What's new

Learning Guitar

I'd like to learn how to play the electric guitar. I'm hoping for some advice from the B&B members because of the strong understanding of YMMV here.

I've done some research online and quite frankly am feeling a little overwhelmed. I've bounced back and forth between what brand/style guitar to buy a couple times in the past 3 weeks.

So, I'll give some info about me and then lay out my thoughts and ideas. I'm interested in your opinions and learning from your experiences.

1. I'm a lefty.
  2. I'm in my 40s, married, and have a 4 year-old.
  3. salaried employee with a deadline driven job, so some days I work till 5 others till 7 or later as the project demands.
  4. I like rock and roll, anything from: AC/DC, Led Zep, The Stones, George Thorogood, Iron Maiden, Motorhead, The Sword, Van Halen, etc
  5. I'm not musically inclined. I've been told I couldn't carry tune in a bucket. I took piano lessons when I was 8 or 9 because we had a piano and I wanted to learn to play drums. My parents told me I could learn the drums if I took piano for a year. I didn't make it.

I've been looking primarily at Les Paul style guitars (although, I'm not opposed to using a Strat-style or explorer-style body) and I should have about $500 to invest (probably this spring, once the next major project wraps up at work). This will include everything, amp, strap, strings, case, etc...

So, my questions are:
  1. what should I do to prep myself when it comes time to pick a guitar? If I've never played guitar, how do I know or test one to see if I'll like it?
  2. Should I focus on buying a guitar that is as perfect as can be or do I pick a good quality but inexpensive model with the plan to trade it or sell it a year or so down the road and pick a new guitar once I have a better understanding of what I like?
  3. What's a good plan for lessons? Should I take some lessons to get me started and then learn on my own for a while, should a learn on my own for a while then take lessons?
  4. What should I look for in accessories? hard case vs soft, strings, strap, amp?
  5. When is it appropriate to refer to a guitar as an axe? :blush:

I think that's about it for now.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to hear from you.

Is this your first foray into learning guitar? I recommend learning on an acoustic and transitioning to electric. Learning on an acoustic will strengthen the fingers and hands giving you a better grasp on the basics.

As August has a point about the acoustic giving strength to your hand, an acoustic guitar in your price range will not likely be an instrument with setup to promote you to keep practicing. Most often the action is high and hard to play at first.

I also have a 4 and 2 year old and find it difficult to play or practice at home because they want to put their hands on the instrument too. So, I recommend that you get an electric and a small practice amp with headphone jack so that you can practice with minimum sound. This also can give you many options for ripping without the fear of bothering others while you build your confidence.

I have two acoustics, and two electrics, banjo, and two mandolins. My at home quiet practice guit is a Fender Squire Affinity Tele. The squires are not all that great but the affinity series is quite a bit better. I changed the pickups to reduce noise. Single coil pickups are known for being noisy especially lower end guitars with them.

now the Les Paul most likely has humbucker pickups and they are know for being better in the noise department. Epiphone makes a decent guitar and their Les Paul styles are pretty nice. With the electrics the setup is much more mechanical and less craftsman or luthier work so if it plays difficult you can get a setup job to fix many issues.

I do think that the practice amp with headphones is going to be a good fit with your family life and work. Start with the basics and learning chords. Since the holidays are upon us, I would say pick a Xmas tune or two. Do a google search for the tune + chords and lyrics. Learn those chords and the tune. It will be a simple tune that you should recognize so you don't get frustrated. Once you have some chords built up in your bag then try picking one of your favorites doing a similar internet search.

If you have any more questions specifically, feel free to PM me. I may also be available to do a Skype lesson or two.

hope this helps

Is this your first foray into learning guitar? I recommend learning on an acoustic and transitioning to electric. Learning on an acoustic will strengthen the fingers and hands giving you a better grasp on the basics.
Im gonna have to disagree with this statement. Electric are easier to play: Have a smaller body, thinner neck and use lighter gauge strings. The pickups and amp do the projecting of sound so a lighter touch and the lighter gauge strings makes it easier.

But you should get whatever guitar you want to play.

Checkout http://www.justinguitar.com he has free lessons online that are really well put together(he asks you to donate but you dont have to).

Also check out Rocksmith 2014 if you have a PS3, Xbox 360 or a PC that can run the game. Its like guitar hero but with a real guitar. You can use any electric guitar. It makes practice alot of fun and well worth the $60.00. Your kids might like it too and want to learn with you.

Im gonna have to disagree with this statement. Electric are easier to play: Have a smaller body, thinner neck and use lighter gauge strings. The pickups and amp do the projecting of sound so a lighter touch and the lighter gauge strings makes it easier.

But you should get whatever guitar you want to play.

Checkout http://www.justinguitar.com he has free lessons online that are really well put together(he asks you to donate but you dont have to).

Also check out Rocksmith 2014 if you have a PS3, Xbox 360 or a PC that can run the game. Its like guitar hero but with a real guitar. You can use any electric guitar. It makes practice alot of fun and well worth the $60.00. Your kids might like it too and want to learn with you.

