What's new

LATEX Matresses

My wife and I bought a latex mattress from SleepEZ (www.sleepez.com) and have loved it. Completely customizable for both sides of the bed, so my wife, who's a stomach sleeper, has medium-soft-soft layers, and I, a side sleeper, have firm-medium-medium layers. Ours is a mix of dunlop and talalay layers (in the research I did, the recommendation was for dunlop in the bottom layers and talalay in the top layer), but I believe you can go 100% talalay if you want. I think they provide an "intro" period of time where you can exchange for different layers for free.

It was more expensive than the popular online bed-in-a-box retailers, but worth it for the customization and the lifespan of 100% latex. I've gone the memory foam route before and never will again - the foam loses its resiliency quickly, and after that you're just sleeping in a sinkhole.

My wife and I bought a latex mattress from SleepEZ (www.sleepez.com) and have loved it. Completely customizable for both sides of the bed, so my wife, who's a stomach sleeper, has medium-soft-soft layers, and I, a side sleeper, have firm-medium-medium layers. Ours is a mix of dunlop and talalay layers (in the research I did, the recommendation was for dunlop in the bottom layers and talalay in the top layer), but I believe you can go 100% talalay if you want. I think they provide an "intro" period of time where you can exchange for different layers for free.

It was more expensive than the popular online bed-in-a-box retailers, but worth it for the customization and the lifespan of 100% latex. I've gone the memory foam route before and never will again - the foam loses its resiliency quickly, and after that you're just sleeping in a sinkhole.
I'm still researching , but so far SleepEZ is in the top 3 choices...

Is a Talalay really better than a Dunlop? Is Latex better than some memory foam? Those are mostly rhetorical questions as when I research I see some good information but nothing conclusive about what works best for good sleeping, health, and well being. Which leads me to believe that much of it is marketing hype and some of it more an issue of people wanting to get a natural product (plant based latex) vs foam (petroleum based....which was once a plant a long time back). But again what is really best for your back/side/stomach to provide a good nights sleep?

I do not know the answer to any of these questions but recently bought a foam mattress in a box from Mattress Firm (mega chain store in my area). I bought it not because I thought it was the absolute best but at a low enough price point I could afford to throw out and replace if it did not work out in the months/years ahead. It came down to that or a traditional inner spring mattress. So far it is much more comfortable than the too-hard Foam/Latex hybrid mattress that it is replacing.

Dunlop vs. Talalay is one debate, but both vs. cheaper "foams" is pretty clear. The "memory foam" type products contain toxic chemicals, and there is no way to prevent outgassing. You'll be laying on the mattress inhaling the fumes every night....I suppose if you are a smoker it won't make much difference however.
foam.JPG

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Dunlop vs. Talalay is one debate, but both vs. cheaper "foams" is pretty clear. The "memory foam" type products contain toxic chemicals, and there is no way to prevent outgassing. You'll be laying on the mattress inhaling the fumes every night....I suppose if you are a smoker it won't make much difference however.View attachment 888191
Smoking in a petrochemical bed isn't a good idea either
:)

The Ironman mattress is supposed to be good. We just bought our first latex mattress after terrible memory foam experiences and are hoping it lives up to the hype,

Dunlop vs. Talalay is one debate, but both vs. cheaper "foams" is pretty clear. The "memory foam" type products contain toxic chemicals, and there is no way to prevent outgassing. You'll be laying on the mattress inhaling the fumes every night....I suppose if you are a smoker it won't make much difference however.View attachment 888191
You are right about smell. I let my new mattress air out for 36 hours before use in different room but it still had that new car new mattress smell the first night. But it has dissipated fairly quickly. That said when judging various mattress materials based on comfort and durability there are still unanswered questions in my mind about which is better and which is best.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
See reply to #25 above.
I just paid some big bucks to have asbestos removed from basement hearing piping so I don't want to lie in a petrochemical chemical soup of off gas
natural latex being delivered tomorrow

I just paid some big bucks to have asbestos removed from basement hearing piping so I don't want to lie in a petrochemical chemical soup of off gas
natural latex being delivered tomorrow
Smart guy....my 21 year old step niece decided to remove a popcorn ceiling herself...She died age 23 from asbestosis of the lungs..

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Smart guy....my 21 year old step niece decided to remove a popcorn ceiling herself...She died age 23 from asbestosis of the lungs..
Omg that is horrible
So young and just two years progression .Very sorry to hear this

Top Bottom