What's new

Le Grise protocol.

I know many of us have fallen short in keenness, smoothness and/or aggressiveness when Le Grise are considered as opposed to other coticule veins. Using the Dilucot as a template I tried to figure out what changes can be made to max out on a Le Grise and found the following to work on a small sampling of razors I've be tested so far. Using the traditional Dilucot, double up the stroke count and procedure on the last dilution ( this will produce a lot of scarf ) and eliminate the water only portion of the exercise, go straight to linen and leather stropping.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Interesting. On the last stage of the dilutions are you using consistent pressure throughout or progressively getting lighter?

I've had a few La Grise, finishing on water only meant under running water, going uphill.
Otherwise - had to finish on very light slurry and be done.

Interesting. On the last stage of the dilutions are you using consistent pressure throughout or progressively getting lighter?

I used normal pressure throughout and let the broken down swarf do the work, the finishing x and other strokes are lighter than normal.

I've had a few La Grise, finishing on water only meant under running water, going uphill.
Otherwise - had to finish on very light slurry and be done.

Water only finishing feels as if it almost sets the edge back, very weird and illogical.

Water only finishing feels as if it almost sets the edge back, very weird and illogical.

On every La Grise, but one I think - traditional water only laps did set the edge back.
Going uphill against a light flow of water eliminated the auto-slurry issue while faking a ligher touch.
Nothing I want to be doing on a regular basis.

Last edited:
Uphill strokes against a light flow of water would take a lot of planning for me to execute, I wouldn't want to do that on a regular basis either. The shave test on two of the razors went really well.

I actually do that sometimes when I am doing coti finishes on certain stones. Idk if there is an aquaplaning effect or what, but it produces gains.

For me La Grise hones are all about pressure. I turn the pressure up a notch and the lap count up a notch and they behave well for me. Very standard dullicot procedures other than increased pressure.

I've been trying to figure out my La Dressante and probably have spent around 100 hours with it. Last night I discovered that the key to keenness with this coti, at least in my hands, was going uphill under lightly running water (Thanks to kcb5150 for suggesting it for La Dressante, and to Gamma for the uphill trick)

I had previously tried running water, but due to difficulty of successful execution, because of uncomfortable position, and too much water, I hadn't succeeded. Last night was a great relief!

Hello Gentlemen, thank you for starting this thread. I am now a proud owner of a Grise, and am looking forwards to hearing the experienced honers set out some protocols that have given results! Has anyone tried finishing on lather, if clear water is problematic?

Never assume anything - the only way to know what does or does not work for you with your stone is to test.

Hello Gentlemen, thank you for starting this thread. I am now a proud owner of a Grise, and am looking forwards to hearing the experienced honers set out some protocols that have given results! Has anyone tried finishing on lather, if clear water is problematic?

Welcome to B&B. Not that I'm an expert or constant champion of coticules, but I think a lot may depend on the prior stone or stones being used as well as the stroke and the grip of the shank/tang. The way I was shown, the coticule was only used with water, with the slurry stone being used to clear swarf build-up. This was preceded by a BBW used in the same way, preceded by a Norton 1000 (which I'm not personally advocating). Following this, I've found the grise coticule in my possession to work well enough with just water, hand held. No running water, just an occasional splash of standing water from a dish with the fingers as the spirit dictates. Mine is vein-streaked like a grey version of a veinette.

Lather on a coticule has worked well for me in treating edges that seem too harsh during the shave, sort of like using the stone as a barber's hone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom