What's new

Le cough

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Been trying out the Nautilus mini I got SWMBO for Christmas. I first tried her 18 mg level juice, and skipped the 24 mg that I got for myself after my reaction to the 18. I got a 0mg bottle and mixed with the 24 to get a 12. The problem with all of them is the COUGH when I try to smoke. I can inhale Prince Albert, Granger, Escudo, or other mild/smooth pipe tobacco without a problem. Sooo...still smoking cigs. since the vape thing I can't seem to inhale without a fit.

I've "heard" to combat the cough turn the battery down to its lowest setting and/or open the air holes all the way, go to a lower nic. level (which I've done all of the above and it didn't help) or go to a higher vg content in the juice, which I haven't tried yet. I saw somewhere that said it just takes some time to get used to it.

Anyone have any other hints, tips, tricks?

What's your PG to VG ratio? Some of us, me included, are sensitive to PG and find that the associated 'throat hit' is too unpleasant to deal with.

If you are using a high PG concentration, try to go to something like a 70/30 vg to pg and see if that makes a difference. I personally use 100% VG.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It doesn't say on the bottle, but the shop sells Mountain Oak Vapors brand. Their website shows the blends I have are 50/50. I got SWMBO the Hey Jack, which is supposed to be a maple cavendish blend at 18mg, I picked up some menthol for me since I smoke menthol..the Cool Ice one at 24mg that I mixed with the 0mg, and the Heavenly 7 Rich Chocolate Pie one for the wife at 18mg. We haven't tried the chocolate one yet, and she doesn't seem real interested in the e-cig anyway.

http://www.mountainoakvapors.com/category-s/1851.htm

I may go back by the shop and see what they have in a higher vg content.

Edit: The wife doesn't seem to have a problem with coughing...just me.

I may just try the Prince Albert, or some Carter Hall, and the Escudo for a bit...but that's not as convenient...having to pack the pipe and all. With the e-cig just pick it up and puff...not even any lighting.

Last edited:
It may be the PG as Brooksie said. Have you tried just vaping the 0mg by itself and seeing if that makes you cough? Because that would rule out that the nicotine is a factor.

Get yourself some 70/30 juice, I wouldn't go higher because your Nautilus will have trouble due to the viscosity of VG.

nicotine levels have a lot to do with it as well,... I lung hit, which helps, also use lower levels like 3-6mg and find I have no issues as the liquid is much smoother.

mouth to lung can be more dramatic then pulling right to your lungs, but on my mini the air flow isnt high enough to do a lung hit without cracking my mouth a bit to help with the intake, although doing that makes for a bigger more satisfying vape

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
It may be the PG as Brooksie said. Have you tried just vaping the 0mg by itself and seeing if that makes you cough? Because that would rule out that the nicotine is a factor.

Get yourself some 70/30 juice, I wouldn't go higher because your Nautilus will have trouble due to the viscosity of VG.

Yup, tried the 0mg when sampling flavors at the shop...still coughed a bit. Just tried the 0mg again this morning. Tried holding the smoke in my mouth a bit then gently inhaling, or doing a straight inhale, and still got a coughing fit. The only time I don't cough is if I take a very light pull and get almost no smoke...so light of a hit that no smoke comes out when I exhale.

I'll try the 70/30 and see if the lower pg content helps. If I can't find something that I can inhale...that totally defeats the purpose of my trying an e-cig. I'd be better off with a pipe...can inhale the mild 'baccy and not inhale the strong stuff for a nic. hit through my nose and mouth receptors. Had a nice bowl of Irish Flake last night and just for grins I tried to inhale a small bit...bad move. :scared:

Yup, tried the 0mg when sampling flavors at the shop...still coughed a bit. Just tried the 0mg again this morning. Tried holding the smoke in my mouth a bit then gently inhaling, or doing a straight inhale, and still got a coughing fit. The only time I don't cough is if I take a very light pull and get almost no smoke...so light of a hit that no smoke comes out when I exhale.

