What's new

Laziness as a virtue

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The ants have had things their way long enough! Time for the grasshoppers to rise up!

Btw the Procrastinators Society has a meeting... tomorrow.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
There you go being logical again!
1574713796277.png

shavefan

I’m not a fan
When I was a youngster in grade school I had a really hard time memorizing stuff, which was bad for my grades. However, in math, while I may not have been able to memorize formulas I simply learned to work out equations in my head, my own way. I'd almost always get the answer right but would get poor grades because I couldn't "show the work" that the class taught. Bummer.

Point is, I discovered a more efficient way (for me) to sort out the problem. I wasn't "lazy" by not remembering the formulas. In hind sight it would have been nice to have someone recognize my strength's and weakness's in this regard early on. No matter really because my epiphany was that sometimes there are other ways to do things, often faster and with less input. Efficiency.

Later in life, when I was in sales for a huge global corporation I had a truly great boss early on. He didn't care how we got to our sales goal as long as we got there. He gave a wide leash and a lot of freedom to the sales field which was perfect for me. I consistently was a top performer and exceeded my sales goals. It was great, I flourished. A few years into it we got a new management team and they changed the game. Our metrics were put on a spread sheet and if we didn't hit the metrics our pay and bonuses were reduced. No matter if our sales goal was met or exceeded. One year I exceeded my goal by a rather large percentage (#1 in the organization that year) but my yearly review marks were deemed "average" by my boss and I was denied a substantial raise and some bonuses. Why? Because I didn't hit the metrics (X number of calls a week, X number of quotes per month, etc. etc.). The fact is, I didn't need to meet the metrics in order to succeed. I simply discovered a more efficient way to do my job. I quit that job not long after and I heard from a colleague that one manager said about me after I quit, "no great loss, that guy didn't work very hard anyway". I guess he thought I was lazy. So much for efficiency...

When I was a youngster in grade school I had a really hard time memorizing stuff, which was bad for my grades. However, in math, while I may not have been able to memorize formulas I simply learned to work out equations in my head, my own way. I'd almost always get the answer right but would get poor grades because I couldn't "show the work" that the class taught. Bummer.

Point is, I discovered a more efficient way (for me) to sort out the problem. I wasn't "lazy" by not remembering the formulas. In hind sight it would have been nice to have someone recognize my strength's and weakness's in this regard early on. No matter really because my epiphany was that sometimes there are other ways to do things, often faster and with less input. Efficiency.

Later in life, when I was in sales for a huge global corporation I had a truly great boss early on. He didn't care how we got to our sales goal as long as we got there. He gave a wide leash and a lot of freedom to the sales field which was perfect for me. I consistently was a top performer and exceeded my sales goals. It was great, I flourished. A few years into it we got a new management team and they changed the game. Our metrics were put on a spread sheet and if we didn't hit the metrics our pay and bonuses were reduced. No matter if our sales goal was met or exceeded. One year I exceeded my goal by a rather large percentage (#1 in the organization that year) but my yearly review marks were deemed "average" by my boss and I was denied a raise and some bonuses. Why? Because I didn't hit the metrics (X number of calls a week, X number of quotes per month, etc. etc.). The fact is, I didn't need to meet the metrics in order to succeed. I simply discovered a more efficient way to do my job. I quit that job not long after and I heard from a colleague that one manager said about me after I quit, "no great loss, that guy didn't work very hard anyway". I guess he thought I was lazy. So much for efficiency...
Those metrics are how mediocre managers justify their existence in the corporate world. I'm working in just such a company right now. We're struggling company wide, so the decision is we'll have more meetings, more paperwork and more metrics until we start hitting goal again.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Those metrics are how mediocre managers justify their existence in the corporate world. I'm working in just such a company right now. We're struggling company wide, so the decision is we'll have more meetings, more paperwork and more metrics until we start hitting goal again.

I don't miss it. At all.

It was amazing how it went from a relatively nimble, outstanding division within that company to the image of mediocrity. In very short order. There was no way I could be a part of or stand witness to the whole demise.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"

Later in life, when I was in sales for a huge global corporation I had a truly great boss early on. He didn't care how we got to our sales goal as long as we got there. He gave a wide leash and a lot of freedom to the sales field which was perfect for me. I consistently was a top performer and exceeded my sales goals. It was great, I flourished. A few years into it we got a new management team and they changed the game. Our metrics were put on a spread sheet and if we didn't hit the metrics our pay and bonuses were reduced. No matter if our sales goal was met or exceeded. One year I exceeded my goal by a rather large percentage (#1 in the organization that year) but my yearly review marks were deemed "average" by my boss and I was denied a substantial raise and some bonuses. Why? Because I didn't hit the metrics (X number of calls a week, X number of quotes per month, etc. etc.). The fact is, I didn't need to meet the metrics in order to succeed. I simply discovered a more efficient way to do my job. I quit that job not long after and I heard from a colleague that one manager said about me after I quit, "no great loss, that guy didn't work very hard anyway". I guess he thought I was lazy. So much for efficiency...
My son has his first sales job. Loves it. I hated sales, and they hated me, lol.

My son is an odd duck: he says that numbers just "come to him" and stuff like that. My brother is faster than any calculator I've ever used. My son's paternal grandparents were both math teachers at the high skool level.

My son sounds like he has a brain like yours, from the way he talks. I always thought that he was pulling my leg, since if the problem gets into double digits I have to take my shoes off to count that high!

Top Bottom