What's new

League of Extraordinary Mild Shavers

I've never shaved with a straight razor and have always imagined it to be rough and dangerous, so your comment about the mildness and efficiency of an AS D2 compared to a straight razor shave is a surprising comparison. I've used Feathers with the AS D2, and they work great. You hit the nail on the head with surgical precision: angle, angle,angle. Get that right and a great shave is ensured.
If you don't keep the skin taunt and get the angle plus the stroke right with a straight razor these things happen.
  1. Just right, the spine is barely off your taunt skin and you're moving the blade with almost no pressure, and you get a very smooth stroke. (Your removing lather, the fur comes off with the lather...)
  2. A bit to much angle... irritated skin
  3. A bit more than #2... blood spots from the tiny divots you've made
  4. A bit more than #3...you're concerned and worried about how well you can clean up your face
  5. A bit more than #4...you're concerned about your selection, type and quantity, of available Band-Aids, not to mention the mess you've made in the bathroom
  6. A bit more than #5...self-debate about stitches/crazy glue and seeing your far better half...
  7. A bit more than #6...yup time to get some stitches
  8. A bit more than #7...911
The vast majority of my shaves are #1s. I don't get #2s anymore. When I am forced to rush #3 can happen near the corners of my mouth. When it does I stop rushing.

Like most straight razor users I do remember #4 and #5. Hope I never experience #s 6, 7, or 8. My #5 happened when a sneeze snuck up on me. Just a shallow 2" line but it made quite a mess.

I like my feather as-d2 but it has to have a sharp blade or else it’s horrible. My Rockwell 6s on the other hand, plate 2 and any blade I put in works just fine. Not the closest shave but just so pleasant and hassle free.

The Feather AS-D2 forces one to mimic the best/most efficient angle used by experienced straight razor users. To little or to much angle and the results are minimal. Just right and you get a smooth and efficient shave. Like a straight razor, the blade needs to be sharp or the flat angled blade doesn't cut into the fur.

Top Bottom