I agree. Electrics are much easier to play. My teacher many years ago insisted that all his new students learn on acoustic and transition to electric. He did not want to make it easier. Definitely a philosophy that can be disputed but I have always taught that way.

I have been playing guitar for 26 years and have been doing it professionally for the last 13. I too had a few teachers that did not care if I thought it was easy or not. I have owned a dozen acoustics from Alverez, Epiphone, Martins, Taylor's, Collings, Santa Cruz, and the like. I have owned Gibson Les Paul's, Tele, Strat, PRS, and some custom one offs. All of which work the same way.

i will liken it to Straights. A brand new Mastro Livi razor does the same job as a Gold Dollar. However, the Livi is a hand-crafted masterpiece and the Gold Dollar a mass produced tool. When you get a Livi it is good to go and will hold an edge quite well for a good long time, whereas the Gold Dollar will need a bit of work to get it to the users liking and may need an edge touch up more often.

I would say that for a beginner, find a WD sight unseen used equivalent guitar. One that has been loved before and beat up a bit but has also been put in working order. Test your hand for a while before you buy the GD jewel in rough that will take some work to tune up or the Livi.

Not saying anything about work ethic in anyone involved in this thread but a slightly smaller neck, lower action strings, and the ability to play into headphones will allow a newbie to play longer without fatigue and or flack from a peanut gallery at home.

If you find that you've found joy and ability and feel like you want to upgrade, trade in your first or hang on to it as a reminder and move on to a Dovo or TI, and later or whatever get you a BB or Lewis or even a Livi.

Most of all have fun, don't get frustrated.

as for the left hand thing, most electrics can be strung upside down will no ill effect but may just need a little tweaking with an Allen wrench.

Don't overthink your first guitar purchase. There are very few guitars made today that would not be suitable for an entry-level instrument. Forget about buying a guitar so you can sound like your favorite rock star. The guitar choice has only a small role in that.

Some people are good self-learners, some not. If you really think you have no musical talent, you should definitely take lessons.

Also understand that learning an instrument is not easy, but it is most definitely fun. So enjoy!

Have fun with it. I've been playing for about 17 years. I don't play as much as I'd like, but it is great relaxation for me even if I get the urge and time to play for 30 minutes or so. I never took lessons, but rather just messed around with it and figured out what I could and couldn't do. I have a boss Tu-80 tuner/metronome that has been lying around, please p.m. me as you will need one (a tuner)as a beginner. Nothing special, can be used with acoustic and electric It's yours if you want it and save yourself 30 bucks.If you go the electric route, p.m. me as I have more things lying around that I would gladly pass on to a beginner.

Some toys.

Last edited:
I suggest you look for a used Epiphone, either Les Paul or SG, which ever you prefer. Excellent condition used Epi's can be bought for under $300, and they are darn close to pro level guitars (and some pros do use Epi's). I also suggest you buy a guitar chord book, then go on the internet on a Guitar Tab website, and print out the tabs/chords to your favorite songs, and go at it.

This is my advice, and it has nothing to do with techniques or guitar choice or anything. Its about fun:

Get yourself a tuner so you know you'll be in tune.
Whatever amp you get, make sure it has a decent distortion channel.
Learn to play power chords.
Crank up the amp and play those power chords.

When you hit your first low E power chord with the volume up, you'll sound like a rockstar, you'll feel like a rockstar, and you'll likely be hooked. :)

Like I said, all about the fun of playing an electric, and thats what its all about. :biggrin1:

Just get this and be done with it.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Electric-Guitar-Player-Pack-108285511-i2694900.gc

Seriously, I've been playing guitar since high school and have a couple acoustics I tool around on but I am eyeing this les paul model for myself to start fiddling with electrics. Just seems like something fun to get into and this kit with guitar, amp, bag, cords, etc. makes it easy for not much dough.

They have a squier affinity strat pack too for 249 bucks. also a great deal with everything included on a guitar that was already recommended in the thread.

Thank you for the advice everyone, and the generous offers of gear and lessons! What a fine group of gentlemen you all are, even if you all aspire to be degenerate rockstars. :scared::thumbup1:

I agree that a practice amp with a headphone jack is a must. Is there anything I should look out for/avoid?

I'll hit some store in the next month or (have to work on memorizing the power chords in the mean time) and just try some things out. I have to admit, even though I knew Hendrix restrung his first guitar upside down so he could play it lefty, it never occurred to me to consider that. I was limiting myself to a lefty only model. While I think I would still prefer a lefty only model, you never know.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
My first and most important recommendation is that you find a teacher - even if you only take two or three lessons. Learning the correct technique will make everything much easier in the long run. You should be able to ask the teacher for some help selecting a guitar.

You can't simply string a right handed guitar to be lefthanded - you need to reverse the nut and the bridge may be a problem as well. Finding a left handed used guitar will not be as easy as a right handed, but will be your best bang for the dollar.

