacturers that make excellent guitars in your price range that would simply knock you out sonically. You could even start with a classical guitar. Although the strings are way easier on those, the width of the neck is wider and that would help you when it comes to stretching your fingers.....it's supposed to be fun, isn't it? My suggestion (and it is only a suggestion) would be for you to go to a music store with a friend who knows how to play and have him/her play a couple for you. You'll know the right one when you hear the right one. FWIW, I own five guitars...one classical, one electric, one 12 string and two acoustics. I can assure you one guitar does not play easier than the others...they all play easy. The only differences are that they all have their own character and they all please me in different ways. Just be ready to put in the time... get a metronome,practice your scales, your stretches and keep a record of your progress...ie; speed progress and such. Tracking your progress and seeing the improvements will allow you to keep on keeping on...hope this helps

Not a guitar player, but I am a music teacher, and a fellow lefty. My advice: learn to play right handed. Yes, there are left handed guitars out there, but you'll have more options if you just learn to do it right handed, not to mention all the mental gymnastics you have to play when reading instruction books and mirroring things for the left hand (I'm sure you're familiar with that already). I play tuba, trumpet, and trombone pretty regularly (in addition to many other instruments I play for work), and I play them all with my right hand. If you're starting from scratch, it won't be that much harder to learn. We lefties have a lifetime of experience learning to use our weak hand to do things just because the tools we use are designed that way. Instruments are no different (except the french horn...)

Top Bottom