I'll try the 70/30 and see if the lower pg content helps. If I can't find something that I can inhale...that totally defeats the purpose of my trying an e-cig. I'd be better off with a pipe...can inhale the mild 'baccy and not inhale the strong stuff for a nic. hit through my nose and mouth receptors. Had a nice bowl of Irish Flake last night and just for grins I tried to inhale a small bit...bad move. :scared:

If 0mg still made you cough then it is almost definitely the PG. Try 70/30 and upwards, all in 0mg. You can even get pure VG, but that will be too thick.
Hopefully the 70% sorts you out. Good luck mate, and let us know how it goes.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Wait! I just had a great idea. Allow me to introduce myself. I am J. Pierpont Ouch, father of homeopathic vaping. By repeatedly diluting preparations of juice far beyond the point at which there are no remaining molecules of active ingredient, I can simultaneously
  • bypass all of those meddlesome tobacco laws
  • provide a truly safe smoking platform
  • bring eSmoking into the 21st century, replete with modern quackery

Now if you will all excuse me, I have an appointment at the local Ferrari dealer. I'm going to be really really rich!

At the point you are at 0mg, you might as well be making your own juice. And some people will still vape for the pleasure of vaping because it tastes good and feels nice.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
How is that even a bottle?

Gee, how come everyone else realized I was talking about 0mg nicotine content and not the amount of liquid in the bottle???

Ouch...you're going to have to quit drinking so early in the day. :biggrin1:

If 0mg still made you cough then it is almost definitely the PG. Try 70/30 and upwards, all in 0mg. You can even get pure VG, but that will be too thick.
Hopefully the 70% sorts you out. Good luck mate, and let us know how it goes.

The pg was it. I couldn't find any 70/30, but one shop had a brand with no pg, Mythos brand; their website says it looks like a 70/30 blend. It's not real thick, but thicker than the 50/50. The guy at the shop said it should work in the Nautilus but I may have to turn the battery up. The 0mg nicotine content sample I tried at the store worked just fine...no cough.

They only had 6mg vitamin N as the highest as apparently they are targeting the mech. mod. users. I tried it in the Nautilus and no cough, but it did seem a bit thick so I mixed it 50/50 with the 50/50 24mg vitamin N one I have...Ouch, are you following or am I going to fast for you? :001_smile

It seems to be working okay now,...much, much better. I still can get a bit of a cough if I take too big of a hit but I think it's something I can work with now.

Thanks for all the advise guys.

Last edited:
You'll get used to it too. THink about when you had your first smoke? You probably coughed too. It's a different sensation/feeling so you'll have to become accustomed to it.

If you get into building your own coils with drippers etc, 100%vg works fine.

Gee, how come everyone else realized I was talking about 0mg nicotine content and not the amount of liquid in the bottle???

Ouch...you're going to have to quit drinking so early in the day. :biggrin1:

The pg was it. I couldn't find any 70/30, but one shop had a brand with no pg, Mythos brand; their website says it looks like a 70/30 blend. It's not real thick, but thicker than the 50/50. The guy at the shop said it should work in the Nautilus but I may have to turn the battery up. The 0mg nicotine content sample I tried at the store worked just fine...no cough.

They only had 6mg vitamin N as the highest as apparently they are targeting the mech. mod. users. I tried it in the Nautilus and no cough, but it did seem a bit thick so I mixed it 50/50 with the 50/50 24mg vitamin N one I have...Ouch, are you following or am I going to fast for you? :001_smile

It seems to be working okay now,...much, much better. I still can get a bit of a cough if I take too big of a hit but I think it's something I can work with now.

Thanks for all the advise guys.
ya, I wouldnt do that if I were you... The ouch comment I mean, not the mixing stuff

Its definitely the vg/pg as i had the same problem. When i started vaping i smoked more like a pack a week (yeah was never a heavy smoker) but once i cut down to when i drink only i found vaping to cause coughing depending on my setup. Luckily my wife works at a shop that sells this stuff so i was able to trouble shoot. For me the variable voltage is now useless to me since the one i have is 7.5 to 12.5. New setup im getting is around 5 and vapes better, but once i tried the more vg liquid in my setup it was much easier. I have yet to try with nicotine. That will be next once my wifes shop gets some new stuff in for me to try.

Top Bottom