I would go one of two ways:
1. Get a very cheap new guitar (Fender Bullet Squire or the like) for under $150 dollars with the idea that you will play it until you find out how serious you are and it will be worth very little on a trade-in for a better instrument.
2. Get a better used guitar. This will cost you considerably more money, but will lose little of it's value if you want something different.

I've purchased about a dozen guitars using method #2 and rarely lose more than a few bucks. Being left handed will make this more of a challenge in the search department.

Part of the decision has to do with how serious you think you might be about the whole process. If you're talking about learning how to be a good guitar player you don't need an amp, or a strap - you just need the guitar. I won't be very loud, but you can hear it.

If you really want to make a lot of noise right away you need an amp. Be careful with headphones - ears are not replaceable.

I usually recommend young students start with a classical guitar and learn how to read music. In your case I see no reason to go that route. If you put in some time I think you will find it doesn't take very long to be able to play the songs you're interested in. It will take a while if you want to play Jimmy Page's solos.:wink2:

Thank you for the advice everyone, and the generous offers of gear and lessons! What a fine group of gentlemen you all are, even if you all aspire to be degenerate rockstars. :scared::thumbup1:

I agree that a practice amp with a headphone jack is a must. Is there anything I should look out for/avoid?

I'll hit some store in the next month or (have to work on memorizing the power chords in the mean time) and just try some things out. I have to admit, even though I knew Hendrix restrung his first guitar upside down so he could play it lefty, it never occurred to me to consider that. I was limiting myself to a lefty only model. While I think I would still prefer a lefty only model, you never know.
If you are a lefty and a beginner, then get a lefty guitar. Playing a right handed guitar for you will not be as simple as stringing it differently. What needs to be done isn't extremely difficult, but as a beginner you may cause yourself a bit of frustration when all you want to do is play the thing.

As many have said, buy used. Since youre into metal youll need an amp with built in effect (Fender, Vox ...)) or buy a MG series practice amp, they sound very much like a tube driven Marshall (all your heros used them). Buy the best guitar you can buy (thats where the music starts). A $10 guitar will never play well. A tuner is needed. My iphone has an app, it works very well. Taking classes is ideal but you can do very well with fake books & downloaded tabs.
Most importantly have fun. If youre having fun, youll want to do it more. To play well , it will take practice.
Good luck & have fun

Hi Frank
If you would like lessons or help , I am in the town next to you. I have been teaching guitar for my living since I was 15 years old. Pm me if you are interested..
Paul

I have been playing for 16 years and the first thing I have to say is that instruction is always a plus. Do not rush yourself. Some people like to start out with chords, but taking the time to learn how to sight read I think is often over looked. This often involves learning the guitar string by string with a few frets, but will help develop your fingers and understanding of music. When you get into chords be sure to play every note individually to make sure you have a proper fingering. Along with a tuner, be sure to get a metronome. This will help to keep time and will greatly improve your ability to play. A metronome will be imperative for your success once you find yourself playing songs, learning scales and new techniques. Acoustics do have their advantage, like just being able to grab and play. But, Highway to Hell is not the same as on an electric and headphones are hard to find for acoustics (duh). Also, when you start getting the craft down be sure to keep your mind and ears open to try different styles. My instructor took me from speed metal to blues then classical. As a result, I have been able to keep up with musicians that have played in more bands and have a good understanding of music. Take it slow and be very eager to learn. Once you start to develop some skill with the instrument you will have undoubtedly unlocked a life long passion. You will be able to build your fingers just fine on an electric. But if you like a one item purchase than get an acoustic. There are Squier and Epiphone starter packs that are very affordable. Also, another option could be looking on Craigslist. Best of luck on learning how to play! Here are a couple of ideas to help you get going.
This an amp I got for practicing it has good tone and some built in effects:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Champion-40-Guitar-Combo-Amp-109156968-i3120264.gc

Here are some starter priced guitars to check out:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Jackson-JS22-Dinky-DKA-Electric-Guitar-109144824-i3104026.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-100-Electric-Guitar-100112670-i1150096.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GRGM21-Mikro-Electric-Guitar-103844742-i1275947.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...ric-Guitar-with-Tremolo-106199383-i1559837.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-CD-140S-All-Mahogany-Acoustic-Guitar-109577288-i3332053.gc

A starter pack:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...r-Pack-w--10G-Amplifier-108120676-i2613561.gc

Just be aware with the starter packs, the guitars are generally of low quality (good to start learning on). And the amps suck (but they produce sound). But, if you are learning to play it may not be a bad route to go. Also, if you find your self disinterested then you have a guitar and amp set aside for your child to learn on.

I hope that helps. If there is not a Guitar Center near by check out any local store. I generally recommend more locally owned smaller shops, particularly in regards to repaid. However, the various Guitar Targets are a great spot to go to when getting started. Just be aware of high pressure sales. You do not need a new American Standard Stratocaster or Les Paul to learn how to play. When you start to get confident in your ability to play dish out some cash and enjoy what could very well be one of the best purchases you have made in your life!

Top Bottom